Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Hard brown sugar

Posted by Heather F 
Hard brown sugar
April 04, 2019 01:14PM
Hi FL, well I'm excited! (it doesn't take much lol). I had some dark brown sugar in a container that had gone hard as in concrete hard. I was about to toss it when I saw somewhere online, to put a slice of bread in the container to soften it. Sounded a bit weird but hey there was nothing to lose, so this morning I put the crust end in. Just got home tonight and had a look - and hey presto! As soft and friable as if it had come straight out of the packet. And the crust has gone hard. How good is that? Hope I'm not the only one who didn't know this trick...
Re: Hard brown sugar
April 04, 2019 10:09PM
Thanks for sharing that one Heather. Much appreciated
April 04, 2019 10:44PM
Definitely works. A few years ago I purchased a small clay disk that you soak in water for 20 minutes, dry off and add to your brown sugar. Keeps sugar soft for a long time.
April 05, 2019 01:55AM
Thanks for the tip, Heather. I wonder if it would work with products such as milo that often goes hard if left for a while..
April 05, 2019 10:37AM
Hi Marnie - worth giving it a go. I've got a tin of malted milk powder that is also rock hard and I'm going to give that a try too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 10:38AM by Heather F.
April 06, 2019 12:31AM
How simple, these little things are so good to know. I wonder about salt & chicken stock which I have & have gone hard will do this.
April 13, 2019 09:56AM
Thanks Heather, will use this tip .
April 14, 2019 03:40AM
And just an update. I did wonder after I took the slice of bread out if the sugar would go hard again, but this morning when I made a banana cake, it was still as soft.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.