Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Lack of Horlicks

Posted by Lyn V 
Lack of Horlicks
May 03, 2019 11:51AM
It seems that Horlicks drink is not coming into NZ which I am rather sad about as I don’t sleep well & so it was my go to in the night. Does anyone know of anything similar that might be available we are not Milo or cocoa/chocolate people. Thanks.
Re: Lack of Horlicks
May 03, 2019 01:19PM
Nothing like horlicks but lemon verbena tea is a great sleep aid - aloysia citrodora. 5 /6 leaves steeped in boiling water. Much more effective than camomile.
May 03, 2019 01:37PM
Where do you live, LynV? I was having a poke through the internet to see what I could learn, and it appears New World Mt Roskill stocks it, as I was able to add it to my online shopping trolley for that branch (I live nowhere near, but a google search brought it up). May be worth stocking up if you're in Auckland?
May 03, 2019 10:12PM
Thanks Jenna I am in Orewa so will try some up this way today & Meganp I will think on that because it is often at 2am or thereabouts & want something quick to put together but will look at it as a supper one. Thank you both.
May 03, 2019 11:16PM
Have you tried ovaltine?
May 04, 2019 08:46AM
I'd look for a supermarket which imports stuff for the British ex-pat market. Here that is Pak n Save, you can get most things there and I'd imagine they'd be able to get Horlicks.
May 04, 2019 10:07PM
never thought of that Griz we have one in Orewa, i have asked a friend to bring some back from Australia. We could try Ovaltine tx.d
May 14, 2019 10:48AM
There is a shop in Browns Bay that imports for the British community too - not far for you. Ive no idea if they stock it tho.

I googled it for you and got excited to find it here [www.alittlebitofbritain.co.nz] BUT sadly out of stock.

Vanessa
May 19, 2019 12:03PM
Have tried British shops but it is a bulk buy thing & so maybe at Christmas time they bring it in. I can’t even find Ovaltine but will keep looking for something. I do miss it though.
May 21, 2019 08:38AM
Oh No! How will I make those Malteser like things at Christmas?sad smiley
May 21, 2019 09:55AM
Brewing supplies shops used to sell malt powder, which smells and tastes like Horlicks, but not as sweet. It might be worth checking out. From memory it wasn't expensive.
May 26, 2019 05:53AM
An update, seems l8k3 i5 is not coming into NZ or Australia any mor3 so maybe going out of production altogether. I found an Ovaltine which we are finding ok.
May 27, 2019 12:49AM
Love your spelling of what I assume is Horlicks. How did you manage that?
May 27, 2019 12:57AM
When I was a child, Horlicks was a white, creamy, foul-tasting hot drink that my brother loved but I couldn't stand. On the other hand, Ovaltine used to be a crunchy granular, malted chocolate drink that I liked eating with a spoon straight from the tin. How products change over the years!
November 23, 2019 12:41PM
Just found this old thread and highly recommend magnesium capsules for anyone who can't sleep.
Healtheries do a good one.
Available at most supermarkets, unlike Horlicks which was taken over by Unilever and they are re-thinking how "healthy" it is :-(.

It helped you sleep because it too contained magnesium and wheat both of which are soporifics.
November 23, 2019 09:28PM
WaitakereLynda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just found this old thread and highly recommend
> magnesium capsules for anyone who can't sleep.
> Healtheries do a good one.
> Available at most supermarkets, unlike Horlicks
> which was taken over by Unilever and they are
> re-thinking how "healthy" it is :-(.
>
> It helped you sleep because it too contained
> magnesium and wheat both of which are soporifics.

I find magnesium very helpful for sleep. I didn't know that Horlicks was a significant source.
November 23, 2019 10:00PM
I agree too re magnesium tablets. I find them excellent for sleep.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 10:00PM by Dawn.
November 23, 2019 10:21PM
Does magnesium help you get to sleep, or keep you asleep, or to go back to sleep once something has woken you in the wee small hours. I have no problem going to sleep and sleeping for 5 - 6 hours but then I wake around 3am and just cannot get back to sleep again. Going to bed a bit later is not an option, my eyes are closing and my body demanding sleep by around 9 or 10pm.
November 23, 2019 11:53PM
I used to wake up after about three hours sleep and I found that once I started to take a magnesium supplement I was much more likely to sleep right through 6 1/2 - 7 hours; for me it was a miraculous improvement.
November 24, 2019 12:05AM
I have osteoarthritis and have noticed a marked improvement in getting to sleep and staying asleep, and yes, if I awaken in the early hours, I think it definitely helps to get me back to sleep again.
D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 12:05AM by Dawn.
November 24, 2019 08:23PM
Thanks for all advice i will try magnesium, just picked up on my spelling Lorna caused by lack of sleep. Ha ha
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.