Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Choice at the supermarket

Posted by J1 
J1
Choice at the supermarket
April 24, 2023 01:20AM
Our local Pak'nSave has gradually reduced choice in some lines. They stock Wattie's Hawke's Bay grown canned tomatoes in the savoury versions (Mexican, Indian, Italian, etc) yet won't/don't stock the "chopped in juice", "chopped in puree". Brunswick sardines have disappeared. Gregg's lovely environmentally packed spices have been moved to the less ideal top shelves (and I see New World have stopped stocking them entirely, so this is probably the ultimate plan for Pak'nSave as well). They no longer stock Ecostore products, nor Harraway rolled oats. Yet they are prepared to devote entire walls of shelving to every sugar drink under the sun and biscuits.
Re: Choice at the supermarket
April 24, 2023 01:39AM
I have noticed this with our local P n S as well. The choice of products is dwindling, and it isn't due to shortages as such, as this has happened for a long time. Paper towels - only Tuffy and Budget brands, Pasta - I couldn't even buy lasagne or even plain spaghetti. Coffee - we like Nescafe number 9 for when we occasionally drink instant, now no longer on the shelf. And I notice the long wall of specials on entry usually consists of 3/4 of junk food and drinks.

I was completing surveys and mentioned this numerous times. I note they continually drop me off their mailing list, and I am sure that isn't coincidental, as I wonder if the local stores have access to this mailing list? I actually kept mentioning that their lack of variety is driving me into the welcome arms of an Australian competitor, which it is.

We have another P n S further away and shopping there, they do seem to have a larger variety of products on offer on their shelves. So I wonder if it is the store owner who is responsible for this?
April 24, 2023 05:43AM
New World is our closest supermarket and I am noticing more and more a lack of certain brands and items that I would buy not so long ago. With the canned and frozen vegetables, I assumed they are stocking what they can get to take place of what isn't available in NZ.

Sometimes I think it is the product, such as chefade, which seems to have disappeared. It's not something I buy often so it is only when I go to replace something that I realise. The staff member did suggest Kremelta but I thought that was more for sweet things such as White Christmas.
J1
April 24, 2023 06:27AM
Yes, exactly, Irene, same experience here, and also the "long wall of specials on entry usually consists of 3/4 of junk food and drinks". Lately our local Pak'nSave has placed, so it's the first thing you walk past as you enter the store, some junk food item from the bakery - today it's iced doughnuts.

I, too, for about two recent years, completed their surveys and, just like you, often mentioned the choices becoming so much more limited. It didn't make any difference and when another item I regularly buy was deleted by them, I stopped completing the surveys out of disgust and disappointment. I think the local stores definitely get given the survey results as a couple of things I mentioned that weren't related to food were fixed (eventually... or could have just been coincidence). Like you, I also told them in the surveys that I was having to go to Countdown to get what I could no longer buy at Pak'nSave,

And, again, I think you are right in that part of the problem at least could be the store owner as the choice has gradually got worse and worse since a different store owner took over here a few years back. But, having said that, it could be a Foodstuffs Ltd directive as our Pak'nSave stopped stocking Wattie's Peas some time ago and I have to go to Countdown to buy them. Today, because I was in New World getting something else I can't get at Pak'nSave, I went to get Wattie's Peas and New World isn't stocking them either! So to Countdown for them as usual anyway.... I find it absurd that I can only get New Zealand Wattie's peas from an Australian supermarket.
April 24, 2023 08:37PM
Interesting to read the above, we have a very small NW in Havelock North, new one being built as I write, shall wait and see if variety increases. It is my understanding they are guided (told) by HQ, as Foodstuffs normally has an equity share in the store, appears to be more variety when owner has 100% equity. Since Covid my eating habits have gone to very plain and love my quick and easy airfryer.
April 25, 2023 12:51AM
Is this just not the push to buy the supermarket browns, essentials, pams etc. Limit your supermarket shopping to the absolute necessary and support the small businesses.
April 25, 2023 06:40AM
It is interesting, I do think individual owners must be able to decide a lot of what they stock. I'm in Auckland and shop both on the Northshore and to a lesser extent in West Auckland. There is a massive difference between the PaknSaves Albany has changed owners and I won't be shopping there again its just totally different and I don't like the changes, I prefer Wairau and if I'm further north Silverdale is really good. Both Westgate and Lincoln Road are good but less brand selection than the opposition. There's less difference between the New Worlds but I prefer Kumeu to Hobsonville (partly because of the West Auckland Licensing Trust means no Beer or Wine) but Kumeu has better meat and fish and better bakery I think. I end up shopping for certain things in different supermarkets which is annoying. I shop at Countdown every few weeks because my cat (fussy British Shorthair) only likes their grass feed mince (5% fat), I have a Costco card and I'm pretty close to that as well but I haven't been yet. I also shop at Gilmores for some things and during Covid got a few orders from Bid Foods too. They all have their pros and cons. I buy most of my veges from the local fruit shop , I'd like to support the local butcher but they're pretty expensive so I shop around for meat.
J1
April 26, 2023 12:24AM
I was surprised to read a couple of days ago that Gilmours is owned by Foodstuffs (owner of New World, Pak'nSave, etc):
"With sister company Trents, Gilmours is the largest food and beverage wholesaler in New Zealand owned by Foodstuffs." (quote from their Facebook page)
April 28, 2023 03:39AM
I have noticed this too for some time but the one that really gets me is toilet paper I am sick of buying the 3 ply that is so thin, need I say any more. I have tried a variety of brands to no avail.
J1
April 28, 2023 04:55AM
Lyn V, I assume you've tried Paseo 3ply. I have been buying it for a very long time and am happy with it as a 3ply. But I certainly think the thickness of a "ply" has got much thinner over the years. 2-ply paper used to be perfectly fine in thickness.
April 28, 2023 05:09AM
Yes, agree J1 - Paseo 3 ply is the one I buy and find it perfectly acceptable. I like the long rolls.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
April 28, 2023 08:27AM
Thanks for that I will try Paseo .
J1
April 28, 2023 10:48AM
Countdown have a 24 pack of Paseo toilet rolls (standard size, not long ones) for $17 this week, which is about the best price you can get Paseo for. Makes it 70c per roll. Grab it while you can! I was in there looking for all the things I can't buy at Pak'nSave this week and wandered past this huge stack of Paseo 24-pack on the floor, with the sign saying $17 special, and bought some, even though I already had an 18-pack at home (best deal at normal price). So if anyone saw my cupboard right now, they'd label me as one of those toilet paper hoarders.....

Pak'nSave do have the 12 pack for special price $8.59 this week though, which works out at 71c per roll so you could get that, just in case you find you don't like it, as it would be better to have 12 rolls to reluctantly use up, rather than 24!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.