Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Jackfruit

Posted by helen 
Jackfruit
August 27, 2019 06:57AM
When I was in Sri Lanka we had the most delicious jackfruit curries. It's texture being quite like shredded chicken.
I have bought a can of it and thinking I might make a curry but wondering if anyone here has used canned jackfruit and if so what in?
Re: Jackfruit
August 27, 2019 08:32AM
I wait in anticipation, something new to try.
August 27, 2019 08:49AM
I have a can in my pantry awaiting a use... never quite got around to figuring out what to do with it.
August 27, 2019 10:04AM
I have used the green Jack Fruit but so far a little underwhelmed. Forget what I actually did with it now I come to think of it. It doesn't have a particular taste and is quite meaty so can understand that with judicious handling it could be compared to meat of some sort or make a curry of some sort or... but I'm not going to bother buying another tin.
August 27, 2019 11:39AM
My curry was delicious! Even the meat eating husband just assumed he was eating chicken.
I made a Thai yellow curry with commercial curry paste (I used Valcom) to which I added extra lemongrass, garlic, kaffir lime leaves, salt and sugar,
I browned cubed eggplant in oil and added that along with courgettes, green beans and a drained can of jackfruit plus a can of coconut cream and some water to thin it down a bit.
At the end I sprinkled with toasted cashew nuts, crisp fried shallots and coriander.
So good!
September 04, 2019 05:30PM
Not a curry recipe but uses the tinned jackfruit. This is really good.

[www.lazycatkitchen.com]
I don't have liquid smoke, but use extra smoked paprika.
September 14, 2019 01:13AM
I just popped on to say I'd made that same recipe Karen. I had smoke essence and just used a few sprays of that. I doubled all the spices except the chilli (serving to chilli averse people). Now, these people have been expressing desire to be more "plant based" in their eating, so I served the tacos without mentioning that the "pulled pork" was vegan. They were all hugely surprised to find they'd been eating something that wasn't pulled pork. I was very impressed with it, and hubby has asked if we can "do more like that"... so I guess I'll be adding jackfruit to our shopping list.
September 14, 2019 02:04AM
Karen and Griz, did you also make the tacos as per the recipe? I would be quite keen to try the recipe if/when I can get tinned jackfruit.
September 14, 2019 05:20AM
I didn't, just bought some at the supermarket, but I did do quickled onions, salsa, lettuce, avocado, and I also just used normal sour cream. We are away for the weekend, so simple was good.
September 14, 2019 05:22AM
Also it's available here in Masterton at Countdown, it's in the Ceres range, not sure if other ranges are available. I see it is also sold frozen, but haven't seen it here.
September 14, 2019 06:00AM
Thank you, Griz.
September 15, 2019 10:31PM
Chris i just make the jackfruit part of the recipe. I buy the Aroy-d young green jackfruit in brine from an Asian supermarket., bigger tins than the ceres.
September 17, 2019 11:21AM
Thanks for the tip, Karen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.