Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Passionfruit Pulp

Posted by marylew 
Passionfruit Pulp
April 07, 2019 04:51AM
I have come across a few recipes using passion fruit pulp.I don't grow them so I don't have any in my freezer.I know you can still buy them fresh at supermarkets etc. but if you need to use passion fruit out of season is pulp sold in containers or frozen?.I only know of the sweetened passion fruit pulp in a little plastic jar with a screw top which I thought is only used as an ice cream topping or is this what some recipes are meaning?Thanks.
Re: Passionfruit Pulp
April 07, 2019 08:44AM
Last year I bought it in a pouch from Vetro which is a Mediterranean food store here in Rotorua. Maybe Gilmores?
April 07, 2019 09:38AM
I am sure that you can buy it frozen in the supermarket - where you would purchase frozen blueberries, raspberries etc
April 07, 2019 10:52PM
They are in season right now and a really good price at all our local vege stores. For years I have simply bought them when cheap and put in the freezer as is - don't remove the pulp just bag the whole fruit and freeze. When you need passionfruit just take out as many as you need and defrost on the bench for an hour or so and they're like new. If you're in a hurry float in warm water for a few minutes before cutting open. If you are short on freezer space of course you can put the pulp into ice cube molds and freeze then bag for later use. Now is the time of year though!
April 11, 2019 10:27PM
Thank you very much for your suggestions Ali, Gran and Danube.All very helpful as I usually come across a cake or slice recipe out of season and this is when I most feel like baking.Much appreciated.
April 14, 2019 03:15AM
I have very occasionally seen frozen (they are in cubes in the packet ) at P Save and N World but hardly ever. Never seen at countdown

If wanting to make a S Saucing Passionfruit pudding, Impossible Pie mousse, or similar, where recipe requires a lot of juice and water, there is a tiny tin at Countdown own brand that suits this purpose
It is not suitable for decorating or drizzling over desserts, as it is too watery is 2.00 if special or 2.50 usual price I think, small tin 170ml which is just over 2/3 of a cup

I am not so keen on the frozen pulp in relation to fresh, unless requiring it for juice only and wanting to strain seeds out - the seeds after freezing are quite separate so easy to strain, but not so good for decorating as they no longer have the jelly coated seeds of fresh
April 18, 2019 11:27PM
I have never noticed a change in the pulp when frozen in their own shells so in the interests of science I took out one from the bag I froze last year (covered with snow in the bag) let it defrost on the bench and cut it open - It was perfect, not dried out and the pulp was still attached to the seeds so I still think this is the easiest and best way to keep them out of season. My Grandmother told me to do it over 20 years ago so its a tried and true method.smiling smiley
April 19, 2019 12:47AM
HeatherH thank you for your feedback and Danube I love your method thanks.
April 19, 2019 03:43AM
I was speaking of freezing pulp in small jars with a little sugar - then on unfreezing to use, it is not nearly as good as fresh as seeds are bare (no jelly around the seeds like when fresh)

But Danube, it is good to know that when you freeze in their shells - not scooped out, that they do retain the pulp around the seeds
Perhaps the bit of sugar I mix with pulp, is causing p/f to have bare seeds - could try that

I do not have room in freezer to freeze bags of whole p/fruit
April 19, 2019 05:37AM
I'm not sure what it is HeatherH but I used to scoop out the pulp and freeze in ice cube trays then when frozen bag free flow for later but they seemed to suffer as you say being a bit watery and seedy, also they got freezer burn really easily dried up and tasted freezery (no such word but you know what I mean). Your freezer sounds like mine, chocker but even a couple popped in a corner in a sandwich bag is handy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.