Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Delaying avocado ripening

Posted by helen 
Delaying avocado ripening
February 07, 2020 11:42PM
I need to slow down the ripeninig on about 50 avocados that I am buying to take to rowing nationals in a week.
I have read conflicting information refrigerating green avocados to ripen later.
Has anyone successfully done this?
Oh and the reason I nam buying them now is because they are a good price and already picked off a friend of a friend's tree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 11:50PM by helen.
Re: Delaying avocado ripening
February 08, 2020 01:31AM
I have always put them in the fridge before they ripen and pull them out to ripen as I want them.
February 08, 2020 02:11AM
I've done that and it has worked reasonably well, but I think the better way is to wait until the avos just start to soften, then refrigerate. You will need to keep an eye on them though, as they might not reach the right stage simultaneously.
February 08, 2020 06:57AM
I've put them green in the fridge and brought them out as i need and popped the little tree attachment part off to make them ripen quicker. Works for me.
Regards Dawn.
February 08, 2020 10:50PM
Great, into the fridge they go.
I don't need them for another week or more but at $1 each I couldn't resist buying them.
February 09, 2020 02:43AM
I have just had a message from a green fingered grower who says that if I refrigerate then they may not ever ripen properly so best to ripen and then refrigerate.
I know I have read that before.
Oh the dilemma....
February 09, 2020 07:51AM
I'd ripen to almost ripe, then fridge until the day before needed, pull them out and allow them 24 hours to ripen fully.
February 09, 2020 10:06PM
My experience endorses what TPANDAV and Griz recommend. I leave them out until they reach the stage when you know that they will be exactly right tomorrow, then put them in the fridge to hold!
February 10, 2020 09:20PM
From experience I totally agree with the 'ripen then refrigerate' theory. They are probably not going to be ripe at the same time anyway, even though they were picked on the same day so best to let the natural ripening process occur and then put them in the fridge.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
DK
February 28, 2020 10:53PM
I refrigerate then ripen and they come out great. I've been doing this all summer as my local fruit and vegetable shop has had them due 49c each for most of the summer until last month when they went up to an exorbitant (joking) 69c each!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.