Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Tea fruit loaf

Posted by Ali W 
Tea fruit loaf
June 21, 2019 09:47AM
I had some friends over for afternoon tea today, so made an old fashioned fruit loaf - the fruit soaked in strong tea overnight. It was a huge success with me sending home slices as “play lunch” for the husbands.

Somehow the oldies but goodies will always prevail in my circles,
Re: Tea fruit loaf
June 22, 2019 08:12AM
I agree Ali. There is no point reinventing something that is already lovely.
June 23, 2019 03:31PM
I agree, a well made fruit loaf is a joy. Men in particular love it. I have a crayfish for date loaf deal with one of our mates.
June 23, 2019 11:41PM
Wow Griz - that's a pretty scrummy deal you have going with a mate!!

I regularly make the beautiful date loaf which somebody posted here quite a few years ago. It makes two lovely moist loaves and is great to put into the freezer to use when needed.
Regards,
Dawn.
June 23, 2019 11:41PM
Griz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree, a well made fruit loaf is a joy. Men in
> particular love it. I have a crayfish for date
> loaf deal with one of our mates.

I’d be baking like mad. What a deal.
June 24, 2019 01:27AM
Dawn is this the date loaf that you make from here or another one?

Moist Date Loaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 01:27AM by helen.
June 24, 2019 02:23AM
Yes that's it Helen - sorry I didn't realise it was your's - I love it, so easy to make and it's extremely popular with the men also!

( winking smiley from my Husband!)

Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 02:25AM by Dawn.
June 24, 2019 09:13AM
Helen, can this be made as 1 larger loaf? If so, what would be the baking time?

Thanks

Ali
June 25, 2019 11:08AM
Ali W the date loaf recipe makes two decent sized loaves, so I would hesitate at making just one as IMHO your loaf tin would need to be extremely large. Halve the recipe if you want to make just one loaf, but in making two loaves they freeze very successfully.
Regards,
Dawn.
June 25, 2019 11:25AM
Thanks Dawn.
June 26, 2019 12:48AM
helen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dawn is this the date loaf that you make from here
> or another one?
>
> [url=https://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/moist-da
> te-loaf.html]Moist Date Loaf[/url]

I just checked out this recipe and the comments and came across Zeetra’s name. I wonder what happened to her. She was at times a prolific contributor.
June 26, 2019 06:53AM
While I want to be very diplomatic - at times the forum changes and i think it was at one of those changes that Zeetra went quiet.

But I could be wrong.

There are times when I slip away too - we all have different needs and tastes.
June 26, 2019 07:36AM
Oh that is interesting re Zeetra.
She is active on facebook and often comments on my posts there.
I will go and check in with her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2019 08:56AM by helen.
June 26, 2019 07:42AM
I always think the old recipes are enjoyed. I still make them.
June 28, 2019 05:42AM
I worked for a catering company and was clearing up after a funeral afternoon tea at a High Anglican church hall in Wellington. The Vicar came in and I suggested he take what ever he would like from the left overs. He gazed upon the fruit loaf and told me that his mother always said that "people who do not know how to bake make loaves". I think of him often when I take a deliciously spicy smelling, fruit loaf of the oven.
July 14, 2019 07:18AM
Changing the subject slightly, but still about Loaves, Helen I made your Gingerbread Loaf today, (in between power cuts) the recipe came from the Foodtown magazine when you wrote the 'Prime Pickings' section. In your recipe it was served as dessert topped with caramelized fresh pineapple, with a drizzle of the pan juice from the caramelized pineapple, and icecream (yum) . I make your Gingerbread recipe often when we have visitors and tomorrow the grandchildren will be here to stay. I notice this particular recipe isn't in your Foodlovers recipe bank and thinking that maybe copyright doesn't allow you to use it here. It is a lovely loaf and so easy to make.
Regards,
Dawn.
July 14, 2019 09:14AM
Now you know what is going to happen don't you!
July 14, 2019 10:54PM
No, do tell us Ali W.
July 14, 2019 11:53PM
Every man (or woman) and his dog will want the recipe!
July 16, 2019 12:08AM
Ah, see. Thank you Ali W. No takers yet though. I must admit, I've stopped copying recipes for cakes and desserts because think they sound so delicious but I never get round to making them, as there's just me at home.
J1
July 16, 2019 02:10AM
I'm a bit like that Lorna - I like making new cakes and desserts just for the curiosity of how they turn out and what they taste like but I don't actually want them! I thought I could continue baking and give the results to the local food bank but it's not like you can give away a cake that's had a small slice taken out of it, or a warm pudding with a large spoonful missing......
July 16, 2019 04:10AM
It's not often I ask for a recipe now either, but I do cook for men who do physical work and come in for morning tea and look forward to having it with a home made biscuit or slice. And no, I haven't had anyone asking for the recipe and didn't expect it, but just thought it was unusual that Helen didn't have it in her recipe bank.

I did make the Coffee biscuits recipe Ali and they were very much enjoyed.
Regards,
Dawn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.