Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Death of cooking magazines

Posted by CarolynC 
Death of cooking magazines
April 22, 2020 06:27AM
Has anyone else been hit by the massive magazine apocalypse? As well as losing magazines like the Listener, I will not longer be getting Taste or Nadia as they belonged to the Bauer Group. I think it's a real loss for NZ and I hope they're able to start up in maybe another form post-lockdown. I really value NZ cooking magazines as they use our seasonal ingredients and feature our producers. I was happy to find a Dish magazine being delivered - turned out they were published by NZME. And I know Cuisine was bought by its editor so presumably that will keep going. So many people in the magazine industry out of work...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2020 06:28AM by CarolynC.
Re: Death of cooking magazines
April 22, 2020 07:14AM
I used to get Nadia and Taste from the library but had subscribed to North & South and the Listener (51 issues to go). So sad that Bauer pulled the plug. I look through Dish and and Cuisine but rarely cook from them. I generally use cooking magazines for inspiration.
April 22, 2020 10:02AM
Let's hope that Bauer find a NZ buyer and these titles are reinstated. it is so disappointing.

My mother is very much missing her weekly Woman's Day and its crossword.
April 22, 2020 10:58AM
The only magazine I miss is The Listener. Mainly for its current affairs and some of its columnists (not the food column however), but also for its tv listings. I have for so many years gone through The Listener tv listings and put a circle around each show that I wanted to record. I hardly ever watch tv live, only the 6pm news occasionally. Now I am trudging through each channel looking for whatever seems interesting and it takes so long for so little reward!

Is there any presently available publication that lists what is on Freeview ?
April 22, 2020 11:23AM
Double hit for us, yes the loss of treasured magazines, but as they were printed by the company my husband works for (he's already being made redundant at end of Aug) there will be more job losses among our friends.
J1
April 22, 2020 11:28AM
I also prefer looking through print media for TV programmes but they are available online [www.freeviewnz.tv]
April 22, 2020 12:28PM
Griz, that's awful for your family..
April 22, 2020 12:48PM
Yes - I miss the Listener too, and I agree that it's important not to forget all the job losses that went with all of those magazines. But great news that Finlay Macdonald, who used to edit the Listener, is joining the quality on-line news digest 'The Conversation' as their NZ Editor: Politics, Business + Arts, and Veronika Meduna is already their NZ Editor: Science, Health + Environment. I check Freeview programmes in the Nelson Mail and the Sunday Star Times, both of which which I subscribe to. But of course you can't see the whole week in advance...
April 22, 2020 12:54PM
Oh Griz I am so sorry to hear that. There are so many layers of people impacted by these decisions.
Fingers crossed at least some of the titles will be bought and retained.
April 25, 2020 12:14PM
TPANDAV if you push guide on your tv remote or go into google & put into it TV guide NZ, it comes up on screen on your iPad or laptop.
April 25, 2020 12:25PM
Thanks Lyn V, but I'm aware of all the digital tv guides. What I miss is having something on paper that I can read and mark anything I want to record, then it's a quick job to use the remote and just go to the channels that have something I'm interested in. I find it annoying to have to scroll through every channel for every day just in case there is something of interest. It's not a big deal, but I do miss The Listener and its tv recommendations and listings.

I hardly ever watch live tv, just the 6pm news sometimes. Everything else is recorded so we can avoid the ads.
J1
April 25, 2020 11:00PM
This may be of limited help - for TV1, TV2, TV3, Maori, Prime and freeview channels, not for a whole week, and not able to be written on (unless copy pasted or printscreened into a computer document/programme where you can then mark it) but it has the glorious easy-to-read vertical listing set-out. Note, to add channels, click on the Add Channels tab.

[freetvguide.co.nz]

There's also that TV Guide [mags4gifts.co.nz] that's sold at supermarket checkouts? It's a little booklet style? I've never looked at it so don't know what it's like, and personally I wouldn't buy something just for TV listings. If you subscribe to a newspaper, well I know our local newspaper lists TV, plus the Dominion Post puts out a weekly TV Guide, so that's another way of getting a printed one.
April 25, 2020 11:31PM
I use the Free TV Guide that J1 has mentioned above. It's customisable so that you need see only the channels you are interested in and there are lots of colour schemes to make it pleasing to your eye. The best thing about it is, it's setioned off into morning, afternoon, evening and overnight, just by a line, but it makes for easy checking the various channels across the page for programmes that interest you. For anything that interests me, I simply add it to my laptop calendar with a reminder set for 5 minutes before the programme starts.

For On Demand I generally go straight to my TV where I can see all the channels and their offerings - the big disadvantage being that (on my TV, an LG) they have dispensed with My Favourites. However, I can find my favourites through my laptop although it has to be done separately for each channel.
April 27, 2020 06:45AM
I too am sad to see these magazines going. The media has become such a challenging environment with the lack of advertising budget right now.

It has become a self fulfilling circle - publications are declining, less people read them, less advertising and circulation, less money to spend on content, publications decline further.

I suscribed to the Listener and miss that one. The others I purchase occasionally - Nadia, Taste and North and South. I do get two Heralds delivered a week and pay The Spinoff for a membership. We have to pay to get good content and the advertising is going to Facebook and Instagram and Youtube etc....

I am hopeful that some titles will be picked up again like The Listener which has a loyal niche in the market place.
April 28, 2020 06:16AM
Re The Listener, I subscribed with Flybuys (as I did with the cooking magazines too), but my mother didn't. She tells me Magazine Shop have contacted her to say that they are trying to find a buyer for the Listener and aparently negotiations are going well. I'm a flicker-through-and-circler of the TV listings as well, TPANDAV, so I would love to have the Listener back. So sorry to hear about the printing company, Griz. I'd heard they were all printed in one place so that would have had a massive effect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.