Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Substitute for Wholemeal flour

Posted by amwilliams 
Substitute for Wholemeal flour
May 05, 2020 10:41AM
I cannot find wholemeal flour in the supermarkets just now and am wanting to make a carrot cake which has wholemeal flour in it. What can I use instead?
Thanks
Averil
Re: Substitute for Wholemeal flour
May 05, 2020 12:38PM
Sorry, I'm no help, as I'm the same as you but for a different reason Averl. I want to make J1's Kumera Bread, but no wholemeal flour available. I am patiently waiting for wholemeal's return!
Regards,
Dawn.
May 05, 2020 10:05PM
I've been making normal yeast bread with Spelt (gluten) and/or Cassava flours (gluten free) of which I had plenty in my fridge and freezers. There are recipes online for carrot cakes using these flours. No idea if you can buy them at present.
J1
May 05, 2020 11:58PM
You could sub in white flour instead or make this carrot cake recipe which uses white flour [www.thekiwicountrygirl.com]

The internet suggests (you'd need to do this in reverse because you're subbing white flour for whole wheat flour):
To substitute whole wheat flour for white flour, use 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour for every 1 cup of white flour that your recipe calls for. Also, add 2 teaspoons of liquid, like water or milk, for every 1 cup of whole wheat flour you use so your recipe doesn't turn out too dry.

Substitutes for wholemeal flour (just for the information - it won't be of much use at the moment as most will be out of stock or too hard to get, and many not ideal for using in carrot cake):
[tastessence.com]

Dawn, you can make the kumara bread with entirely white flour but you'll need to adjust the water volume a bit, plus it won't be as healthy and the texture will be affected somewhat. I don't think I've made a completely white flour version of it so I can't say what the end result would definitely be like, but I used to make it with 315g white and 315g wholemeal and it was perfectly fine.
May 06, 2020 12:31AM
Thanks - looks like I will just have to be patient until wholemeal flour comes back into the supermarkets or maybe just use plain flour instead.
May 09, 2020 06:00AM
I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago and found this page: wholemeal flour substitute. It says: 7/8 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoon (6 grams) wheat germ.
May 09, 2020 07:42AM
You could try your local organic shop - ours had wholemeal flour in their bulk bins, which they were selling in 1.5 kg plain paper bags.
May 09, 2020 08:06AM
Thanks J1 and Cas3112 for your comments. Now that I have hi-grade flour my breadmaker is baking a white loaf for us, and I've decided to wait until I can get proper wholemeal flour before I repeat J1's Kumara Bread. However, I did have a wee google search before lamenting the lack of wholemeal flour above, and also found a suggestion adding wheatgerm to plain flour but I wasn't game enough to try and thought I might waste too much lovely kumara if it was a failure! grinning smiley However, it would may work satisfactarily for AMWilliam's cake.

Thanks too to Karena - we don't have a local organic shop near, but when the shackles are taken down and we're are allowed to go out and about more, I will seek an organic shop.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 08:07AM by Dawn.
May 10, 2020 09:05AM
Someone has suggested using rolled oats and putting them through the food processor to use in place of wholemeal flour.
May 10, 2020 09:51AM
amwilliams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone has suggested using rolled oats and
> putting them through the food processor to use in
> place of wholemeal flour.

I think the problem with rolled oats would be the lack of gluten. I wouldn’t be keen to try it.
May 17, 2020 08:25AM
Went to the Organic shop in Invercargill and got some wholemeal flour there. Didn't think of it earlier and the cake turned out really well.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
May 18, 2020 01:03AM
One of our supermarkets is selling something called 'mixed grain bread mix' in the flour section which they say is suitable for breadmakers and home baking (they still don't have wholemeal flour) I didn't check the list of ingredients, but wondered if anyone had tried it.
May 18, 2020 03:38AM
I have tried the Edmonds Mixed Grain Bread Mix. It makes a fluffy bread. Do check the expiry date because oil is incorporated. Mine lingered in the pantry after baking one loaf and I threw the rest out because it had a strange smell because I left it for too long. I think it would make a reasonable alternative for bread baking while whole meal is in short supply.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.