Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Sandwiches

Posted by Chris 
Sandwiches
October 29, 2019 01:07AM
I have been asked to bring sandwiches to a gathering and was wondering what would make really tasty fillings that would withstand a travel time of a couple of hours. I would consider egg, cheese and smoked sliced salmon only as the main fillings as we personally don’t eat other meats. I am thinking what I could add to make the fillings extra tasty. I had chicken with finely chopped walnuts recently and those sandwiches were very nice. Any suggestions?
Re: Sandwiches
October 29, 2019 11:07PM
Make some miso butter by mashing a little miso with the butter. Or spread just one slice of the bread with a little miso instead of butter. The same can be done with tahini. Both are full of umami and pair with various things like cheese, salmon, etc. Add some lettuce or other salad 'greens' for colour.

I like asparagus rolls.,
October 30, 2019 03:10AM
If you are looking at a chicken sandwich then we have a whole new feature on variations.
The Best Chicken Sandwich

Otherwise I would suggest asparagus rolls with aioli or club sandwiches...

Covered with a damp tea towel or the damp paper towels and the dreaded clingfilm they will be fine for a good few hours.
October 30, 2019 04:35AM
Thanks For the link, Helen. I’ve got my fillings ready. Egg with Best Foods mayonnaise on sandwich Molenberg with white Miso flavoured butter à la Lorna; grated tasty cheese with mayo and chives and very thinly sliced tomato, butter without flavour; and also shredded chicken finely chopped walnuts and mayo on buttered bread. My electric knife died a while ago but I hope that my sharpest knife will do the job. Damp tea towels are chilling in the fridge.
October 30, 2019 09:03AM
I hate egg sandwiches that have mayonnaise in them. My mum always used chives, salt and pepper and a drop of cream to bind. I always ask if the egg sandwiches have mayonnaise in them, if yes I buy something else.

I bought A taste of Te Horo cook book at a charity shop I volunteer at - and found this recipe for a sandwich filling

Nana's cold spread (sandwich filling).

1 onion chopped
1 tabs butter
salt and pepper to taste
4oz cheese, grated
1 egg

Beat egg. Add to other ingredients. Cook mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly. Looks like scrambled egg.

I made it and have used it for toasted sandwiches and its yumm.

cheers Gran
October 30, 2019 10:08PM
Gran, is that a b o ok by Ruth Pretty seeing she has her catering business there? Sounds like a tasty treat but I would have to cut down on the onion or increase the egg to two or more..
October 31, 2019 05:04AM
Be sure to keep your sandwiches refrigerated or in a chilli bin until required.
Keeping them at 4 deg C or below is the best rule.
Pathogens double every 20 mins when above 5 deg C
All the effort isn't worth giving someone a dicky tummy

Raewyn G
October 31, 2019 05:27AM
Thanks Raewyn, anything with mayonnaise and chicken and egg can turn very quickly. Just not worth the risk. The sandwiches went down a treat.
November 01, 2019 01:56AM
Re the pathogens, while I am quite paranoid re food poisoning I do send chicken pesto pasta and chicken rolls in lunch boxes to school.
According to my dietician friend she thinks we are too cautious with cooked chicken and that lunch boxes kept in a cloak bay at school are usually cool enough for food to be fine...
Thoughts?
November 01, 2019 04:36AM
I wouldn't risk it Helen.
You can sometimes get those little frozen sachets in food that has travelled. I keep some in the freezer for cooling things.
I don't think you can be too cautious

Raewyn G
November 01, 2019 07:22AM
I actually agree with you Helen, although for a lunch I'd probably put a frozen drink or pack in. I always bring my chicken to room temp before I cook it, but I've got a friend who is horrified at the thought, so when she's here for dinner I have to hide where the chicken is so she doesn't see. She always says my chicken is awesome and tender, but I can't tell her my secret!
November 05, 2019 11:10PM
Chris, no not a Ruth Pretty book, its one of those lovely books where locals donate their favourite recipes. This spread is more a cheese and onion spread.
cheers Gran
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.