Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Slow Cooker meat recipes

Posted by sumar 
Slow Cooker meat recipes
April 12, 2023 03:17AM
Having just bought a new Slow cooker, I am looking for some recipes. Not much in the book that came with the cooker.
Re: Slow Cooker meat recipes
April 12, 2023 07:31PM
Hi Sumar - lamb shanks are really nice in the slow cooker. I use Chelsea Winters recipe - Utterly Glorious Lamb Shanks.

Corned beef is another cut of meat often cooked in a slow cooker - I personally don't like the resulting mushy texture but try it and see what you think.

Any casserole recipe can be used in a slow cooker, just reduce the liquid.

Happy slow cooking!

Regards,

Barbara Anne
April 12, 2023 11:04PM
Google can be a big help and will give lots of ideas. I prefer to add NZ to my recipe searches and go from there.The British and Australian ones are good too.

"Tin Eats" which has become a favourite of mine.

I have a couple of recipe books that I often refresh my mind with. One is from Alison Holst.
As with Barbara Anne, lamb shanks are a favourite. I haven't tried the Chelsea Winter recipe but I will look out for it. I usually make mine with red wine and a can of pasta tomato sauce, plus anything else I have, such as mushrooms and/or prunes. A note....I will often use the same method using lamb shoulder chops in place of the shanks.
Silverside/corned beef, too.
I sometimes cook a whole chicken, size 6 with garlic butter and honey inserted just below the skin and a lemon placed strategically in the opening at the bottom...I wasn't sure how to word that in a polite manner smiling smiley. No water added.
Stews and casseroles, I just use my usual recipes and as Barbara Anne says, reduce the liquid.
I agree that must new appliances only have a few recipes.
J1
April 13, 2023 12:29AM
Slow Cooker Beef Curry
750g stewing steak (e.g. chuck, blade), cut into 3cm cubes
3 tbspns each: plain flour, sugar
1 tspn salt & ¼ tspn ground pepper
2 tspns each: ground turmeric, curry powder
½ tspn each: mustard powder, ground ginger, mixed spice
3 tbspns each: white vinegar, orange juice
2 tbspns tomato paste
1 tspn Worcestershire sauce
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon

Combine dry ingredients in the slow cooker and toss meat in it to coat evenly. Add remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 5 hours until the meat is tender.
April 13, 2023 02:17AM
That looks nice and super easy J1. It also reminds me of the question - whether or not neat should be browned before putting in a slow cooker - I notice you don't in this recipe.. Some say definitely brown first as it adds flavour, others say it doesn't matter. Let's face it if you have to brown the meat and saute the onions first, you might as well put the casserole in the regular oven.

What do others think?

Regards,

Barbara Anne
April 13, 2023 11:05AM
I think browning of meat depends on the style of dish you are making. The default is heavy browning, when the Maillard reaction develops a meaty, umami flavour, but there are many meat dishes where a gentler flavour is better. An example is Lancashire Hotpot, which doesn't usually involve browning of the lamb and is sweet and delicious. Another example is Hainan Chicken Rice, where the chicken is very gently poached. Another that has just come to mind is steak and kidney pudding, where the beef, kidney and onions are encased in the suet pastry then steamed, with incredibly flavourful results.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.