Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

white onions

Posted by gran 
white onions
May 19, 2022 01:32AM
I watched a video where the cook used white onions. I just thought they were our usual brown skinned onions but no, the skin is white, looks like a large garlic clove. Apparently they are sweeter than a brown skinned onion and good in salads.

I have not ever seen these in the places I get my vegetables. Do we grow them here in NZ?

I have just searched Kings Seeds site and they have them so will order some and plant them in spring.

cheers Gran

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2022 01:37AM by gran.
Re: white onions
May 19, 2022 03:23AM
Hi Gran,

There was a discussion about this on a Foodlover's thread in 2014. Even then white onions were hard to come by but were available from time to time at Countdown and NW. Apparently they are quite strong - the person looking for them at the time wanted them to make a KFC bean salad and she said that other onions just wouldn't work the same.

I'm not sure why they aren't available here - it seems even back then they were imported from the US, not grown here, even though, as you say, the seed is available at Kings. There's got to be a reason - maybe someone knows.

Good luck growing your own.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
May 19, 2022 03:27AM
Gran, somewhere in the back of my mind I remember a discussion on white onions in here before. I have looked and can't find it, someone with a better memory than mine may remember.

At one time I did purchase a couple of white onions from a stand alone and excellent fruit and vegetable store in Tauranga.

I hope you have success with your purchase from Kings Seeds
May 19, 2022 04:23AM
I just googled white onions and it says that they are sweeter and milder than our regular brown onions and suitable for eating raw as an addition to sandwiches and salads. I have seen them at NW but rarely. I think they are more widely used in American cooking. Jenna might be familiar with them.
May 19, 2022 04:35AM
Marnie, I thought of that too, but we were both possibly thinking of the discussion about pearl onions as used in coq au vin.

A search for white onions on the forum didn't bring up anything.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
May 19, 2022 04:53AM
Thanks for that, Barbara Anne. It's nice to know that I am not totally losing my mindsmiling smiley
May 19, 2022 11:29PM
networkn started a thread in May 2021 and there were three posts in it. It's easy to find if you use the Search function at the top of every thread. NOT the one in the big green stripe, but the search bar just below that with Advanced written underneath. Once again, DON'T click on search - click on Advanced.
In the window that opens, in the Search Messages box type whatever you're looking for, i.e.White Onions. In the next box along, click the down arrow and select All Words if it isn't already showing.
Leave the Search Authors box empty and select either Search All Forums or Foodlovers Foodtalk.
In the Options box select Show Results as Messages and in the final box, click on the down arrow and click on All Dates. The results, if any, will pop up after the search is complete.

Here is the link to the White Onions Thread
[forum.foodlovers.co.nz]
May 20, 2022 01:41AM
Oops! Sorry Lorna, I reported your post as spam in error.
May 20, 2022 10:38PM
Doesn't appear to have done any harm, TPANDAV, I'm still here and able to use all my allowed facilities. Just deleted another imposter poster!
May 21, 2022 10:49AM
Red onions are milder and sweeter too. Swap for them?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.