Soup made from lamb stock?
August 15, 2019 08:09AM
I have some very well-flavoured stock left over from a lamb shanks casserole that included orange juice and zest, tomato paste and mushrooms. I want to make the most of it - does anyone have a suitable soup recipe?
Re: Soup made from lamb stock?
August 15, 2019 08:42AM
I'd make Harira. Fry onions, garlic, some lamb mince (or diced leftover lamb). Add generous quantities of ground cumin, ground coriander, a smidge of cinnamon and some turmeric, once all soft and smelling delicious add your stock, canned tomatoes, some canned rinsed chickpeas and/or lentils and heaps of fresh coriander. Season to taste, add lemon juice to brighten, serve with flatbreads and hummus.
August 15, 2019 08:49AM
Snap! I was about to suggest Harira.
August 15, 2019 08:55AM
I adore Harira. In fact that's what my plan is for tomorrow night!
My daughter also loves it, I remember going to Salute a lovely (changed hands now, not so great these days) restaurant in Greytown when she was about 8 and she ordered the Harira, the waitress was most concerned that she hadn't ordered from the children's menu and "did she know it was spicy?"....lol, she's my daughter for sure!
August 16, 2019 07:59AM
Thanks for this - it sounds ideal!
August 22, 2019 02:20AM
This has caught my attention as I have never made Harira.
It is on my to do list in the next week as sounds delicious.
August 22, 2019 11:57AM
It is, Helen, and very nutritious, it is used to break the fast in Muslim countries during Ramadan. I forgot to add that I put some chilli flakes in as well.
August 22, 2019 10:13PM
Oh that does sound wonderful, go for it Helen I for one will be happy to try whatever recipe you come up with as I haven’t tried it either.
August 24, 2019 07:57AM
As my lamb stock (left over from a casserole) was flavoured with orange juice and zest I added some finely chopped carrots, which I thought worked really well. I also diluted the strongly-flavoured lamb stock with some home-made vegetable stock, so that it wouldn't overpower the other ingredients.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.