Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Quinces?

Posted by CarolynC 
Quinces?
April 17, 2019 04:16AM
from my Foodlovers email with the recipe for a quince tart, is it safe to assume quince season is now underway? I normally go out west to Boric's for quinces, but it's a long way to go if they're not in season yet.
Re: Quinces?
April 17, 2019 07:30AM
Hi Carolyn, yes quince season is here and just finishing for me.
I can see if there are any left on my tree and drop them off if there are.
How many would you be wanting?
April 17, 2019 09:54AM
Wow, Helen, that would be fantastic if you don't want them. Thanks so much for the offer either way! I normally get four. If you don't have them, sounds like I need to race out west pretty soon if the season's actually ending.
April 17, 2019 11:15AM
Carolyn I will check the tree in the morning.
April 17, 2019 11:12PM
I got given a huge bag of quinces the other day, at least 30 of them totally codlin moth-free. I'm busy simply simmering several pots- full to freeze for various deserts throughout winter and will turn a slow-cooker pot of them into membrillo, using Julie Goodwin's recipe. I use Jane Grigsons recipe for Quince Liqueur to use up the leftover juice from all that quince cooking. Both Julie's and Jane's recipes are available online if anyone's interested.
April 19, 2019 03:47PM
Lorna, I'm intrigued by you using a slow cooker to cook the quinces. I normally boil mine for four hours, long after they're soft, as it takes that long for the flesh to turn orange and that improves the flavour IMO. Does the flesh change colour when you use the slow cooker? I'd love to use one if I can.
April 19, 2019 11:09PM
Carolyn C, yes, the quinces turn a beautiful shade of deep orangey-pink. Sunset could describe the colour. Here is Julie Goodwin's recipe that I use:

[lovefoodhatewaste.co.nz]
April 22, 2019 05:39AM
Carolyn I did manage to pick you a few quince but just a bit worried about whether they will have codlin moth so while I will drop them off, I wouldn't rely on them for quality.
April 22, 2019 11:36PM
You will know if your quince have codling moth - the first generation enter the fruit through the blossom end and second generation codling moth usually enter through the side, leaving a brown hole. The fruit surrounding the hole gradually gets a circle of brown that gets bigger an bigger as time goes by. It's the seed they're after so even if you miss a hole, you will see the lavae or fattening caterpillar in the core.
April 23, 2019 03:23PM
Thanks very much, Helen! Very much appreciated. And Lorna, thanks for the tips on looking for possible moth damage. Fingers crossed I can avoid delicious slow-cooked larvaesmiling smiley.
April 24, 2019 12:56AM
It's all extra protein, CarolynC, and you probably wouldn't even notice it once you've blended it all together if making membrillo. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.