Zimtsterne
September 15, 2020 08:29AM
A lovely German workmate gave me a recipe for Zimtsterne biscuits. It calls for Kirschwasser, which I understand is translated as Kirsch water, but not too sweet as Kirsch might be. She was unsure what to substitute this with, I would like to give these a go and maybe include them as part of my Christmas baking.

Has anyone made these and could advise?

I have had a dig around the internet.

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 08:47AM by Ali W.
Re: Zimtsterne
September 15, 2020 08:40AM
What I found in a quick look is that they appear to be different terms for the same thing...

Kirsch, also called Kirschwasser, dry, colourless brandy distilled from the fermented juice of the black morello cherry.

[www.britannica.com]

What is Kirschwasser?
The term translates literally as "cherry water". Kirschwasser is a German clear brandy distilled from cherry juice and pits. Also known as kirsh this brandy is the alcohol used in traditional Swiss Fondue.

[www.gourmetsleuth.com]

Produced in mainly in Germany, but also in Switzerland and the Alsace region of France, Kirsch’s full name is kirsch wasser (pronounced vasser), meaning cherry water.

[www.bbcgoodfood.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 08:42AM by Jenna.
September 15, 2020 08:57AM
Ali, I grew up in Germany and Zimtsterne were a must at Christmas time. I have never come across a recipe where Kirschwasser was part of a recipe for Zimtsterne. Sounds intriguing though and I bet they taste great.
September 15, 2020 09:33AM
Chris - my best friend in high school was Swiss by origin, and her family introduced me to Basler Leckerli. Omg. When my friend and I travelled to Switzerland for Christmas after we finished HS (a very cool gift from her parents to me) I binged on Basler Leckerli so badly, lol. It was everywhere! In the last few years I've actually found it for sale at NW stores in the upper NI, and it's even the same brand as I loved back then. At $20 a bag, it is very much a treat.. but one I look forward to and enjoy so very much. I think it is slightly chewy texture that can't get enough of. I've tried making it a couple of times over the years (with kirsch in the icing) and I can't get it right. Probably because I didn't learn from an old Swiss grandmother smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 09:35AM by Jenna.
September 17, 2020 07:15AM
Hi Ali

Kirschwasser is definitely brandy, not liquor so not sweet at all. Never seen it in a recipe for Zimtsterne however. Would you share the recipe?

Prenzel has a Kirsch concentrate which might be a suitable substitute?
September 17, 2020 07:19AM
Hi Jenna

Are Basler Leckerli with aniseed? We have Springerle (southwest, just across the border, recognise the similar diminutive?) which are also said to be tricky. Baking with aniseed, the top is meant to rise a bit which gives them a very distinctive appearance.
September 19, 2020 07:44AM
Sorry, I won't share the recipe as it is out of a published book
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.