Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Butter

Posted by Dawn 
Butter
November 06, 2023 06:01AM
Gosh, Countdown's butter is $4.39 on special this week - cheapest I've seen it locally! Not my usual shopping supermarket, but may have to pay a visit! I may have had my head in the sand too - as someone will probably tell me they have bought it cheaper elsewhere!winking smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
Re: Butter
November 06, 2023 06:17AM
That is a great price Dawn, it is Countdown brand never tried that one but maybe ok for baking but certainly worth a try, I’m off there this week too.
November 08, 2023 07:05AM
I think I've asked the question here quite recently before but how can you tell what sort of quality the butter we are buying comparing our brands. Why is countdown butter half the price of Mainland and why is Lewis Road and Westgold even more expensive. All NZ butter would come from similar grass feed herds I imagine. I can see that cream from herds that are all Jersey would produce the highest quality but is the only way to tell by trying them all and personal preference. Also given butter is only two ingredients cream, and salt or just cream I don't understand how the fat content varies to any great extent. In NZ do all the brands have their own cream suppliers or do they get it from Fontera. If they don't have their own special supply of Jersey milk then they're probably much of a much-ness in quality. Are we paying for the brand or the taste. Butter contains between 18 - 20% water. In checking the label of Lewis Creamery butter their total fat content is 80.8 whereas Rolling Meadow is 81.4, why the huge price difference. If one is so superior, in what way and what is the process that changes the same ingredients into a product worth twice the price?
November 08, 2023 10:16AM
Here's a link to the discussion that ensued the last time you raised this question. [forum.foodlovers.co.nz]

All I can add is that if you are interested in the flavour differences it would be useful to do a comparative taste testing - get together some samples of all of the butters you are interested in, make sure they are all at the same temperature, then try a little piece of each, one at a time, thinking carefully about how each one tastes. Same as a cheese or wine or tea tasting. Make notes so you remember, then have a think about which ones you liked best.
You can cleanse your palate with a piece of apple or bread in between each piece of butter.,

I'm sure we would all be interested in your results.

My order of butter merit, based only on what I've had the opportunity to taste, is:

1. French artisan cultured butter, salted (hard to find in Aotearoa and very expensive)
2. Italian everyday unsalted butter (ivory coloured and fresh tasting)
3. Lewis Road cultured salted butter
4. French everyday Normandy butter, salted
5. La Normande salted butter, sold widely in Aotearoa
6. Golden Churn NZ canned butter
7. Kerrygold salted butter
8. Westgold salted butter
9. Mainland salted butter
10. Lurpak salted butter

What are everyone else's favourites?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2023 10:18AM by TPANDAV.
November 08, 2023 11:03AM
Now we're talking. Lets give it a try. Mind you it's going to be in the realms of wine cost wise in the endsmiling smiley
I haven't even heard of half of these, but... I am interested and I would love to know so I might have a Butter Party, shame I only have about 2 friends I could invite to be honest but I 'll see which of my offspring I can get interested and we shall seesmiling bouncing smiley PS lovely to see you are still here TPANDAV.
November 08, 2023 10:30PM
How interesting! Like most of you I buy on price these days. I definitely prefer foil wrapped but rarely see it on special. Our butter consumption has reduced in recent years for health reasons mostly. My partner being one of those who enjoys a little toast with his butter and marmalade. I buy Lewis Road on high days and holidays and they seldom occur at our age. My wicked sister buys only Lewis Road, green pack with salt crystals, and always has several packs falling out of her fridge! I don't think I've seen canned butter. I will follow this thread with interest!
P.S. Where do you live, Danube? I would come and bring a couple of packs of butter!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2023 10:32PM by Stephanie39.
November 08, 2023 10:35PM
I have no problems with cheaper butters. Am interested in how you source your canned Golden Churn Butter TPANDAV as I was under the impression that it could only be purchased in Duty Free on departure from NZ?

I thought I would investigate AI thoughts on this and received the below response:

In New Zealand, as in many other countries, there can be differences between supermarket brand butters and craft or artisanal butters. These differences typically involve factors such as production methods, ingredient quality, taste, and price.

Production Methods: Supermarket brand butters are often mass-produced using automated processes and may prioritize efficiency and consistency. Craft or artisanal butters, on the other hand, are typically made in smaller batches, often by hand, and may employ traditional or specialized techniques. This can lead to variations in texture and flavour.

Ingredient Quality: Craft butters often emphasize the use of high-quality ingredients. They may use locally sourced cream or butterfat, which can result in a richer and more distinct flavour. Supermarket brand butters may use a more standardized and cost-effective approach, which can lead to a more uniform but potentially less distinctive taste.

Flavour and Texture: Craft butters may offer a wider range of flavours and textures, as they may incorporate additional ingredients such as herbs, spices, or different types of cream. Supermarket brand butters typically have a more consistent taste and texture across their products.

Price: Craft butters are often considered premium products and may be priced higher than mass-produced supermarket brands. This higher price reflects the use of quality ingredients and the artisanal nature of production.

Brand Reputation: Craft butter producers may have a strong focus on brand identity, sustainability, and ethical practices. Supermarket brands, while striving for quality, may not have the same level of personal connection and reputation within the local community.

Ultimately, the choice between supermarket brand butter and craft butter comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer the convenience and cost of supermarket brands, while others appreciate the unique flavours and higher quality ingredients associated with craft butters. It's worth trying both to determine which suits your taste and budget best.
November 08, 2023 11:47PM
I'm another who buys only by price of butter - I don't worry about what the butter wrapper says as long as it says 500g and not 400g!

An interesting read comes from the Ensemble Magazine where six fearless taste-testers tasted butters bought solely from the local Countdown (I don't know which Countdown). First off each taste-tester gives their ruminations on butter, then further down the article are the scores starting with the last place score down to the 1st place which came out at Tararua Butter. Given we all have different preferences be it the taste, the colour, the texture or the price, it makes for interesting kind of serious but light-hearted reading of the taste-testers' opinions.

[www.ensemblemagazine.co.nz]

I have to say, one or two of the butter brands I've never heard of and don't see because I only look at butter specials.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2023 11:48PM by Dawn.
November 09, 2023 12:12AM
Thanks Dawn for the tasting notes - fascinating how people's opinions vary. I noted that one taster reported "A gentle pale inside with that yellow ring on the outer surface. 10/12". The yellow ring around the outside would have been oxidation from inadequate packaging!

Irene - I used to work in downtown Auckland and there was a deli there that sold Golden Churn canned butter. It was (then) quite cheap and I bought a can out of curiosity. To my surprise it was top quality cultured butter so I bought it whenever it was in stock. It was then manufactured in Putaruru. I haven't seen it outside of duty free shops for a long time, although I did spot it in a Kuala Lumpur supermarket about 10 years ago.

Danube - thank you for the kind words. If you are looking for imported butters it would be worth trying Vetro or Farro if you have a handy branch of either. Gault's Deli used to sell Italian unsalted butter but I haven't been there for a while and I think they've curtailed their range.
November 09, 2023 12:15AM
Here's Golden Churn at Moore Wilsons. Not cheap any more!

[moorewilsons.co.nz]
November 09, 2023 01:50AM
Excellent article Dawn! How interesting. I, too, am both price and size driven when it comes to butter
November 09, 2023 02:22AM
For baking and cooking I buy on price and make sure it’s a 500g block. For special days where we might enjoy baguette and cheesesI buy Lewis Road butter with sea salt. I have seen Kerry Gold just once where I live but every so often spotted Butter from Normandy which I have tried. I prefer Lewis Road because it’s NZ made and good quality.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.