Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Best coffee in NZ

Posted by Sandy 
Best coffee in NZ
June 28, 2004 11:51PM
I love coffee and I was interested to know what's the best coffee in New Zealand & where to buy it? Thanks, the caffiend fiend!

Re: Best coffee in NZ
June 29, 2004 02:36AM
Hey Sandy,
Depends on what type of coffee you are after. If you want just a freeze dried coffee try Maconna freeze dried but are you wanting an espresso coffee?
Kindest Regards
Lisa (Coffee addict!!!)

June 29, 2004 04:14AM
Allpress is very high quality and is one of my preferred cafe and home cofees.
June 29, 2004 04:28AM
we buy karajoz - great flavour, not too bitter AND they use the swiss water method to decaffeinate
June 29, 2004 05:04AM
Id go with Allpress, quite amazing quality. Lavaza is also excellent but a bit stronger than a lot of NZ palates are used to.
June 29, 2004 05:11AM
Natural Decaf: All Taste No Buzz
24/06/2004 01:30 PM - Patricia Reaney - Reuters
Help could soon be on the way for coffee lovers who crave the rich aroma and taste but can't handle the caffeine.

Brazilian scientists have discovered a naturally decaffeinated coffee plant that won't keep them awake at night.

"We have found the first decaffeinated Coffea arabica," Paulo Mazzafera, of the Universidade Estadual de Campinas in Brazil, said in an interview.

Decaffeinated coffee accounts for about 10 percent of world consumption but key flavors are sacrificed when the caffeine is removed.

Coffea arabica is the most cultivated and consumed coffee and represents about 70 percent of the world's coffee production. Scientists had tried to cross arabica with wild species of caffeine-free plants from Madagascar but it produced an inferior drink, according to Mazzafera, who reported the research in the science journal Nature on Wednesday.

The decaf arabica plant, which is from Ethiopia, has not been grown commercially so he and his colleagues do not know how productive it will be.

But they plan to test productivity with a view to developing a crop and will also try to transfer its low caffeine trait by crossing it with highly productive commercial arabica varieties.

"We believe that by using a conventional breeding approach this trait could be successfully transferred," he said.

Levels of caffeine depend on the type of coffee and how it is brewed. Robusta coffees have about twice as much caffeine as arabicas.

Last year Japanese scientists announced that they had produced genetically modified coffee plants that have less caffeine than normal plants but Mazzafera said they are not arabica.

If the decaffeinated arabica is commercially productive, naturally decaffeinated coffee could be on the market in five or six years. If it isn't, coffee from a cross with other arabicas could take up to 15 years.

Hope you don't mind that I posted this which was on the Xtra site.

Linda.
June 29, 2004 05:21AM
We've recently changed from Illy Espresso to Hawthorne's (Hawke's Bay) Huge saving and excellent coffee - he grinds it to suit our La Pavoni machine, we're very pleased.
Stephanie
Della
June 29, 2004 06:32AM
My favourite is Caffe L'Affare from Wellington. Used to only be able to get it in Wellington but I think they distribute to quite a few places now.
June 29, 2004 06:55AM
We love Atomic nice rich flavour, also available daca. The atomic cafe in Ponsonby is a great place to visit
June 29, 2004 06:56AM
That dacaf is meant to be decaffienated.
June 29, 2004 07:42AM
We can get Cafe L'Affare at Woolworths in New Plymouth.We love Atomic when we can get hold of it.Going to Auckland next week so will get a supply.smiling smiley
June 29, 2004 11:42AM
we like the no 2 blend from karajoz and you can get it direct from karajoz so fresh
June 30, 2004 01:43AM
Our all time favourite is Supreme Coffee from Wellington. Have moved to Auckland from Welly and cant find anything as good. We order it online and its here the next day. Go the freshness!! We have found it at a couple of cafes in Auckland but are hoping more cafes will pick it up as its the best coffee Ive ever tasted.

June 30, 2004 01:58AM
Oops should have given you the email address www.coffeesupreme.co.nz
Id recommend the supreme blend but depending on what you like there are others, we have a grinder but you can get it ground. their website is really straightforward and we get it the next day.

June 30, 2004 02:31AM
As I read this I'm currently drinking coffee made from beans I roasted in a popcorn maker :} It is interesting roasting your own amazing flavour difference - very fresh. I get my beans from <www.urbancoffee.co.nz>

Vicki
June 30, 2004 06:57AM
I love Fusion coffee from Tauranga - mmmmmmmmmmmm......especially their Maestro blend!!
June 30, 2004 07:32AM
How do you roast coffee beans in a popcorn maker? Lorraine
June 30, 2004 09:02AM
i agree vicki ,i have had a go in the pop corn maker ,very easy ,it took about 8 mins to get to the colour i wanted ,,i certainly would recommend it to anyone who doesnt access to fresh beans as the coffee was great
Karajoz!!
I do a bit of barista-ing, and Karajoz has an awesome all round flavour. Their #1 blend is made of 7 different sorts of beans, individually roasted to opt. for each bean, then blended. Full of flavour.
Swiss water method used for Decaf.
South American beans used for their organic, and this is not as bitter as the PNG or Timor coffee.
Karajoz has Agriquality Cert on their plant & product in their organic brand, & has separate machinery for the organic process.
You can buy Direct, from different Cafes around the country, or from me, as I am an agent for them If you want some samples let me know, or I can put you in touch with some of my retailers, hopefully in your area.
Cheers,
Dianne
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.