Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Heating plates - do you bother?

Posted by Jenna 
Heating plates - do you bother?
July 08, 2020 12:30PM
My mother never heated plates before serving unless she was hosting a dinner party. Odd, because she was a wonderful and adventurous cook who usually did all the 'right' things. However, as it was never a habit for her, it never became a habit for me. That said, I was pondering this tonight as I poured hot water into bowls to heat them before they housed porridge. The only thing I regularly heat a bowl for, and I'm not sure why I even do that!

Do other people heat plates regularly still or is it one of those things that we've learned we can skip without it actually ruining a meal?
Re: Heating plates - do you bother?
July 08, 2020 01:08PM
I almost always warm plates and serving dishes if we are having hot food. I just put them in the oven at about 60 C 10 min before dinner.
July 08, 2020 10:58PM
I heat my plates and it depends on what I'm cooking as to the method of heating. If I have something in the microwave, I will sit whatever it's cooking in on the plate I'm going to eat it off. Job done! If it's something cooking in the over, I put the plate(s) on top (it's a bench top oven) at the start of cooking and the plate(s) are beautifully warm when it's time to eat. Failing either of those two methods, I'll boil the jug and fill the plate I'm going to eat off with boiling water a couple of minutes before I'm ready to serve whatever is cooking, usually something done on the stove top.
July 09, 2020 12:19AM
I guess it is a familial habit. Mum never did, so I have never bothered
July 09, 2020 12:22AM
I heat them in the microwave (horrors!) but a few years ago learned that one can do that without faffing about with wet kitchen paper or any water. 1m 30s for our two dinner plates.
I was lazy yesterday and didn't heat our soup bowls at lunch time and the bubbling soup became tepid in the bowl very quickly, taking the edge of my enjoyment of it.
It's interesting which foods need to be piping hot for full enjoyment and which can be warm, or room temperature. Years ago I read a book or article 'In Praise of Luke Warm Food,' and have adopted the precept...but for the life of me, sitting here shivering, cannot think of a food to illustrate the point!
sue
July 09, 2020 12:35AM
Always put our plates in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Interesting my mother always heated her plates and just hates been given a cold plate, so I must have
learnt from her.
J1
July 09, 2020 01:01AM
I don't like hot food, especially soups, and will sometimes sit and wait for my plated food to cool down a bit before eating it, so definitely not a plate warmer here. Maybe some of us have different sensitivities to how much heat our mouths can stand as I've often experienced people eating food at the same table as me which would burn my mouth if I ate it at the same time they are. If I'm having a hot drink, I'll usually let it sit for five minutes before it's at a temperature I can ingest without burning my mouth. I find if the food or drink is hot, it spoils the ability to savour the flavour and overwhelms the other eating sensations. Excessively hot curries do the same thing - all you end up with is the heat and everything else is lost.

Where I worked, we had communal morning and afternoon teas. It was always difficult for me because I could never drink my hot cup of tea in the time allotted. Eventually (I was young), I cottoned on to getting up, going to the kitchen,tipping about a quarter of it down the sink and refilling with cold water, and then it was at a drinkable temperature and I could imbibe at the same pace as everyone else......
July 09, 2020 01:20AM
I heat my plates, using whichever method is the easiest. If I have anything in the bench oven, the plates go on top, the microwave, using Lorna's method. The standard oven if that is on or hot water. It is where I sadly miss having a warming drawer.
July 09, 2020 01:39AM
i only heat plates when cooking a roast, doesn’t make sense but perhaps it’s tradition.
I really like hot food so would prefer warm plates, it is habit
Mum never warmed plates but my MIL always did.
July 09, 2020 01:43AM
Depends on what I am serving, If we have friends over, then yes I heat. Same with pasta as that seems to go cold quickly if not. Mostly, I don't bother as my son & husband eat quite fast so the food generally stays hot!
July 09, 2020 01:52AM
Interesting smiling smiley Maybe I'll give it a go and see if I become a convert. I like to eat food *hot* too, although I can cope just fine with warm meat that has rested. That said, the last thing I need a meal serving time is another step.. the gannets are already circling by that point!

I can't do spicy food at all, and same thing, I can no longer taste or enjoy any aspect of eating once my mouth is even a little tingling. Quite frustrating when it seems to be all the rage to put a bit of heat into nearly everything /end rant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 01:55AM by Jenna.
July 09, 2020 01:53AM
I like warm plates - we always had them when I was growing up. These days they sit on top of the woodburner for a few minutes before serving, otherwise, like Marnie, depending on what I'm cooking I either put them in the oven or in the sink with hot water.

Interesting that you say that you only heat the plates when you're cooking a roast, Helen - I understand that warming plates come from our English heritage, so I think you're right when you say it's tradition.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 01:54AM by Barbara Anne.
July 11, 2020 04:29AM
My mother always warmed the plates, so I do too - and it makes a big difference, especially in a South Island winter! 30 secs in the microwave or on top of the wood burner at this time of year, in the oven if I'm using it. If I've got guests I also heat serving dishes - if not, serve the food straight onto the plate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.