Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Christmas Pudding in Muffin Tins

Posted by helen 
Christmas Pudding in Muffin Tins
December 16, 2019 11:47PM
I do know that Christmas puddings are traditionally steamed but has anyone successfully made individual puddings in muffin tins?
Once again I have had an email request and dried fruit cakes/puddings are an area that I just don't feel that I can offer great opinions as I don't make cakes and stick to the same pudding recipe.
Re: Christmas Pudding in Muffin Tins
December 17, 2019 04:22AM
I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine how it would work - the steaming keeps the pudding moist so surely if you baked it it would be too dry?
December 17, 2019 05:02AM
I don't think it would work. The very long steaming of the pudding is important because it softens the fruit completely, and also partly caramelises the sugar. If you cook a Christmas Pudding mixture as a muffin I think it would be dry and nasty.
December 17, 2019 08:28AM
I asked before I searched here and then found an old post.
Others have said you can cook them in muffin tins in a water bath covered with foil.
Individual Christmas Puddings.
December 17, 2019 09:23AM
Not sure if this helps Helen, but the pudding I make doesn't all fit in my pudding bowl, so I divide the leftover mix between 2 coffee mugs (roughly 3/4 filled), and steam them for an hour, covered with a double layer of baking paper and foil, with a pleat in the top to allow for a little expansion, It works well. I'm thinking it would work well in teacups, if making smaller puds was the aim.
December 17, 2019 09:38AM
Ahh thanks Heather, good to know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.