Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Kombucha/Scoby

Posted by Chris 
Kombucha/Scoby
November 17, 2020 09:25PM
I have had a scoby in the back of the fridge for a good six months now because I have not made any Kombucha over winter. It smells and looks fine, no sign of mould. Would it be ok to use or could it be perhaps be ineffective by now?
Re: Kombucha/Scoby
November 30, 2020 09:35AM
Chris I am guessing that none of us know the answer but I am curious as to what you did.
Was it still alive?
December 01, 2020 01:08AM
I enquired re my Scobie for when we go away for 3 weeks over Christmas...I was told I am ok to leave it covered with the couple of cups amount of the already currently being used Kombucha, in cool place and it will be fine.. for up to 6 weeks would be fine.so..., although this is not what you asked, I am not to sure about 6 months...My directions say that if it looks a funny colour do NOT drink contents.....Also says, do not keep the made up ready to bottle and consume Kombucha more than 30 days.
May give you some idea.
Jan
December 01, 2020 03:20AM
Thank you, Helen and Jan. The scoby is still staring at me from the top shelf in the fridge. Still looking and smelling fine. It will be added to the compost bin and I should have no trouble getting another one. I don’t know why I dithered for so long. It’s not worth the risk using it after such a long time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.