Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Homemade dips and spreads

Posted by cantabcook 
Homemade dips and spreads
July 30, 2019 12:40AM
I am quite partial to a nice spread or dip with fresh breads if I'm out and about. However, its not something I make a lot at home much apart from a fairly basic hummus or the good old maggi onion/reduced cream dip. Some of the best flavours I have tried (and would love to replicate) are sundried tomato ones, a spiced pumpkin and other flavoured hummus. They would also be a great option to have in the fridge for the ever-hungry teenagers.

Does anyone have any simple and fast prep dips or spreads they would like to share please?
Re: Homemade dips and spreads
July 30, 2019 12:56AM
This is my all time favourite:

Beetroot & Yoghurt Dip

1 medium sized beetroot, cooked
125 ml tahini
2 tab olive oil
juice 1 - 2 lemons
small clove garlic
salt & pepper
1 c thick yoghurt

Purée beetroot, add all but yoghurt and amalgamate well. Beat in yoghurt. Check seasoning and if necessary balance with more salt or lemon juice.

Serve in flat bowl with oil and diced cucumber on top. Serve with pita or Turkish bread
July 30, 2019 12:57AM
Mutabal

2 large black eggplants
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp salt
2 tab tahini
juice of 2 - 3 lemons
3 - 4 tab extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp freshly ground cumin
2 tsp sweet paprika

Cook the eggplants whole, either over a barbecue or over a gas ring, until soft and completely charred.   Make a few slashes in them and leave to drain for 30 minutes or until cool enough to handle.   Take off skin and finely chop the flesh to make a coarse puree.

While the eggplants are cooking, use a mortar and pestle or mini-processor to reduce the garlic and salt to a smooth paste, add tahini and juice of two lemons, 2 tab oil, cumin and paprika.

Whisk the paste into the eggplant and taste for balance.   It should be quite lemony and oily; add more lemon or oil as necessary.

Serve at room temperature.
July 30, 2019 01:00AM
Avocado Hummus

8 – 10

150g chick peas – soaked & cooked (keep water)
juice 2 lemons
2 garlic cloves
3 tab tahini
2 tab olive oil (or avocado oil)
2 avocados
salt

Pureé chick peas with 3 tab cooking water, add everything else and blitz, adding more cooking water if necessary.
July 30, 2019 01:01AM
Beetroot, Pomegranate Molasses and Walnut Dip

spread it out meze-style on a flat plate, drizzled with olive oil, alongside thick, dill-scented yoghurt and warmed pita bread.

4 x medium beetroot
11/2 cups walnuts, lightly toasted
2-3 T pomegranate molasses
Approx 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Flaky sea salt to taste

Heat oven to 170C. Cut the stalks and tails off the beetroot and wrap in foil. Bake for an hour or so until tender.
Rub away the thin skin clinging to the beetroot, pat dry. Chop the beetroot into small cubes.
Put the beetroot, walnuts, half the oil, half the pomegranate molasses and a pinch of salt into the food processor and pulse to chop - leave some texture rather than a very smooth and uniform paste. Balance the ratio of sweet beet to sour molasses and don't skimp on the salt. If you want a firmer texture go easy on the olive oil.
Ideally let this sit about, covered, for at least an hour at room temp before eating. Will keep for several days in the fridge
July 30, 2019 01:02AM
Carrot Caraway Labneh (Shane Delia)

1/2 tsp caraway seeds
50 ml olive oil
450g carrots, peeled and grated
500g labneh or thick yoghurt
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
50 ml cold water

Toast caraway seeds and crush.

Heat oil over very ow heat and add carrots. Cook gently 15 min or until very soft but not coloured. Add a splash of water if it starts to catch. Remove from heat and leave to cool to tepid.

Add labneh and mix thoroughly.

Crush garlic with salt in a mortar until smooth and creamy. Add to carrot mixture with caraway seeds. If too thick thin with a little cold water.
July 30, 2019 06:30AM
SUNDRIED TOMATO DIP

1 250g pot cream cheese

1/4-1/3 C roughly chopped sundried tomatoes (the kind packed in oil, I use Delmaine), drained

1T minced rosemary

1 clove garlic, crushed or minced

1-2t olive oil

salt

Leave the cream cheese to get to room temp, or gently heat in the microwave at very low power so it is soft enough to blend.

In a small food processor, blend everything except olive oil. If it is too thick to properly blend, start dribbling in olive oil a little at a time. Add more sundried tomatoes if you wish at this point.

Remove to bowl and adjust garlic, salt, rosemary to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Best if made the day before. Bring to room temp before serving with warm bread, toasted pita, pita chips etc.
July 30, 2019 06:32AM
BORLOTTI BEAN DIP

1 can of Borlotti Beans
1t tomato paste
1/4t salt
1 small clove garlic, crushed or minced
1T finely chopped rosemary leaves
1-2T lemon juice
3-4T extra virgin olive oil
chilli to taste, optional

Drain and rinse the beans. Add everything to the bowl of a small food processor or use a stick blender and process until smooth (or just use a fork and mash it - but the texture will be coarser). Adjust lemon, garlic, oil and chilli to taste.
August 05, 2019 11:59PM
Thanks for the suggestions - a couple of those look like they could be a hit with the family smiling smiley
August 07, 2019 08:42AM
I am such a bore, can't beat the onion soup dip except I use yoghurt instead of reduced cream.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.