Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Standard Pantry Items

Posted by helen 
Standard Pantry Items
April 30, 2019 05:29AM
I am currently putting together a ist of standard pantry (including fridge) items that I can assume that most houses would have.
It would be great to get your input on this.

I am starting out with

flour
white sugar
brown sugar
baking soda
baking powder
soy sauce
fish sauce
tomato sauce
olive oil
another oil - eg canola or rice bran
tomato paste
salt/pepper
cinnamon
what other spices do you think are mainstream?
rice
pasta
milk
butter
eggs
cheddar cheese - tasty and/or Colby

this is just the start and I am keen to hear of other items or if you disagree with my list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2019 05:30AM by helen.
Re: Standard Pantry Items
April 30, 2019 05:56AM
Tinned tomatoes.
Onions

I'm not sure that I'd expect average NZers to have fish sauce. I also think there is a big difference between what I (NZ born white female in my 50s no kids at home) would consider standard, and someone like my neighbour (Iraqi, in her 20s with 2 little ones) would consider standard.
April 30, 2019 06:31AM
Cocoa powder, curry powder and maybe mustard powder, maybe not mustard powder? Vinegar?
Regards,
Dawn.
April 30, 2019 08:24AM
Griz - I really agree with the point you make. It must depend on what style of cuisine the pantry items are designed for.
April 30, 2019 08:48AM
I agree with Griz, and I don't think there is a standard pantry these days. Many cooks don't bake at all, many cook simple Ind*an and Asian food regularly.

Helen, what is the purpose of the list? Your suggestions (apart from the fish sauce) point to a rather old fashioned household where there is a lot of baking, similar to that of my mother in the seventies.

As for spices, even the most old fashioned household would have nutmeg, powdered ginger and allspice, possibly sweet paprika. A modern household might have powdered cumin, turmeric, coriander and chilli.

What about onions and garlic?
April 30, 2019 08:08PM
My list is for a client who want a limited number of non pantry essentials in each of their recipes.
Their market is middle NZ families.
Companies that do ready made meal plans eg Hello Fresh, have a list of pantry staples that they assume you have and therefore don’t provide.
It is this kind of list that I need to compile. I haven’t seen Hello Fresh list.
Thanks for your help!
Any more suggestions are welcome.
Yes of course onions and garlic. Thanks.
Do some of you not have flour or raising agents. I was thinking they would be staples.
Is cocoa a staple do you think?
April 30, 2019 10:41PM
Personally, I think fish sauce and tamarind paste should be staples in every home. They are wonderful for bringing out the flavour of other ingredients and adding umami to many a dish if judiciously used. But then, I tend to cook 'from scratch' rather than using packet sauces, etc.
April 30, 2019 11:58PM
Stock cubes, Worcestershire sauce and cooking wine - sherry is a good all rounder suitable for both western and Asian marinades, although I use rice wine for Chinese cooking & red for western. Cornflour is another staple in our pantry.
May 01, 2019 12:34AM
helen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do some of you not have flour or raising agents.
> I was thinking they would be staples.

I guess I'm not the target market, but to answer your question I don't have flour apart from a little bag of rice flour which I rarely use. I do have a packet of baking powder but it expired in 2014 and I should throw it out... Baking soda is there for cleaning and for soaking chick peas.
J1
May 01, 2019 03:30AM
Mayonnaise
Rolled Oats
Yeast extract (Vegemite/Marmite)
Honey
Peanut Butter
Jam
Coffee/tea
Vanilla essence/extract
May 01, 2019 04:21AM
Interesting, the one time I got a Hello Fresh box to try I had to run to the supermarket for 2 things which they considered "pantry essentials" but weren't in my pantry (can't remember now what they were). I also didn't have 2 pieces of equipment they assumed everyone would have, which meant I had to adapt the cooking methods. Now I'm a pretty experienced cook, I have a well stocked pantry and kitchen. It kind of put me off HF, I've also had the Nadia Lim Ready in 20 boxes, never needed a quick trip to the shop with those, but they are a bit hit and miss.
May 01, 2019 07:09AM
To add to what others have suggested - there are no dried herbs on your list. I'd consider them a definite staple. Thyme and oregano would be the most basic ones - but perhaps your client includes fresh herbs with their meal kits? I have wholemeal, rye, plain white and high grade white flour, but then I make my own bread. I guess people who don't bake wouldn't have any at all. I agree that while fish sauce is a staple for me I'm sure in a lot of households it's not. I doubt that tomato paste is either to be honest. I see My Food Bag considers mayonnaise and soy sauce staples based.on feedback from their users.
May 02, 2019 12:13AM
Staples in my pantry that may differ from suggestions above

Stock - cubes but prefer the gel.
Tinned Tomatoes and or paste
Baked Beans - or other tinned beans - so useful esp if you have kids.
Marmite
Yeast SACHETS
Teriyaki sauce/oyster sauce and soy sauce
A mixed herb/salt seasoning - there are many =varieties but super useful.
Vinegar
Cocoa
Vanilla essence
Garlic granules OR garlic and onions
Breadcrumbs - super useful

Vanessa
May 02, 2019 04:28AM
I have all the items Helen mentioned and most of those in the posts by J1 and Vanessa.
I always have paprika, powdered ginger and tabasco.plus those others mentioned by TPANDAV in the pantry.

At the moment my husband (who always thought the good fairy did the kitchen work) is usually on kitchen duty while I am hobbling around and using a cane, so things are very much basic here. Knee replacement operation is looming.
May 04, 2019 07:25AM
I can't believe that pantries don't have flour and cornflour in them

I understand if no-one ever bakes that there wouldn't be s r flour (I wouldn't do without it) but isn't flour/cornflour needed with the Panko crumbs to crumb something and also needed for thickening a sauce or gravy and many other uses - making courgette or mussel fritters, - not all use of flour/cornflour is in baking

A true quiche would never have in it but the frittata bakes that many recipes are around now, or for variations. all have flour in them as more milk/liquid in them than a quiche

I don't have nutmeg, cardamon, chilli powders in my pantry as I hate them but prob are considered staple for many
I have Cinnamon, for apple cakes, etc mixed spice only for Xmas cakes and Xmas mince, ginger, only for ginger crunch as I use fresh ginger for cooking never powder

Yes my pantry is very different to ones who can't or won't bake anything, but to not have any flour/cornflour when often needed in meals, seems unbelievable
How expensive it must be if always buying in ready meals
May 04, 2019 08:00AM
HeatherH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe that pantries don't have flour and
> cornflour in them
>
> I understand if no-one ever bakes that there
> wouldn't be s r flour (I wouldn't do without it)
> but isn't flour/cornflour needed with the Panko
> crumbs to crumb something and also needed for
> thickening a sauce or gravy and many other uses
> - making courgette or mussel fritters, - not
> all use of flour/cornflour is in baking
>
> A true quiche would never have in it but the
> frittata bakes that many recipes are around now,
> or for variations. all have flour in them as more
> milk/liquid in them than a quiche
>
> I don't have nutmeg, cardamon, chilli powders in
> my pantry as I hate them but prob are considered
> staple for many
> I have Cinnamon, for apple cakes, etc mixed
> spice only for Xmas cakes and Xmas mince, ginger,
> only for ginger crunch as I use fresh ginger for
> cooking never powder
>
> Yes my pantry is very different to ones who can't
> or won't bake anything, but to not have any
> flour/cornflour when often needed in meals, seems
> unbelievable
> How expensive it must be if always buying in
> ready meals

I assure you that I have no flour in my pantry. There are other ways of cooking. To use your examples:

Crumbing things? I don't do this much, just the occasional fish cake or potato croquette. I use egg then ground or flaked almonds.

Frittata? An Italian frittata never has flour or milk in it, it is made from eggs, Parmigiano-Reggiano and vegetables or prawns or ricotta. I don't make quiches.

Thickening sauces? I make emulsion sauces like Béarnaise, or thicken by reduction or with a vegetable purée. Mainly by reduction of sauces based on home made stock then finished with butter.
DK
May 04, 2019 11:30PM
I second the additions of:
Vinegar ( I have malt, white, apple cider, sherry, raspberry and tarragon vinegars but basic white vinegar might be considered the staple).
Cornflour
May 09, 2019 08:44AM
Here is my list

flour
white sugar
brown sugar
baking soda
baking powder
soy sauce
fish sauce
tomato sauce
olive oil
another oil - eg canola or rice bran
tomato paste
salt/pepper
cinnamon
what other spices do you think are mainstream?
rice
pasta
milk
butter
eggs
cheddar cheese - tasty and/or Colby

Additions
Balsamic vinegar
wine vinegar
onions
Garlic
Stock- chicken usually
Maple syrup
Golden syrup
Rolled oats
cocoa
Tinned tomatoes
Tinned beans (cannelini usually)
Dried herbs - oregano, thyme (others as well but they are less used)
Spices - ginger, cumin, paprika (other as well but less used)
Hot Chilli sauce
Sweet Chilli sauce
May 09, 2019 11:58PM
Great, thanks so much, this is so helpful.
May 13, 2019 06:16AM
I think an Auckland pantry might vary considerably to those outside the city. In Auckland we are exposed more to a variety of ethnic flavours and again it depends on the cultural background of people. If I look in my pantry and then compare it to my Chinese or African friends there is very little in common. I would not expect to find fish sauce, soy sauce or even garlic in the pantry of some of my rural friends. This is not a criticism, it is just that we are now so diverse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.