Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

No Bake Slice Recipe - freezing?

Posted by Irene Field 
No Bake Slice Recipe - freezing?
August 23, 2021 01:08AM
George brought these Malt biscuits, and they are tastless pieces of cardboard. I was thinking of making a no bake slice. No condensed milk in the house but have sourced a recipe using egg. With having egg in them - would these freeze ok?

Have asked the almighty Google and condensed milk ones freeze well, but can find no reference to egg based slices.
Re: No Bake Slice Recipe - freezing?
August 23, 2021 01:56AM
Irene, we freeze biscuits and cakes that have eggs in them so I would think the slice should freeze well. Perhaps I didn’t interpret your query properly? Well I didn’t because I overlooked the No Bake bit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 01:57AM by Chris.
August 23, 2021 02:23AM
Irene - I would err on the side of caution and not freeze anything with uncooked egg in it.

Had you thought about making your own condensed milk? Milk, sweetener of some sort, butter and vanilla essence all of which you probably have on hand. There are a few recipes on google - the one I looked at was on addapinch.com.

Just an idea and then you can happily freeze your slice.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
August 23, 2021 03:08AM
Thanks ladies. I thought it would be a bit dodgy to freeze with raw egg in it. Well George came to the rescue, and looked at me in total shock when I said I was considering freezing some. I am under strict instructions not to. The two legged garbage disposal unit who can eat unlimited amounts of calories with no ill effects is going to consume the majority.

Barbara Anne - I never considered making my own condensed milk. That is fantastic. My granddaughter was complaining to me that they never have condensed milk in the pantry, and it's a nuisance having to go into town to purchase some. My suggestion was to keep a tin in the pantry and when it's used immediately replace it. But am going to share this tip with them as well.

Cheers ladies
August 23, 2021 03:32AM
"The two legged garbage disposal unit who can eat unlimited amounts of calories with no ill effects is going to consume the majority."

Irene -- oh how hard it must be to live with that! My father is the same.. I however, inherited my mother's metabolism and body shape moody smiley
August 23, 2021 05:04AM
Jenna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The two legged garbage disposal unit who can eat
> unlimited amounts of calories with no ill effects
> is going to consume the majority."
>
> Irene -- oh how hard it must be to live with that!
> My father is the same.. I however, inherited my
> mother's metabolism and body shape moody smiley

Jenna, it is extremely hard! Even his workmates are astounded at his appetite, as are family. And healthwise - touch wood - healthy. It is a pre requisite at his work they have yearly health checks. Only his hearing is not as good as it should be, but that is from years in mining, not from eating copious amounts of calories.

My metabolism resembles a snails and my body shape a short compressed package smiling smiley
J1
August 23, 2021 05:50AM
Irene, you need a fecal transplant from your husband grinning smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smiley eye popping smiley
[clinicaltrials.gov]
August 23, 2021 11:09PM
Oh, J1, that sounds so gross, especially on a food forum! And I'm in the middle of eating my morning muesli while reading the forums. eye rolling smiley
J1
August 24, 2021 12:03AM
grinning smiley Well, you can get it in pill form although that means going through that way rather than the other way so not sure it's any easier on the imagination.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 24, 2021 12:11AM
Some people may infer I am already full of sh*t anyway? smiling smiley
August 24, 2021 01:05AM
Irene grinning smileygrinning smiley
August 24, 2021 06:59AM
Oh my that has made me laugh!
I am definitely going to try making sweetened condensed milk - a good lockdown thing to amuse me.

Oh and Freddie had a fecal transplant in April and thought it the worst thing ever. Mind you he is 16 and has led a healthy non medically invasive life to date. smiling smiley
August 24, 2021 07:45AM
Yes, I vaguely remember you saying that, Helen, which is why I refrained from commenting - except that I would say that J1 has won the prize for the 'Off-Topic Post of the Century".

Continuing down the 'off-topic' track I would be interested to know if said procedure has helped Freddie?

Regards,

Barbara Anne
J1
August 25, 2021 12:54AM
Heh, given that salmonella has now been found in NZ eggs and the topic of this thread is no bake slice recipes - which often contain raw eggs to bind - one could be forgiven for thinking gut issues and their remedies are quite relevant and on topic, no? grinning smiley smiling bouncing smiley eye popping smiley winking smiley
August 25, 2021 09:37PM
Barbara Anne unfortunately the treatment didn’t help Freddie. 80% have some improvement but not him. The very weird thing with Post Infectious IBS is that after 7 years or so it can just go away. Freddie is up to 3 years…
August 28, 2021 08:14AM
I wasn't actually looking for this recipe, but stumbled upon it when I was looking at Westgold's recipes and I thought it was worth putting a link to it here in case anyone else wanted to make and freeze a slice similar to Irene's recipe, but in this one I would consider the added eggs to be sufficiently cooked to enable the slice to be frozen.

[westgold.com]

Regards,
Dawn.
August 28, 2021 10:06AM
Dawn, that Westgold recipe is the first thing I ever made as a child. It was from a hand written recipe that my mother had copied from somewhere, and we called it Fudge Cake. I do recall it being extremely sweet, more like confectionery than baking. I would never make it now, but respect it as something that played a part in my lifelong love of cooking.
August 28, 2021 10:53AM
Dawn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wasn't actually looking for this recipe, but
> stumbled upon it when I was looking at Westgold's
> recipes and I thought it was worth putting a link
> to it here in case anyone else wanted to make and
> freeze a slice similar to Irene's recipe, but in
> this one I would consider the added eggs to be
> sufficiently cooked to enable the slice to be
> frozen.
>
> [westgold.com]
>
>

Dawn that is practically the same recipe that I made. George is a happy muncher each evening
August 29, 2021 02:08AM
TPANDAV, I remember a similar slice as a kid - we called it Fudge Cake too - I used to love it in my lunchbox. I have just checked the recipe in my late mother's recipe book - ours didn't have malt biscuits, only wine biscuits, but it had raisins and walnuts.

Ah the memories...

Regards,

Barbara Anne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.