Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Moreton Bay Bugs (Slipper Lobster)

Posted by networkn 
Moreton Bay Bugs (Slipper Lobster)
February 02, 2020 04:38AM
I bought some of these and upon defrosting them they started to leak a very dark liquid and lots of it. Smells fine, was frozen and then refridgerated, but upon detailing them and cutting the tails from the shell, the flesh has a pretty dark surface on it.
Easier to show I think so here you are:

I assume safe to eat, but can anyone confirm?

[www.screencast.com]

Cheers,

Networkn
Re: Moreton Bay Bugs (Slipper Lobster)
February 02, 2020 10:45AM
I checked back in after looking at your post Networkn because I didn't know either. Did you go ahead and cook them. I felt it was going to be a bit of a "suck it and see" situation. I feel like if they smell good then they probably are good. I would be interested to know how they turned out. They have a very dark shell so maybe the flesh in its raw state is dark too. Sorry I could be more helpful.
February 03, 2020 12:22AM
I was too scared to offer advice as I get unnecessarily squeamish on things like this.
Love shellfish but dark flesh and liquid make me nervous as I often find with soft shell crab.
I would have thought that if the smell was fine that they should be Ok....
February 03, 2020 12:51AM
Only just saw this so I guess you've already had them - the dark skin is normal as is the dark liquid. When cooked, it turns orange.

Enjoy!
February 03, 2020 12:53AM
I don't know the answer as I have not been lucky enough to cook bugs. I do know that dark colouration is to be avoided with prawns and other crustacea. Here is a link to some general advice:

[www.fishfiles.com.au]

As to whether or not they smell stale, unless you are sure that you have a good sense of smell it might be worth asking someone else to smell them as well, as in your photo they look a bit old to me. People do vary in their perceptions of smells.
February 05, 2020 09:18AM
Hi.
Just an update, sorry I forgot about it:

I cooked them and they were delicious and no ill effects.

Unfortunately, they literally fell apart even with the most gentle cooking method I could find. I absolutely love the ones I have had in Australia, but they weren't like those. Never mind, they were still excellent.
February 05, 2020 09:45AM
Oh good to hear.
The freezing possibly didn't do them any favours with texture but at least they tasted Ok and you survived! smiling smiley
February 06, 2020 12:15AM
How did you cook them? I prefer to steam them and then add flavour in a sauce that is served alongside.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.