Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

The price and quality of avocados!

Posted by helen 
The price and quality of avocados!
September 28, 2019 02:04AM
Last season I was told that this would be an amazing avocado season with plenty for domestic supply and currently it is looking great.
Our local NW is selling 3 for $3.60 and I have seen repeats of Asian grocery stores selling them for more like 50c each.
Let's hope that the weather stays favourable and the fruit can sustain us through until February.
Last season's heatwave meant the trees dropped their fruit early so we have to hope we don't have a repeat.
Re: The price and quality of avocados!
September 28, 2019 02:44AM
I have just been given some beautiful ones. The strong winds over the past few days have seen so many at once. Hopefully, there will be enough left to go through the normal season.
September 28, 2019 03:01AM
Helen, you might want to look up Avocado to You. And no, I have no connection t o the people but really like their product. B y the way, they advised that they will likely run out by Christmas.
September 29, 2019 09:05PM
Hi Helen. Supermarkets normally carry Tag 1 fruit and vege - that being premium, whilst Asian shops etc may purchase tag 1.5, size and quality below premium. We are so lucky here in Hawkes Bay to have a huge choice of small independent shops and stalls to get good deals.
September 30, 2019 11:05PM
Annie, I'm in H.B. too, and have had a few really good avocados but still some which have been picked too early or stored incorrectly and are disappointing. Would you be kind enough to tell me where you buy yours?
October 01, 2019 01:45AM
I have looked at ordering avocados from companies like Avocado to You and probably should revisit it. Thanks for the reminder Chris.
October 01, 2019 02:17AM
I've been buying avos from avotree.co.nz this season, and so far the quality and delivery has been very good.
October 01, 2019 03:49AM
I have just checked out the avocadotree that TPANDAV buys from. I will give them a try because 10 large avocados are better for my household of two than the larger quantity I get fromAvocados to You. Also, it looks like shipping is free which would be quite a saving if I am correct.
October 01, 2019 04:24AM
Chris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have just checked out the avocadotree that
> TPANDAV buys from. I will give them a try because
> 10 large avocados are better for my household of
> two than the larger quantity I get fromAvocados to
> You. Also, it looks like shipping is free which
> would be quite a saving if I am correct.

The shipping isn't free; the cost will come up when you select your area at checkout. Shipping to us in the Waikato is about $5.

The sizing is useful - I've had "medium", which is fairly small - serve one per person but usually get "large", which is a good serving for two people.
October 01, 2019 05:06AM
They seem to have sold out of medium. I have an aversion to fridge cold avocado so was hoping to get medium and then used in one sitting.
I will try the large, my only hesitation is getting 10 avocados. I am assuming they ripen at varying times?
October 01, 2019 05:37AM
I've been following the ripening instructions given by Avotree: Leave the avos at cool room temperature away from direct light. As soon as each one starts to soften at the stem end either put it in the fridge or plan on using it within the next two days at room temperature. In the fridge they will last for a couple of weeks, use within a day of taking out.

I am getting into a rhythm now, keep a watchful eye on them and presently have two almost ripe in one bowl, four almost ripe in the fridge and nine still hard in a bowl in the pantry. We are eating them with much enthusiasm and probably get through one or two every day.

I stored my first box in a shelf near the floor and they ripened very quickly, I imagine because of our underfloor heating. I now keep them on a high shelf.
October 01, 2019 05:40AM
Hi Stephanie, I usually shop along the Havelock Road, and just pick up avos if they look good and are priced well. I do see bags of them along the roadside and the cobbler in the village used to sell bags but haven't seen any for a while. Sometimes I just buy good large ones on special at the supermarket. Am a bit of a hit and miss kind of person, but am enjoying new season asparagus.
October 01, 2019 08:51AM
If only I could go to the supermarket in the morning, buy an avocado and have it at lunch. Its the fact that I have to wait until its ripe that puts me off buying them. I did try the frozen avocado slices but they had a funny taste. New asparagus - yum, have not seen it in the shops here in Paraparaumu yet.
October 02, 2019 11:30PM
Oh! isn't it lovely to live somewhere handy to a great supplier. Usually when there's something in the food line of interest, it's mainly only available in the main centres. Living in Whitianga I can get my fill of avocados from Avacados to You in person
October 02, 2019 11:39PM
4 Lorna Wrote:
> Oh! isn't it lovely to live somewhere handy to a
> great supplier. Usually when there's something in
> the food line of interest, it's mainly only
> available in the main centres. Living in
> Whitianga I can get my fill of avocados from
> Avacados to You in person

Lorna, don’t rub it in., hahaha spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I am at a greater disadvantage than you - can’t grow anything that needs warmer nights and the big city (Dunedin) 3 1/2 hours away. Drives you to drinking smiley sometimes

The emoji for the wine bottle is not working for me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2019 11:41PM by Chris.
October 02, 2019 11:41PM
I am obliged to report that the first to ripen from our latest box from Avotree have been disappointing! Both had large bruises and one had a strange jet black fibrous bit under the skin. I will advise Avotree and see if there is an explanation - maybe poor handling.
October 03, 2019 05:08AM
I am going to skite like Lorna - I live in the Far North and I am lucky enough to have an avocado orchard only a few kms away with a roadside shop complete with a good old-fashioned honesty box. This grower has it down to a fine art - his Hass avos are beautiful, creamy and buttery, and I don't remember ever getting a bad one. The avos are graded - large, medium, small, currently $3, $2, and $1 respectively and they usual ripen within 4-5 days. There is another bin with 'ripening' avocados (ready to eat in a day or two) so I am able to keep up a constant supply.

Like others, I just love avocados - great with chicken or seafood and in salads. I often eat one with a spoon with a drizzle of olive oil, a splash of lemon juice, and a grind of black pepper.

Oh and did I mention that we have our own avocado tree in the garden too.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2019 05:14AM by Barbara Anne.
October 03, 2019 05:30AM
My order from the Avo tree is due to arrive today. I will be watching with interest and hope that we don't have same issues as you Tpandav.
October 04, 2019 10:28AM
My avocados left the Avo tree 2 days ago and as yet have not arrived with me. It will be s courier issue but it is something that often prevents me from sending perishables with couriers....
October 04, 2019 10:54AM
Oh how disappointing Helen. I haven't had a response yet to my email sent to Avotree on Wednesday afternoon. Maybe it was all too good to be true...
October 04, 2019 11:36PM
A year or so ago I bought a box of avocados (not sure if it was the same place, but think so) and was disappointed with the quality. I let them know and they were very pleased to have the feedback and immediately replaced them. I expect it might be busyness that has delayed their reaction and hope they will contact you soon. I haven't continued with purchasing from growers because the friend with whom I shared them has moved elsewhere.
October 05, 2019 10:47AM
Mine still haven't arrived. NZ Post courier phoned today to ask if I would like to come and pick them up from the depot.
My response was, no thank you, I would like them delivered as you have been paid to do....
So far I am thinking that my local green grocer or NW is the best option for avocados but will see when/if they get here.
October 05, 2019 11:46AM
Oh Helen, that's appalling behaviour by NZ Post. We have quite a lot of courier problems, especially with NZ Post, but never that rude. The only courier company that we have never had a problem with is Fastway. I absolutely see your reasoning for never using couriers for fresh food. Imagine a box of meat or fish languishing for days!
October 07, 2019 07:06AM
No avocados yet and no email from The Avo Tree although we have penetrated through to Courier Post who said that they will deliver them tonight between 6-8pm.
Over the last 5 days I have emailed the Avo Tree 4 times, even though the delivery issues were not their error I do think that they should respond to customers emails...
Or am I being too cranky?
October 07, 2019 08:19AM
Helen I have had no response from them since my email sent last Wednesday. Time to find a new supplier I fear.
October 07, 2019 08:29AM
TPANDAV Wrote:
> Helen I have had no response from them since my
> email sent last Wednesday. Time to find a new
> supplier I fear.

I tried Bay Avocados last year when Avocados To You ran out quite early. They were a shocker and out of the lot I received only two where really good. I sent them photos and they sent me another box at no charge which were not much better. I would not purchase from them and will stick with Avocados To You.
October 08, 2019 12:42AM
Still no response from Avotree. I have put in an order to Avocado to You, due to arrive next Wednesday. I will report!

Helen - has your Avotree order arrived yet?
October 08, 2019 05:34AM
Tpandav my avocados arrived last night.
Some are blemished on their skins so hope they are ok inside.
None ripe as yet so will wait and see.
I am interested to hear how Avocado to you are.
October 09, 2019 12:28AM
I've been overseas for the last month so it was great to arrive home and find lots of avocados as well as asparagus in the shops! I've always found the quality of Avocado To You to be very good, but they arrive very green with several weeks needed for ripening and it takes a lot of attention to catch them all at the right stage of ripening so they can be refrigerated. And then they take up a lot of room in the fridge. So this year I'm just going to stick with Fruit World so I can ripen them week by week.
October 11, 2019 12:52AM
I have now received an apologetic email from Avotree, and they have sent me three replacement avocados.

My order from Avocado to You is due next Wednesday and I will report.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.