Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Christmas Dinner

Posted by Chris 
Christmas Dinner
December 25, 2019 11:04PM
I hope you all enjoyed a lovely Christmas Dinner. It was a bit different at our place and we really liked the way it panned out. We started with a very late breakfast of sourdough pancakes with maple syrup and strawberries and raspberries from our garden as well as bought blueberries. No bubbly because that makes me tired for the rest of the day if I have even one glass in the morning. No lunch, no Christmas cake or biscuits. They remained untouched. We shared a good bottle of Prosecco in the afternoon, leaving us both a bit tired and decidec cooking dinner would be too much effort. Contemplated omelettes with asparagus but discarded that idea for sourdough toast with lots of avocado and tomatoes. It was followed by rhubarb trifle. Perfect and no pressure whatsoever. Today I might have to cook though while you are probably relaxing today, feasting on leftovers.
Re: Christmas Dinner
December 26, 2019 12:02AM
We had the quietest Christmas ever and it was great. Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast, my usual lunch of yoghurt and banana (plus cherries), dinner was a spatchcocked chicken that I'd prepared and marinated the previous day, which I cooked on the barbecue with the last of our Marina di Chioggia pumpkin. Other veges were our first freshly dug Agrias, homegrown cabbage with feta, walnuts and golden raisins.

It was all very easy and we have lovely leftovers for a chicken salad tonight.
December 26, 2019 12:17AM
Your day sounds lovely and relaxing with nice food and none of that 'having over eaten' feeling Chris. I am like you, a glass of wine during the day and I'm fighting that horrible sleepy feeling!

For the first time in 50 years I have not contributed food-wise for Christmas day. Our son and daughter-in-law invited us for Christmas lunch and 'don't bring anything' was the order. So we arrived at their place with our Christmas gifts, a box of Christmas crackers and some chocolate fudge which I had already made days before Christmas and a bottle of sparkling grape juice. We had a lovely Christmas day and went home with a plate containing smoked mussels, ham, chicken, potato salad, and for dessert we had trifle, all left overs. So Christmas dinner was equally enjoyed by us both and I hadn't had to lift a finger. thumbs up

I too hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas day!smiling smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
December 26, 2019 04:29AM
Ours sure was different. arrived at bach where family were staying to find 2 grandies spent the night vomitting and diarohha and were lying on bed listless.start of meal daughter came down with bug then after lunch son in law came down with it. we grabbed the 3 grandies and went home and other family left also. fortunately we are all well but so much for all the preparation. no one felt like eating. bug was spread at a 50th birthday that daughters family went to. Found everyone who attended were all sick on christmas day.
December 26, 2019 04:49AM
Oh nooooo Noeleen, not a nice way to start Christmas day, in fact not the sort of 'different' Christmas day anyone wants to have! Keep well! smiling smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
December 26, 2019 06:39AM
Oh dear Noeleen, that’s horrible, but nice that you were able to take the grandies so people could recover.
December 26, 2019 06:53AM
That's not good at all Noeleen. When our kids were little we had a time when every Christmas day was marked by a trip to the emergency doctors with our boy, his timing was impeccable! It's sad when little people are sick on Christmas day.
December 29, 2019 09:19AM
We had 2 Christmas dinners. The first was on the Saturday before Christmas with 3 of our 4 sons and our 3 grandaughters. We had ham, 2 cold roast chickens with 2 different stuffing (parsley
/lemon and sausage/chestnut/c raisins), potato salad, broccoli salad, roast vegetable salad and green salad. Dessert was frozen Strawberry Cloud Cake and a gingerbread house. On Christmas day there were only 4 of us and we had slow-cooked Middle Eastern lamb with minted new potatoes (home grown), cucumber yoghurt salad, carrot, orange and dried apricot salad. Trifle for dessert.
December 29, 2019 11:44AM
Gosh Penny G, I remember when we had a Foodlovers get together many years ago, and you and your man were off on a cycling tour. I think I bought a fundraiser recipe book off you as well.

And now you are a granny.

Lots of years have zipped away....

Nice to see you on the forum once more.
December 30, 2019 01:49AM
Thanks PennyG, now I know what I want for dessert New Years Day. I haven't had a trifle for years and now I can't get the thought of wanting one out of my head.
December 30, 2019 02:55AM
Oh Noeleen that sounds awful. Hoping all are well now.

We had a very quiet Christmas Day. it was just the 6 of us and we started the day in our usual Christmas Day style of hot croissants, pain au chocolat, scrambled egg, mixed berries, bacon, maple syrup, yoghurt etc...
Late lunch was sitting outside in the sun having warm glazed ham with potatoes and salad, followed by whopping great bowls of Omaha organic ice cream (OOcool smiley.
We had been to OOB the day before and bought 2 x 5 litre tubs of "seconds" for a ridiculously cheap price. One for the lactose free in the family and the other for the rest of us. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.