Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Risotto

Posted by Vanessa45 
Risotto
May 14, 2019 10:34AM
Does anyone make risotto in the rice cooker?

I just purchased packet rice risotto, I know terrible compared to the real thing BUT it was a bit of a nostalgic purchase.

I cooked it in the rice maker but have just realised its actually rice mixed with orzo pasta and stock. Its not even aborio rice! It actually works well though.

For something cheap and cheerful, it actually tasted pretty good, especially with grated parmesan.
Half the packet of flavouring next time tho.

Vanessa
Re: Risotto
May 14, 2019 12:43PM
Quite nostalgic Vanessa, my mum used to make the packet version when we were small and decorate the top with hard boiled egg quarters and parsley, it was certainly not risotto as we know it but my brothers loved it! (in the 70's) I think there was only one flavour back then, chicken if I remember rightly. I have made it on and off over the years and my kids have really enjoyed it too.
The texture I think as per packet directions is more like a paella, drier than I would like risotto to be and as you say too much processed saltyness but pretty good all the same. I have tried adding heaps of fresh ingredients like mushrooms, chicken and other veges to negate that but it still tastes the same LOL.
May 14, 2019 01:10PM
We also used to have our risotto with quartered egg and parsley, I wonder if it was a serving idea from the packet? But we had savoury curry flavour. I also used to make it with mince added to it and mixed veges (this back in the late 80s, before I learned to cook!). I actually liked it the next day a bit better than freshly done.
May 15, 2019 05:50AM
I used to let it cool overnight in the fridge and the next day added diced meat (ham, chicken or salami) and salad vegetables - it makes a good orzo/rice salad. I don't recall adding dressing but some lemon juice or balsamic vinegar would be a great addition. Could also add olives, feta, whatever....
May 21, 2019 11:30AM
Just to update the rice risotto - my kids didn't enjoy it at all!

Funny, they thought it was too fake and packet tasting eye rolling smiley.

I enjoyed the nostalgia however - if only I had some flying saucers . to add to it - that would have made my day! Double cheese sizzlers would do the . trick for next time and I will just sit on the couch, with a good movie, a glass of red wine and devour it myself!

Vanessa
May 21, 2019 06:58PM
Oh my goodness, yes we did make it with double cheese sizzlers! I never understood the Frying Saucers though.
May 23, 2019 08:47AM
Im remembering them from way back so maybe today they just wouldn't cut it!
Im a member of a facebook page called "Bring back flying saucers" - it's not looking hopeful.

Vanessa
May 24, 2019 02:17AM
Can I ask what Flying Saucers were? I remember the name but can't remember what they were or even what they looked like.

Twice Cooked
[www.twicecooked.co.nz]
May 24, 2019 09:04AM
Weren't they 'Frying" saucers? I remember them being horrible!
May 24, 2019 10:25AM
I haven't eaten one, but I do recall the racist advertising for Frying Saucers. I hope that campaign would not be permitted these days.
May 25, 2019 05:59AM
Yes, I remember the awful ad too.
May 25, 2019 07:53AM
Can't remember the ad but weren't they sort of part beef mince and vegetables with part potato filling in a flat disc covered with thin pastry that you shallow fried? Again popular with the boys in our family at the time.
May 28, 2019 04:25AM
Ha Ha yes frying saucers - they were called Beef and Vegetable Rissoles
Heres a picture of them from the facebook page.

I bet if I had them today, I would be disappointed despite the nostalgia.
Vanessa
Attachments:
open | download - Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 1.23.47 PM.png (779.2 KB)
May 29, 2019 12:44AM
I can remember the packaging now but I don't think I ever tried them. I may have been vegetarian by then.

Twice Cooked
[www.twicecooked.co.nz]
May 29, 2019 09:03AM
Vanessa i have made a risotto in the fast slow cooker [www.seriouseats.com]
Not sure if this works in a rice cooker.
May 30, 2019 01:02AM
Vanessa, I have Beth Henspergers book, The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cook Book and she has quite a few recipes for various risottos. Is there any particular risotto you are looking for? As an example, she has recipes for Risotto Milanese, Butternut Squash Rissoto, Dried Mushroom R. Asparagus & Mushroom R. Prawn R. Italian Sausage R. Risi e bisi ( rice & peas).

Her rice section starts off with the following, which risotto lovers might find useful:

"There are three distinct steps to making risotto: cooking the onion and rice, adding the stock and other ingredients, and adding the butter and cheese to finish, known as 'creaming.' Note that Arborio rice is never washed; you want all the starch to make the creamy dish just right."

She then goes on to give very full instructions for a basic risotto recipe, taking up nearly a whole page, and this is followed by the recipes I have named above, and finishing with a recipe for Boiled Italian Rice, which apparently the French love. For this section alone, her book is worth having. It's 350 pages of golden information and recipes for anyone who owns, or is thinking of owning, a rice cooker.
June 04, 2019 11:00AM
Thanks Lorna
I love the three steps - my mouth is watering and feel often that all you need, simple and great ingredients. I actually like the process and do enjoy cooking a lot but find after a day at work and walking in the door with hungry kids, I need easy BUT still want great flavours with good honest ingredients.
I am keen to hunt out the book though - Ha Ha Ive just done a post about decluttering the cook books - maybe I need to re assess that and visit the twicecooked website ;-)
Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2019 11:00AM by Vanessa45.
June 04, 2019 10:55PM
Vanessa, it's available at The Book Depository for $NZ22.86 with free delivery to NZ. There are several editions of the book there, but this one is the cheapest and also the exact same edition that I have, so I can vouch for it being excellent. See here:
[www.bookdepository.com]
June 28, 2019 09:40AM
This recipe is amazing - like it says you can throw all the stock in at once and it turns out fine.
[selfindulgence.wordpress.com]
You don't have to add the pea puree if you want a basic recipe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.