Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

What is the best pie dish to use?

Posted by Irene Field 
What is the best pie dish to use?
August 05, 2019 05:22AM
I have just googled this, as I have found when I make pies with pastry top and bottom in a ceramic dish, the base always seems soggy and uncooked. However after a google search I am still none the wiser? I have in my possession a deep ceramic dish and also a springform metal flan dish.

Would appreciate some thoughts please
Re: What is the best pie dish to use?
August 05, 2019 05:36AM
I use one of these and I love it. No soggy bottom. I do line the base with bake paper tho and if it is a rich pastry, put a baking sheet with paper towels on the rack under as it can leak butter a bit through the holes. I'm perfectly happy to put up with this because of the great results. I also like it being very deep.

[outofthebox.nz]
August 05, 2019 05:42AM
Hi Irene,
Believe it or not, if you sprinkle a little grated cheese on the puff pastry of a meat pie, this will help give it a crispy bottom.

However I have always cooked a pie at around 200 deg C for 20 mins and then turn the oven down to around 150 deg C and put pie on a lower shelf for a further 10-15 mins.

It never worries me what type of dish I use.
Of course fillings shouldn't be to runny.

I sure hope this helps you
Hugs
Raewyn G
August 05, 2019 06:01AM
Thank you to you both. Raewyn, that is an excellent tip with grated cheese. Years ago I used to make a potato topped mince pie, and it was yummy. However that pie dish decided to run away from home I think, and I only have a ceramic and the springform plates, which both gave a disappointing base. So will try that.

But I like the one you put a link to Jenna (only $10), and with holes in the base. We had such wonderful home made cherry pies when we were in the US that I want to make one here - so that would be perfect for that.

And am I going to ask for good pastry recipes - no way Hose A. I will opt for bought smiling smiley
J1
August 05, 2019 10:31AM
Ha, Irene, just in case you change your mind, I have an excellent flaky puff pastry recipe with buttery flavour, very easy to make and get good results with, sourced from Cuisine magazine 2011. Makes enough for top and bottom of one pie.

Flaky Pastry
340g flour, sifted
225g cold butter, cut into 1cm cubes
½ cup cold water, plus 2 tspns
1 egg yolk

In a bowl, rub butter into flour until it resembles chunky breadcrumbs (don’t overwork – leave plenty of obvious bits of butter). In a separate bowl, whisk the water and egg yolk until combined. Add to flour and mix until dough forms (again, don’t overwork – just enough for it to come together). Wrap pastry in cling film and refrigerate for half an hour.

If you are buying pastry, I always think the ingredients of the butter puff pastry sound better than those in the flaky puff pastry... :

Edmonds Flaky Puff Pastry sheets ingredients: Wheat flour, margarine {animal fat, water, salt, emulsifiers (soy lecithin, 471), antioxidant (307b)],creamraising agent (336), preservative (202).

Edmonds Butter Puff Pastry sheets ingredients: Wheat flour, unsalted butter (25%) (milk), water, salt, food acid (330).
August 05, 2019 11:37AM
When I was cooking pies in my Cafe a pie maker told me to never oil the bottom of the tin/dish..and as ghastly as it sounds to not over wash the tins..let them get "weathered"...I gave them a good brush or wipe out and occasional wash....never had soggy pie bottoms again....
August 06, 2019 01:39AM
I blame my oven for a slightly uncooked Mince & Cheese Pie pie bottom. Solution - I put them in a hot dry frypan for a couple of minutes. Perfect.
August 06, 2019 06:54AM
Thanks for the extra tips, and will take everything on board. Jenna, I purchased that pie tin you recommended from Outofthebox.co.nz - that was mid afternoon yesterday and it has been delivered today. I am so impressed and thanks for the referral
August 06, 2019 07:47AM
Thanks from me too Jenna, I've ordered one (great price) as I don't have a removable base pie tin! I usually cook pies on classic bake setting (if your oven has it) which is excellent for pastry bases.
Regards,
Dawn.
August 06, 2019 08:40AM
I also have one of those tins, cooked a chicken pie in it last night as a matter of fact. They're a great tin.
August 06, 2019 11:37AM
I hope you enjoy your pie dishes, ladies! smiling smiley It is an excellent tin.. but if you use it for a crushed biscuit crust, do make sure to line it with a circle of bakepaper, otherwise the crumbs poke out the holes in the bottom and then cook in those holes and then get in the way when you're trying to slide it off the base.
August 06, 2019 11:41AM
Thank you for good advice Jenna!
D. smiling smiley
August 07, 2019 02:42AM
That tin sounds great. Do you know if it is suitable for high temperatures?
August 07, 2019 03:06AM
Chris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That tin sounds great. Do you know if it is
> suitable for high temperatures?

Just read all the instructions and it only says that it is treated with an advanced silicone base, and metal spatulas can be used on it. Being tin, you would think high temperatures would work?
August 07, 2019 05:20AM
I've used it at I think a max of 210C. Haven't had any problems with warping or the coating doing anything weird.
August 14, 2019 07:15AM
Hello all, it has been a very long time since I have been on the forum, but having just received the latest email and looked through it I came across this one on 'soggy bottoms'
I make lots of bacon and egg pies, vegie one etc and I always put a tray to heat in the oven then put the pie on to it, always cooks and browns beautifully.
Happy cooking people.
Jeanne
August 14, 2019 08:00AM
jeannetozer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello all, it has been a very long time since I
> have been on the forum, but having just received
> the latest email and looked through it I came
> across this one on 'soggy bottoms'
> I make lots of bacon and egg pies, vegie one etc
> and I always put a tray to heat in the oven then
> put the pie on to it, always cooks and browns
> beautifully.
> Happy cooking people.
> Jeanne

That makes perfect sense. Have appreciated everyone's contribution thanks. I made my cherry pie, and the bottom pastry was perfect
August 14, 2019 11:10AM
Welcome back Jeanne. Lovely to see you here.

My thing with good pies is to use fridge cold filling, hot oven and although I usually use a ceramic dish I think I will order the recommended tin from Out of the box. Such a great price too.
Anonymous User
August 14, 2019 01:36PM
Trying Putting tray to heat in the oven then put the pie on to it, it will bake beautifully.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.