Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Pickled Choko

Posted by Carolyn 
Pickled Choko
June 08, 2003 01:20PM
Has anyone a recipe for pickled choko. I would like one that has sliced choko if possible.
Re: Pickled Choko
June 10, 2003 01:55AM
The following are two recipes for pickled chokos - the first recipe I have tasted when an American friend brought a jar with her to NZ. The chokos were sliced about 6 mm thick and tasted sort of sweet/sour but quite on the "bitey"side. The Southern Americans eat them all the time added to the side of a serving of food and I could imagine them to be nice with pasta or saucey type dishes which would neutralize the tartness of the choko flesh. (My American friend had never heard of serving pickles with cheese and crackers).

The only thing with this recipe is that there is no actual cooking of the choko and that concerns me as I thought this was necessary to avoid the possiblity of food becoming contaminated through improper processing.. Maybe someone can give comments on this and whether they think the method is safe?

I therefore have not made the 1st recipe - but I do intend making the 2nd recipe because of the processing in a boiling water bath and the addition of ground cloves sounds interesting!

1st Recipe: (American measurements)

PICKLED CHOKOS (MIRLITON)

6 large chokos
1 quart qpple cider vinegar
1 and 1/3 cups suger
3 teaspoons salt
2 medium red peppers
4 toes garlic

Slice mirlitons lengthwise and soak in ice water oernight. Sterilize jars. Put 1 toe garlick and 1/2 of a red pepper in each jar. Add cold mirlitons (standing or vertical) in jar. Fill with boiling vinegar and sugar (dissolved in vinegar) and seal hot. Leg set for 2 to 3 weeks. Makes 4 pints.

2nd Recipe (which I intend making):

CHOKO (MIRLITON) PICKLES

3 medium chokos
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
4 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
4 medium onions
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground tumeric

Peel and slice chokos and onions. Sprinkle with salt, let stand 2 hours. Drain and wash. Combine choko mixture with remaining ingredients, bring to boil but do not allow mixture to boil. Pack into hot jars, seal and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Anyway have fun pickling your chokos as I am going to do!!
Re: Pickled Choko
June 10, 2003 02:42AM
Oops - sorry about the mistakes above - hit and missed a wrong button or two as well - surprising what you don't notice the first time you read over what you've written!!!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.