Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Lemon Tart

Posted by Ali W 
Lemon Tart
August 08, 2019 03:48AM
I want to make a lemon tart for dinner tomorrow night - to serve 4 - 6.

Does anyone have a nice recipe that doesn't use copious amounts of eggs and cream in the pastry and filling?

I have seen one recipe that uses 3 eggs and 2/3 cup cream in the filling which seems reasonable.

Would appreciate recommendations.

Thanks
Re: Lemon Tart
August 08, 2019 05:31AM
My recipe sounds similar to the one you have seen Ali.

3 eggs
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tblsp grated lemon zest
1/2 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup cream
Lemon zest to garnish

Beat first four ingredients together until thick, then add cream (lightly beaten). Pour into pastry shell (20cm).

Bake 190degC for 5 mins, then reduce temp. to 150degC and cook for a further 20-25 mins or until set. Serve warm or cold garnished with lemon zest. I like it with either french vanilla ice cream or vanilla bean yoghurt.

There are also instructions for the sweet shortcrust pastry but I find store bought pastry perfectly adequate - let me know if you'd like that recipe.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
August 08, 2019 05:40AM
I can highly recommend Helen's recipe on here
Favourite Citrus Tart
I have been using this recipe for 8+ years
Recently made it with Limes and it was perfect.
I usually use lemons.
It is well loved by our patients here at Hospice
Kind Regards,

Raewyn G
August 08, 2019 06:39AM
This might be more rich than you're looking for, but I'll put it out there anyway because it is so quick and easy (well, relatively with the condensed milk based filling rather than a curd). Any citrus combination can be used. The missing writing up the side of the page just says to chill before serving.

August 08, 2019 06:49AM
Marco Pierre White's Lemon Tart is by far the best one I have made. I don't know what your criteria are for reasonable amounts of cream and eggs, but this one is perfectly balanced, not too sweet and not too rich. It serves about 8.

[www.thecaterer.com]
August 08, 2019 07:44AM
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Some of my research suggests making the filling the day before to enhance the flavour....anyone done that?
August 08, 2019 07:58AM
Yes, I often made the filling a day ahead. It thickens a little, which makes it easier to manage, and the foam settles and is easier to remove.
August 08, 2019 08:01AM
Essentially the filling is a custard, so it needs the eggs and cream in ratio. If it uses less eggs and cream then it'll just be a smaller tart. I like Heston Blumenthal's recipe, but it's fiddly and uses lots of eggs and cream so I won't post.
August 09, 2019 10:53PM
Yummy lemon tart made and enjoyed. I used Helen's recipe as Raewyn G suggested, I also left the filling to rest overnight. Dug out my old red Alison Holst book and made her sweet short crust pastry in the food processor. There was enough left over to make some shortbread leaves to sit on the side of each plate.

Served with blueberries and cream.

Thanks everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2019 09:25AM by Ali W.
August 11, 2019 11:16PM
I'm pleased you enjoyed the tart Ali, I often make it when I am taking dessert somewhere as it is easy to make ahead of time and is portable.
August 19, 2019 08:34AM
The M P White Lemon tart gives no liquid amount - lemons vary a lot not only in size, but the amount of juice
And if the cook is using Meyer lemons - which I don't, there is a large amount of juice

I always mix my citrus tart with part of the sugar, lemons and cream and leave the final sugar to add at last as lemons are more tart in early season but don;t need as much sugar in later season lemons

I like to get the setting right with the correct quantity of juice - if someone has made it and recorded their weight of juice, that would be good
August 19, 2019 08:49AM
Now I have looked at Helen's citrus tart , it seems to have very little lemon juice for a 6 egg tart
Do you use very small eggs ? or is the lemon juice quantity not correct ?
August 20, 2019 05:33AM
Hi Heather H
follow the recipe for Helen's citrus tart.
The quantities are correct and I use size 6 or 7 eggs
Its a real winner and as I said above I have been making it for the past 8+ years.
Kind Regards,
Raewyn G
August 20, 2019 12:33PM
I use size 7 eggs and follow the recipe.
I haven't questioned the citrus juice quantity before but am open to suggestions.
August 21, 2019 03:02AM
I was thinking the same thing Heather as Helen's recipe has the same amount of juice for a 6-egg tart as the one I use and posted earlier in the thread has for a 3-egg tart.

I will be interested to try Helen's recipe - I wonder if, with more eggs, the texture is different which may, in turn change the intensity of the lemon flavour.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
August 21, 2019 06:07AM
I have a dinner to go to next weekend. I have volunteered dessert and as they are good friends I can ask their opinion if the lemon flavour is strong enough.
I've never thought it lacking but will see what the other 7 at the table say.
August 22, 2019 07:41AM
I love lemon tart!
I usually make the lemon curd and add ALOT more zest than it says and cheat by using pre-made pastry that I pre cook.

Remember to use the beads to stop the bottoms rising up. I then just add the curd when they have cooled a little and top with defrosted raspberries and a dust of icing sugar - sooooo delicious and addictive.

Very dangerous having the lemon curd in the fridge - so many uses. On toast, between biscuits, on ice-cream, mixed into yoghurt - greek especially, with crumbled meringues on top, as a side with a plain Madeira type cake....

Delicious

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2019 07:41AM by Vanessa45.
August 22, 2019 08:09AM
Ooooh I feel fatter just reading that!

I like a mix of lemon and lime curd - bumper crops this season so more jars coming up! YUM!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.