Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Brussels Sprouts

Posted by Marnie 
Brussels Sprouts
July 18, 2020 12:18AM
I used to shudder at the thought of brussels sprouts after childhood memories of them being boiled to death.
A couple of times lately they have been included in the vegetable selection at restaurants and we found we both liked them.
Without adding a lot of other ingredients, how do you prefer to cook yours?
Re: Brussels Sprouts
July 18, 2020 01:04AM
In this house we have always loved them but I am enjoying cooking them in all sorts of more up to date ways. For instance last night a medley of green vegetables in my saute pan, Brussel's sprouts halved (they were big but tight) put cut side down in a splash of oil until they'd taken on a little colour, then a small cup of peas, and florets of broccoli, a generous knob of butter, Maldon salt and freshly ground pepper and a splash of hot water from the kettle to make them sizzle, and the lid put on for a few minutes, shaking them about until the water has evaporated. Very simple and very good.
I am best pleased when I happen upon really tight perfect baby sprouts. My grandfather tried to convince my elder sister to eat them by calling them fairy cabbages, she rolled her eyes, but I, four years younger, needed no further encouragement.
July 18, 2020 04:42AM
We love sprouts so I tend not to do too much to them - I just halve, boil for a few minutes, drain, dress with butter or olive oil. Miso butter is a lovely dressing for them. Sometimes I brown left over sprouts in butter.

Tonight we have guests coming for dinner who dislike all veges except potatoes (they are always a worry to cook for) and I'm going to dress Brussels sprouts with crisp strips of bacon to see if I can seduce them into eating some.
July 18, 2020 11:27PM
My favourite is to saute finely sliced brussel sprouts in butter with a couple of anchovy fillets - delicious
July 19, 2020 12:39AM
I love Brussells Sprouts and the easiest and very tasty way to cook them is to grate them on a coarse grater and quickly stir fry them in butter with some finely chopped bacon and mushrooms with a sprinkling of thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.
J1
July 19, 2020 03:23AM
I like them pretty much any way but particularly enjoy slicing them thinly, then cooking them in 1-2 tspns butter with lid on, on an element heat that will cause some caramelisation, and once the caramelisation's done I tend to turn the element off and let them rest for up to 15 minutes, because I prefer them soft. A dash of salt and pepper.
July 19, 2020 01:15PM
Thanks foodlover friends....for the first time I am actually looking forward to having brussels sprouts.

I was at the Gate Pa shopping centre today and bought some at the very good fruit and vegetable store Nice looking and firm and also some lovely fresh broccoli.
July 19, 2020 10:55PM
I cook mine in the microwave until al dente - that way they keep their lovely green colour (steaming would have the same effect).

I then make a mixture of finely chopped onion and bacon, and basil or dill and a grind of black pepper and cook in butter (either in the microwave or pan).

Pile mixture over cooked sprouts and reheat just before serving.

I was just thinking that I haven't seen any 'loose' sprouts this year in our supermarket - only the little pre-packaged ones. Has anyone else noticed that?

Regards,

Barbara Anne
July 19, 2020 11:56PM
Barbara Anne, our local New World (Whitianga) has loose sprouts at $8.79kg as well as the packaged ones. I always buy the loose ones because no matter how much I love Brussells Sprouts, I cannot finish a bag of them before they are looking yellow with black spots and most unappetising. I buy 8 sprouts at a time and have either one meal of them done in a 'fancy' way, or two meals of 4 srouts each to accompany whatever else I'm having at that meal.
July 20, 2020 12:01AM
Plenty of loose sprouts in my NW supermarket. I love them slightly browned in olive oil and butter, then add a little water to steam them. Salt, pepper and nutmeg to finish. A little creme fraiche added makes a lovely sauce.
July 20, 2020 12:42AM
I do and love both Barbara Anne's versions and also like slicing them very thinly in the food processor and quickly cooking them with butter and a fraction of water, s&p.
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
May 25, 2021 01:49AM
We made this last weekend and it was totally delicious. We're looking forward to having it again. We have lots of parsnips from our garden and Brussels sprouts are in the shops. [www.thecrepesofwrath.com]
May 25, 2021 05:00AM
That looks lovely J1 and I've printed off the recipe. I also love roasted parsnips just on their own!
Regards,
Dawn.
May 25, 2021 05:16AM
Looks a great combination, J1. I, too have printed this recipe.
May 25, 2021 11:47AM
Sautéed with Bacon and Pinie nuts or walnuts instead. I only really like them when pan fried or possibly shaved raw into a slaw if they are young and tender.
May 26, 2021 12:46AM
Yum, just put some of the ingredients on my shopping list for this morning. Love brussels sprouts and parsnips but have never thought of cooking them together!
May 26, 2021 05:46AM
I have a friend who pan-fries hers halved with garlic until the cut faces are brown, and they're lovely. I usually roast mine.
May 26, 2021 07:36AM
I have never liked brussel sprouts as each time I steam them they have a bitter taste. This forum has given us different ways to cook them so when next getting groceries I will get some brussel sprouts. Marnie i love the gate pa shop, everything looks so fresh
May 26, 2021 01:07PM
I love them raw in a salad finely sliced (cut in half first), with cubed avocado, feta cheese (or parmesan) and walnuts. Mayonnaise style dressing with plain yoghurt and a little lemon juice.
May 26, 2021 10:47PM
Lightlybsteam then, add to oven tray with drizzle of oil and balsamic, salt and pepper and roast! Yumm....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.