Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Microwave baking

Posted by helen 
Microwave baking
June 18, 2020 01:43AM
I hadn't realised that our microwave shortbread recipe on foodlovers rates highly on google search.
It is a recipe that has been community provided and so I will test it.
My question is, do I need to buy a specific microwave dish to bake in the microwave in or have people had success with other kitchen ware?
Also the recipe says to elevate the dish - any tips of doing this without purchasing anything?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2020 01:46AM by helen.
Re: Microwave baking
June 18, 2020 01:54AM
Helen, back in the day when microwaves first came on the scene, you could buy sets of microwave baking dishes which were a special type of plastic - I have one which has a two ring cake pans of different sizes, loaf pan, flat baking sheet and muffin pan. I'm not sure if you can still get those, but I wouldn't go buying anything especially - any pyrex dish will be fine along with most ceramic dishes - in fact any dish that has 'microwave safe' stamped on the bottom.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
June 18, 2020 02:02AM
Helen, to elevate your baking dish I would suggest inverting something like a ramekin dish and putting your dish on top.
June 18, 2020 02:15AM
Excellent thank you. I have just made American Style Chocolate Chip Cookies and now is it microwave shortbread. smiling smiley
June 18, 2020 02:31AM
I think you'll find that you don't have to elevate dishes in microwaves now. I remember the instructions for my first microwave said to do so, but my second one (same brand) didn't. I now have a third one which does not have a turntable and everything sits on the bottom. So be guided by the instruction manual of the microwave you are using.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2020 02:33AM by Barbara Anne.
June 22, 2020 08:28AM
7 weeks of lockdown with no kitchen and only a microwave, oh how I longed for those two ring tins .
June 23, 2020 12:06AM
Stephanie D, that must have been very hard. I sympathise. Cooking more than usual was how most of us reacted.
June 23, 2020 12:13AM
You can improvise making a ring 'tin' for the microwave by taking a ceramic dish and placing a cup or glass of suitable size upside down in the middle. You'd need to spoon the mixture in carefully, putting small a blob of mix in 3 or 4 places around the glass to hold it steady before pouring in the bulk of the mixture. Silicone also works well in the microwave. I poach eggs by themselves (no water) in those little bowls that pre-made fruit jellies, steamed puddings, etc come in, (the sets of 4). I just wipe round with a drop of oil in to be sure the egg turns out nicely, prick the yolk with a toothpick and put a folded paper towel on top. Set the microwave to about medium and cook it in bursts of 1 minute till done to your liking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.