Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

What do you cook in your air fryer?

Posted by alabaster 
What do you cook in your air fryer?
September 11, 2021 08:26AM
I’ve done a quick search and I’m surprised there is no thread on the forum about air fryers. I’ve joined the masses and ordered one as a bit of a spontaneous lockdown purchase.

For those of you that have one, what do you cook in yours? Any surprises recipes or successes for you?

Thanks in advance while I await the courier…
Re: What do you cook in your air fryer?
September 12, 2021 12:08AM
Our K Mart model has a rotisserie feature, with both the rotisserie stick and a basket. In the basket have done fries and dry roasted nuts. Rotisserie Chicken comes up great. I would never buy any of these again as they are so good.

Chicken - have done Tegel Take Outs and they come up excellent. Steak has actually been nice and medium rare.

I haven't any recipes as such. I love the airfryer from the sense that it is the oven with a super blast fan feature, so for smaller dishes it is preferable to use rather than heating up the large oven. And you are not wasting time pre heating. I do have a combined microwave/convection oven, but it takes a long time to reach convection temperatures, whereas the airfryer is instantly ready to go. Combine this with the rotisserie feature of this oven - and I am sold
September 12, 2021 01:29AM
Irene, do you know if you can get the KMart chip basket by itself as an optional extra? I have a Breville bench-top oven with the rotisserie function and fittings but it doesn't come with a chip basket, which I should imagine would do the trick if I use it with the grill feature. Is yours the 11ltr square model rather than the round models that have a pull-out basket and no rotary chip basket? I might put my name down for one for when they're back in stock!
September 12, 2021 04:22AM
I have attached 3 photos. Firstly Lorna, a screenshot of the accessories when I googled for our airfryer, which shows both the basket and rotisserie rod.

The other 2 photos are of stuffed mushrooms I have just made in the airfryer. They are perfection!
Attachments:
open | download - Airfryer Accessories.jpg (90.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_4594.jpg (96 KB)
open | download - IMG_4596.jpg (219.8 KB)
September 12, 2021 07:00AM
Alabaster, here are the links from previous airfryer discussions:

[forum.foodlovers.co.nz]

[forum.foodlovers.co.nz]

[forum.foodlovers.co.nz]

Irene, your stuffed mushrooms look yummy! I did some last week but they didn't look as full of stuffing as yours!: First I gently removed the stem and chopped it finely. I sprinkled soy sauce over each Portabello mushroom gill, then sprinkled a layer of Panko crumbs and the chopped mushroom stems, then dotted bacon pieces chopped small over the top and finished off with a thin slice of melty cheese. Cooked at 200o for as long as it took. Also love stuffed baked kumara (for me) and potato (for him)! Whole stuffed Capsicum is also great.
Regards,
Dawn.
September 12, 2021 07:35AM
Irene - do you have the large square model? I've been considering an air fryer for a while and keep hearing people saying Kmart models are surprisingly good value. I'd need large capacity though, with two vultures still at home, and the round ones looked kind of pokey in terms of volume, but wasn't sure if they cooked as well as the round. Your thoughts?
September 12, 2021 10:40PM
Thanks Dawn. My Mushrooms are very similar to yours, however I give them a boost with Mayonnaise. I chop the stems finely into a bowl, add panko, mayonnaise, black pepper and garlic flakes. Stuff the mushrooms with that and then top with cheese sprinkled with smoked paprika. The Airfryer won once again and will not do these on the BBQ anymore as they were much, much nicer in the airfryer.

Jenna - with two strapping lads make that men as well as hubby. I think all airfryer capacities would be very small to cook one large family meal in, whether it be the round or square ones. In this one's favour there are 3 racks, but I prefer to cook with only the 2 if necessary for more even cooking. And for the chips to circulate freely in the basket we use 2 large and 1 medium to small potato. I was told however that there is nothing to stop you cooking 2 lots as it does cook fast. Looking at the specs in the manual the rotisserie shaft will only take up to 1kg and the individual racks 1.5kg. I haven't really delved into the insides of round models but they don't appear much bigger.

Ha! Just had a thought with a big family and if you had a decent size kitchen with adequate bench space and storage - buy two. At $139 each it still works out cheaper than some of these $400 to $500 models smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2021 10:42PM by Irene Field.
September 13, 2021 06:55AM
It's only my husband and I at home and I bought a new mini oven that has an airfryer included. I find the mini oven is good for just the 2 of us. As I was unsure what to cook I bought an recipe bk from kmart called 'airfryer' for $5 and that got me started. My friend has actually cooked scones in the airfryer.
September 13, 2021 09:57AM
Jenna, I have a Kmart round air fryer - I bought it to replace the smaller Philips one I'd got from Flybuys as the capacity of that was ridiculously small. The basket of the Kmart one (square with rounded corners) is 22 x 24 cm if you can imagine how much food you could stuff in thatsmiling smiley. It was $70 or $80 and cooks just as well as the Philips.
September 14, 2021 11:03AM
Thanks and thanks especially for linking old threads - I’m not sure why I couldn’t find those.
Plenty of easy dinners to look forward to. In an ordering error, it sounds like it’s being shipped from
Aus so waiting a while for it to arrive…!
September 15, 2021 05:34AM
Irene, you're probably quite correct in that any will be too small. And it would probably tempt me to make more of things that I possible shouldn't. And we have a very small house with an equally small kitchen, so definitely no room for 2. Thinking about it, I probably don't even have room to store the thing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.