Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Gas or Induction

Posted by Griz 
Gas or Induction
September 08, 2019 08:43AM
Hi,
Looking at replacing my cook top, along with stove, microwave, dishwasher and insinkerator (maybe), anyway, I'm interested in what fellow cooks think about whether I should go with induction or gas cooktop?
Re: Gas or Induction
September 08, 2019 11:10AM
I had the same decision about 4 years ago, and ended up going with gas. The major difference being that we live in an area that gets regular power outages, and I wanted to still be able to cook. We also have LPG for our hot water, so it wasn't a massive deal to attach the cooktop.

That said, the induction hob we had in our previous house (a 900mm Smeg) was great. It was super fast, precise, could simmer without having to monitor, could properly fast boil a large stock pot. What annoyed me what that a couple of the elements were connected, not in that they were a single element, but that when you had both on, it would power share between the two and would buzz on off, on off, not unlike a phone on vibrate, but louder. It was just aggravating. I'm not sure if that is an induction thing, or just a function of that particular model.

When looking for a gas hob I specifically was looking for one with a very high output wok burner, and I'm still frustrated with how long it takes to boil water, so I usually boil it in the kettle first. There was definitely none of that faffing around with induction. I find that it can be hard to maintain a low simmer with gas, that sometimes the lowest setting is still too hot, so I've got to turn it almost all the way off, which leaves an unstable flame.

Do you do much with a wok? If so, that may be a consideration. If I lived in town and didn't have to consider power outages, assuming budget allowed, I'd most likely get an induction cooktop another time around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 11:10AM by Jenna.
September 08, 2019 12:43PM
Jenna, you can get a diffuser or simmer mat. We have one for our gas hob and it helps tremendously with simmering.
September 09, 2019 12:48AM
I've been through several, Ali.. but the problem I have is that every single one has warped so the pot is not level when it is on it. Fine when it is a full pot, but when you're trying to slowly reduce a small amount, it becomes way too shallow on one side.

What brand or style have you had success with?
September 09, 2019 02:49AM
Gas - something warming about cooking on a flame, but if possible get something bigger than the 60 cm size.
September 09, 2019 06:56AM
Ours is a metal plate with slits in it. I saw two different styles at Moore Wilson when we were in Wellington.
September 09, 2019 09:47AM
I have a gas cooktop and use a simmer mat when something requires long and slow cooking. The mat is the knobbly looking type and still gets too hot on the lowest setting. Apart from that I enjoy cooking with gas and baking with electricity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2019 09:48AM by Chris.
September 10, 2019 02:49AM
Id say gas but actually I have an induction stove top.

My sister has gas and her set up is pretty average if you ask me - Im assuming it powers her oven too??? Im just not used to it.
Induction is slick and easy to clean, gas, more the industrial look - Id take the aesthetics in to account as well.

I think with many things, its what you get used to - when you know your own equipment its easy, thats why is often hard cooking in other peoples kitchens.

Vanessa
September 14, 2019 01:51AM
I changed from gas to induction and do love the induction but miss the gas for cooking a good steak. You can get hobs that are both gas and induction so this could be an option.
September 22, 2019 01:33AM
Gas for me.
CWE
November 03, 2019 08:05AM
Hi Griz, long time, no talk!
Gas cooktop and electric oven is said to be the best
Combination. It is my preferred choice.
Did a class at The Cooking School Noosa
And they use induction, it drove me nuts!
It kept switching off part way through.
I like the speed and control of the gas.
Simmer mats are brilliant. Get the simmermat
Brand, not the one made by DLine which is a
Cheap knock off. Make sure the gas is down at its
Lowest winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2019 08:08AM by CWE.
November 06, 2019 01:28AM
I have induction at home, and gas in the motor home, but I much prefer the induction. I find it quicker and more precise. The gas is harder to get a good simmer.
November 06, 2019 03:20AM
I ended up purchasing this one with gas/electric. Got a good deal on it, which meant we could go a bit more upmarket with the dishwasher and get a Miele one with a few extra features.

[www.harveynorman.co.nz]
November 07, 2019 03:47AM
WoW, Griz, that looks an impressive cooker. Hope you’ll enjoy it.
Anonymous User
February 20, 2020 05:12AM
I used to have an electric cooktop and this summer I changed it to induction and I'm really happy. Induction cooktop cooks quicker and more precise. It's easy to use and safer because it won't work without a pan or a saucepan on it, which is a good fire-prevention measure. But, you need to buy special utensils, which can be used on induction cooktop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.