Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

An abundance of eggs!

Posted by Heather F 
An abundance of eggs!
February 22, 2020 02:20AM
Hi FL, I currently have about 3 1/2 dozen fresh, free range eggs, kindly given to me by a couple of friends (I need to practice saying no thank you lol). There's only the two of us, and so far I've made whole egg mayo, scotch eggs, had shakshuka for breakfast a couple of times, I'm making a frittata for dinner tonight, and just discovered Dean Brettschneider's pie recipe with bacon, eggs (a whole dozen yippee!) and curried ricotta.
Any other suggestions pls?
I'm rubbish at sponges, and the recipes seem to all call for 2 sponge tins too, which I really don't want to buy as I seldom bake these days.
Re: An abundance of eggs!
February 22, 2020 02:30AM
Ice cream? I have recipes that use either a lot of yolks or a lot of whites. Let me know if you would like them.
February 22, 2020 05:16AM
Custard and lemon curd for lots of yolks. Meringues for whites. The lemon shortcake recipe here on FL, that takes about 4 or 5 eggs of memory serves.
February 22, 2020 06:42AM
What about giving them away to neighbours or something. That is a lot of eggs.
February 22, 2020 07:09AM
I'm making this for our dinner tonight. [www.gourmettraveller.com.au]
February 24, 2020 12:40AM
That Curry looks lovely Griz, I always have a lot of eggs. A couple of things I like is to make a classic style potato or kumara salad I use 50/50 mayo and sour cream with a dollop of Dijon mustard and season for the dressing and add chopped bacon, chopped hard boiled eggs, gherkin and parsley. Its great with any grilled meat or simple pan fired chicken and green salad. I use 4 or 5 eggs in that. Another one is a nice mildly spiced smoked fish and rice Kedgeree with hard boiled eggs again 4 or 5 eggs in this. And another favorite is an American style chopped layered salad, in a clear glass bowl or triffle bowl you layer sliced iceberg lettuce, then a layer of baby spinach, then a layer of chopped hard boiled eggs (6), layer of cooked bacon chopped, layer of chopped tomatoes, layer of chopped spring onions, then a layer of grated cheese, then a layer of defrosted peas. Then the very last and top layer is a creamy mix of half mayo half sour cream seasoned S&P and a pinch of sugar, smooth over the top until ready to serve. That becomes the dressing for the salad. It's great to take as a pot luck too!
February 24, 2020 02:39AM
freeze in icecube trays for use later
Just a thought
Raewyn G
February 24, 2020 08:24AM
I love pasta carbonara.
February 24, 2020 10:09PM
I might be carrying coals to Newcastle, but whenever I make a salad that has both boiled potatoes and boiled eggs, I cook them together, removing the eggs after about 6 minutes of boiling time. I'm surprised that I have never yet found a recipe that says to do this. I do, of course, wash the eggs before putting them in with the potatoes. Who knows where they've been during and after laying!
February 26, 2020 08:46AM
Haha, Lorna. I’ve done this too, but always worry that it might not be a good idea, as I’ve never heard of anyone else doing it, but it seems such a sensible thing to do. Janet
February 26, 2020 10:17AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm down to 1 1/2 doz as I gave away 1 and used another in Dean's pie.
March 02, 2020 10:40AM
I spoke too soon - we were given another 1 1/2 dozen at the weekend. I'm feeling a strong urge to go and peck at the veggies in the patch, and roll in the dust!

Re Dean B's pie, while it used up lotsa eggs, the flavours just didn't work for us. The ricotta with curry powder was not good with the other ingredients. But it did look very impressive.
J1
March 02, 2020 08:53PM
Gosh, I'd go and give them to the local food bank. That's too much diet distortion for me now.
March 02, 2020 09:52PM
Unwashed eggs keep in the fridge for a long time. Like a couple of months or more. Perhaps not great for scrambled eggs at that time, but fine for baking, crumbling, anything where the egg isn't the main focus. We have 30 some odd chickens and from August through Jan we always have way too many eggs smiling smiley
March 12, 2020 10:49PM
A friend of ours had pickled eggs at a restaurant while in wellington recently, so Came home and pickled some himself. He used beetroot juice for the colour (I’m not sure what else, but he would have googled it). I did try some after a week, but he said they look much more interesting after longer. He’s enjoying them on salad.
March 16, 2020 11:34AM
I saw a post on instagram tonight whereby eggs were broken into silicone muffin trays, frozen and then popped out into a container and stored in the freezer for pies and baking at a later date. Such a good idea.
March 16, 2020 10:08PM
Thank you Helen I did need to know if it was able to be done and what could be done with them once thawed.I will buy some silicone muffin trays later in the week and do this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.