Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Helens One Pan Chicken Curry, rice Dinner

Posted by Lyn V 
Helens One Pan Chicken Curry, rice Dinner
July 10, 2020 10:35AM
I made this tonight & it was absolutely gorgeous, enjoyed all round thank you Helen.
Re: Helens One Pan Chicken Curry, rice Dinner
July 10, 2020 12:42PM
Oh great, thanks Lyn. We really like it too.
If you don't mind could you leave feedback on the recipe so others who are deciding whether to make it can see it.
I have another one pan dish ready to come out next week. Chicken again but I promise to move to another protein after that. smiling smiley
July 13, 2020 01:19AM
Helen, would you be able to post your recipe for your homemade curry power? I have only ever bought the one in the canister in the spice department of the supermarket, it's tasted the same for years but it would be nice to try something new and I really like Fennel.
July 13, 2020 02:05AM
Lyn, did you use curry leaves in the recipe or can they be left out? I have been trying to track some down since reading about them in another post, so far unsuccessfully.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
July 13, 2020 06:00AM
I did use a curry leaf as I had some im my freezer but I don't think it evoked any extra flavour as I think it may have been too old. It was lovely without it & the left overs were really lovely the next day. Will make this again, I had a salad with it & that worked perfectly.
July 13, 2020 07:51AM
I want to cook this also but I don't have a heavy based frypan at the moment, and I guess you need one for this.
July 13, 2020 10:02AM
If you don’t already have a simmer mat aka heat diffuser pad, do buy one. It allows you to cook stews etc in a thin pan and works as well as a heavy based pan. It can be used under cast iron pots to avoid hot spots.

marylew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want to cook this also but I don't have a heavy
> based frypan at the moment, and I guess you need
> one for this.
July 13, 2020 09:12PM
Thank you meganp I don't have one of those and it sounds like a good investment.I will buy one because this chicken recipe looks lovely.Thanks again.
July 14, 2020 09:41AM
I am keen to try this recipe but all I can get are skinless thighs. Would I have to do something extra to achieve a good result?
July 14, 2020 12:14PM
Chris I made it the other day with mixed chicken pieces. I think the skin on is ideal, as it gives the curry powder something to stick to and gets a lovely golden coating,
You can make it with skinless chicken though if need be.
July 14, 2020 10:52PM
Our discussion on another thrread about not being able to buy chicken with the skin on must have been read by our local New World butcher because this week we can buy all chicken breast, thight, drumsticks and marylands, all with the skin on and bone in. YAY!!
July 17, 2020 01:00AM
I didn't have skin on mine as I used what chicken I had in my freezer & whilst the skin would have made it adhere to better it still was reLly lovely. I wonder Marylou if you could just put it on reLly low if it would work. Some of the rice stuck a little bit on my pan but I scraped it up & added it in, still a great tadte.
July 17, 2020 08:11AM
Thanks Lyn V I am going to buy a good heavy fry pan very soon as I can see that I would use it lots and also one of the simmer mats that meganp suggests.I am looking forward to going shopping very soon.This lovely looking recipe is making me me hurry myself along.Thanks again.
July 18, 2020 12:09AM
I will post the homemade curry powder recipe this morning.
Sorry I missed that request.
July 25, 2020 10:07AM
I managed to buy a packet of dried curry leaves. Do they get eaten or do I fish them out like for instance bay leaves? The leaves look rather small. Is that how they should be? I am looking forward tontrying this recipe.
July 25, 2020 10:21AM
I haven't used dried curry leaves, but fresh ones are completely edible. The size of fresh leaves is around one to two cm length and they are tender enough to eat whole, no need to fish them out before serving.
July 25, 2020 11:24PM
I've got curry leaves that were fresh when I bought them but froze soon after my purchase. I always fish them out first if I can find them, or when I come across them. It never occurred to me to leave them in. I must taste one next time I use them.
July 25, 2020 11:56PM
Thank you Lorna and TPANDAV. I will let you know how it worked and what they taste like. I read that the dried one are a waste of time. The dried leaves are a good 1 cm long.
July 26, 2020 11:25AM
Dry curry leaves should be fine, I have used them before and while not as fragrant as fresh they were still OK.

Curry powder

3 tablespoons coriander seeds -lightly toasted in a hot pan
2 tablespoons cumin seeds - ightly toasted in a hot pan
2 teaspoons fennel seeds - ightly toasted in a hot pan
1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds - ightly toasted in a hot pan
1/2 cinnamon quill, broken in to pieces
10 dried curry leaves
3 teaspoons ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Bltiz to a powder in a spice ginder
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.