Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

cooking corned beef

Posted by fionah 
cooking corned beef
April 23, 2020 02:13AM
Hi all
We don't eat corned beef very often....when we do I usually cook it in the slow cooker or microwave while I'm at work.
I'm on 'holiday' currently (meant to be in Perth!) and having corned beef tonight.
So... my question is now that I am home all day, what is the best method of cooking corned silverside. I always add some orange zest, peppercorns, bayleaf etc, but I wonder how others cook it for tender delicious meat that's not falling apart and therefore stringy.

Points added for best accompaniments - I usually make a mustard sauce.
thanks!
Re: cooking corned beef
April 23, 2020 02:33AM
It depends on the cut of beef and the method of corning. Is it brisket or silverside? Has it been naturally brined or did it come in a plastic wrap covered in pink goo?
April 23, 2020 03:07AM
Hi TPANDAV

its silverside and yes in plastic and pink 'goo'. Not a lot of choice currently although we have been able to do a contactless collection from a good local butcher just of late.
April 23, 2020 05:05AM
In that case it will be very tender. Wash the pink gloop off, put in a big pan, cover with water and your choice of flavourings, bring to a simmer and simmer for about an hour or until a fine skewer will penetrate it easily. You can then leave it in the cooking liquid for at least half an hour (if serving hot) or until it is cool. Discard the cooking liquid.

The flavourings I like are bay leaves, fresh thyme and a sliced onion.
April 23, 2020 05:44AM
I wash and rub the pink gloop off, put in a large pot of cold water, bring to simmer, tip it into the sink and give it another wash to get the froth off, then back into more cold water with onion, orange studded with cloves, (or stud the onion instead if none available) golden syrup or brown sugar (about a tablespoon), bay leaf or two, malt vinegar and peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and leave for about 2 hours depending on the size of the meat. Leave to cool in the water.

I don't like sauces with mine preferring a hefty dollop of Dijon instead and prefer cold CB to hot.

We had been living overseas for some time and went to UK to visit family late 90's. We were both hankering after corned beef but it was winter and none available. My husband was brought up with it as a summer meal served with minted buttery potatoes, green beans, slices of tomato, beetroot, cucumber and Coleman's mustard on the side. That's the way I enjoy it now much to the disgust of most Kiwis.
April 23, 2020 06:16AM
I use flavourings much the same as Kone: whole onion, carrot broken into 2, 6 or so cloves, a large tablespoon of golden syrup, 3 tablespoons vinegar - I'm not exact with my flavourings so don't be fussy measuring - no salt. Rinse the meat and cover with water and gently simmer until a fork slides in the middle of the meat, don't overcook to cause falling apart and that is why I prefer to cook it in a saucepan rather than the crockpot as it tends to overcook and fall apart in the crockpot.

Be sure to slice across the grain and not with the grain. We love it hot first night and cold the next.
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
April 23, 2020 06:30AM
We followed a recipe for it once where you cook it in ginger beer. Something like this
[www.recipes.co.nz]
April 23, 2020 06:33AM
Fionah - I have always cooked my corned silverside in the microwave in ginger ale with the addition of sliced onion, whole cloves, grated ginger and a dollop of golden syrup. I always cook it in the morning and leave it to stand in the microwave, so it's still warmish at dinner time - it is lovely and tender and easy to slice. I like mustard sauce (Edmond's recipe) and we usually have cabbage (stir fried with garlic and caraway seed), carrots peas or beans and a potato bake to accompany.

I always look forward to sandwiches for lunch the next day and probably the one after. I like a hot mustard with cold corned beef.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
April 23, 2020 08:48AM
I cook mine on the stovetop much like Kone and Dawn. I never throw the cooking liquid out because, after removing all the floaty things (peppercorns, cloves, etc), it makes brilliant soup. Lots of finely chopped or grated carrots and parsnip, celery and onion and packet soup mix (split peas, pearl barley, etc). Delicious.
Lynne2
April 24, 2020 04:08PM
I'd never thought of doing that Lynne2, I've got a corned beef in my fridge for this week. I'll do it in the slow cooker. Night shift worker so I prep the night before. Wash off goop, put in slow cooker and cover with water, add onion, carrot, whole mixed spices, bay leaf, brown sugar and a splash of vinegar. Cook on high for 4 hours (at which point mine switches to a keep warm option, if I'm sleeping the Mr turns it on for me before he goes to work) I use the liquor to make mustard sauce and like others look forward to it cold the next day.
But I'd never used the liquor for soup, trying that this week.
April 25, 2020 12:05PM
We are very partial to corned beef too, I cook mine depending on size about 20 to 30 minutes in a pressure cooker I add much the same as you Kone to the water & I keep the liquid to make the Edmonds mustard sauce but I do prefer Colman’s mustard. Never thought of Using it for a soup base will try that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2020 12:06PM by Lyn V.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.