Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Asparagus

Posted by Chris 
Asparagus
October 11, 2019 11:35PM
It just dawned on me when reading Helen’s comment on strawberries that I have seen asparagus just once in my local NW and they looked desiccated so didn’t buy at $6 a bunch. That was a week ago. Is asparagus in short supply or is it still a bit early? There is only one supermarket where I am. Also what do you pay at NW where you live?
J1
Re: Asparagus
October 12, 2019 02:43AM
We've had several bunches over the past few weeks. One of the early bunches I bought was $5, not from a supermarket. The quality's been fine. I see from New World online current New World price is $4 for a 250g bunch [www.ishopnewworld.co.nz]
October 12, 2019 03:37AM
Thanks J1, I will need to go to NW later today and shall enquire about the lack of asparagus here. Your link shows 250g at $6.99 which I find horrendously expensive for this time of the year. I love asparagus but I am not so desperate that I will pay this much for the privilege of eating it.
J1
October 12, 2019 05:13AM
Oooh it must have tracked your location and changed it to suit the price of it in your area! I'd had tracking blocked when it gave me the $4 price so I just unblocked now to see what price it would give me based on my true location but it is still the same $4 for 250g bunch.

Really it just goes to show the price manipulation you're having to put up with when you're served by one supermarket only! We have three supermarkets here (two are Foodstuffs and one is the Oz group), plus an excellent local fourth alternative to add to the competition even more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2019 05:21AM by J1.
October 12, 2019 11:16PM
Went to NW late afternoon and there was asparagus for $3.99 and this week’s flyer advertises 250g for $2.99. Things are finally looking up.
October 12, 2019 11:45PM
Does anyone else find it a nuisance that the 'sorters' always do mixed bunches of thick and thin stems. I like to be able to select the stems I prefer for whatever reason; either all thick or all thin. Petty but annoying.
October 13, 2019 12:03AM
Yes! Having a mixture of sizes makes no sense at all. I prefer the very thin asparagus when I can find it, my husband prefers the thick stems, but we're both just grateful for finding it in good condition.
October 13, 2019 05:00AM
I've been buying from Countdown, I've been pleased with the quality and the price ($3.50/bunch yesterday I think). It's not gritty, which is something I can't stand, and they seem to be sorted into bunches of thick or thin, as I was able to get a nice bunch of thin stems.
October 13, 2019 06:51AM
We prefer really fat stems and the bunches seem to be bundled into thick, medium and thin. Might depend on the grower perhaps.
October 13, 2019 08:32PM
Asparagus very weather affected - frost, hail etc. There are fewer growers and it is very labour intensive, also Watties no longer canning it at their Hastings factory. At around $12- $16kg is a pretty good price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2019 08:33PM by Annie H.
October 14, 2019 10:28AM
I bought some from Countdown a couple of days ago and they were flavourless. I'm waiting for them to turn up at our local farmers' market. Fortunately we've still got one grower who turns up about this time every year...
October 15, 2019 11:17AM
And today at NW there was loads of fresh asparagus, beautifully sorted and bunched separately in fat, medium and thin stems. Someone was listening!
October 15, 2019 10:35PM
Stephanie39 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And today at NW there was loads of fresh
> asparagus, beautifully sorted and bunched
> separately in fat, medium and thin stems. Someone
> was listening!

Same in my neck of the woods.smiling smiley
October 29, 2019 03:03PM
I was in our local supermarket today (Co^ntdown), 2 bunches for $6, they had definitely sorted into three grades, thin, medium and thick. Brand was "T*nd*r Tips". I cooked some at the weekend, medium stems, nuked for 2 minutes, then into oven with a bit more water, drizzled in olive oil, and a few dabs of butter. Oven wasn't heated when I put them in, so took a bit longer, but 10 minutes later the 2 asparagus dislikers hoovered down the best asparagus either had tasted!
October 31, 2019 05:09AM
I did some last week, 2 med-thick stems wrapped in a slice of streaky bacon and cooked in a hot oven for about 10mins.
Oh my they were divine and my visitors were well pleased.

Raewyn G
October 31, 2019 10:54PM
I've found this year that oven cooking concentrates the flavour. Have given up on that 'wrapped and nuked' nonsense!
November 01, 2019 12:38AM
Char-grilling concentrates the flavour too. I use a cast iron ridged grill pan and oil the asparagus well before grilling it just until the stalk has a few grill marks. Sometimes the heads will get a bit crisp but that is still delicious and makes a change from boiled asparagus.
November 01, 2019 04:29AM
We haven't replaced a ridged grill pan that we gave to one of our 'young' ... it's time we did.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.