Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Soft textured nibble or starter

Posted by Griz 
Soft textured nibble or starter
September 17, 2021 07:23PM
I'm having people over for dinner tonight, but one of my guests has had emergency oral surgery and is currently rocking stitches in her gum. I'm wanting to find a starter/nibble that she can eat so she doesn't feel left out, our main is pumpkin risotto with sage and browned butter, and desert is lemon fritters with pomegranate molasses and ice cream. Any ideas?
Re: Soft textured nibble or starter
September 17, 2021 11:18PM
Instinctively I was going to say arancini but you are serving risotto.
I hadn't thought until now about the texture of nibbles and most are crunchy.
How about blinis (freezer section in supermarket) topped with smoked salmon/creme fraiche. They are always popular and easy.
Bocconcini with cherry tomato and basil on little skewers.
Still thinking...
September 17, 2021 11:39PM
If you have access to fresh herbs, what about a Persian Kuku, which is similar to a frittata but with a huge proportion of finely chopped herbs. I serve it as an appetiser cut into small squares, sometimes with a spoonful of thick plain yoghurt on top. Let me know if you would like a recipe.

Or without herbs, a Spanish tortilla is nice, also cut into small squares. You will need very good olive oil and plenty of seasoning.
J1
September 17, 2021 11:57PM
Curried eggs spring to mind but they're retro and don't tie in with your other dishes.

[www.browniebites.net]

[lilluna.com] done smaller with a dollop of something
September 18, 2021 03:14AM
First to my mind is soup.
September 18, 2021 04:03AM
What about old fashioned Curry Eggs?
September 18, 2021 07:34AM
I would do blinis which can have many soft toppings. Otherwise mini croquettes, you can have smoked fish ones,
September 19, 2021 09:23AM
I ended up doing mini corn and coriander fritters with an avocado salsa, so similar to the blinis idea. My guest ate well, and took the leftover risotto to make into risotto cakes for her dinner tonight to have with some smoked salmon. I did also consider frittata/tortilla, and I'd love a good recipe for kuku please TPANDAV! Ooooh and I do love a nice devilled egg, might make some for lunches this week!
September 20, 2021 01:51AM
Here's a basic recipe for a herb kuku. I often use fresh mint and/or dill instead of the coriander.

Persian Herb Kuku

40g butter
2 large lettuce leaves, finely chopped
6 spring onions, finely chopped
2 med. leeks, finely chopped
6 tab parsley, finely chopped
3 tab coriander, finely chopped
3 tab spinach, finely chopped
6 eggs
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp dried dill
1 & 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
3 tab walnuts, chopped
2 tab raisins or sultanas

Melt half of butter in a large frying pan, add lettuce, spring onions, leeks, parsley, coriander and spinach, fry gently 5 minutes stirring often.

Meanwhile break eggs into large bowl and add remaining ingredients apart from butter, combine well but do not whisk (you don't want bubbles).

Use the remaining butter to grease the bottom and sides of a large casserole dish or cake tin (not loose bottomed), heat oven to 180C.

Combine fried ingredients with egg mixture, pour into greased dish, bake about 25 minutes or until set and very lightly golden.

Serve either as an appetiser cool and cut into small squares, or as a part of a meal of mezes warm and cut into wedges.

Thick plain yoghurt is a nice accompaniment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.