Coffee Essence Substitute
March 24, 2005 04:50AM
Hi,

I recently made some Coffee flavoured muffins but didn't have any essence so I used some instant coffee dissolved in hot water. It didn't seem to be strong enough as you couldn't really taste the coffee.
Do you need to use more coffee than you would essence?
Thanks
Carla
Raewyn G
Re: Coffee Essence Substitute
March 24, 2005 09:21AM
If it was me Carla, I would use 2 tsp instant coffee to a small amount of water. Don't have it real runny if you get what I mean, as essence is generally a concentrated flavour.
Cheers,
Raewyn G
March 24, 2005 02:28PM
Hi Raewyn,

Thanks for that tip, I'll try it next time.

Carla
March 25, 2005 04:00AM
Carla - I have to say personally I wouldn't substitute anything for the Coffee and Chicory essence. I make a few things with it - and once like you I didn't have any. Well - actually that's a lie - I hadn't put it on my shopping list to get another bottle and when I went to add 3tblsp to my recipe I only had 1 - but I was too far thru the recipe to detour.

I paid for my disorganisation with having to put instant coffee and hoped no one would notice. I never said a thing - but absolutely everyone who ate the baking asked me what I had done different.

That was enough to convince me there is no substitute for the handy bottle of good of fashioned Bushell's Essence. Now I always check I have enough before starting the recipe.

Regards
March 30, 2005 01:10AM
Hi Raewyn,

I don't drink coffee myself so I'm unsure what's the best flavour. I've taken your advise, I went grocery shopping yesterday and I got some coffee & chicory essence, so now I'll be prepared next time.
Thanks
Carla
Carla,
I always use a high quality freeze dried instant coffee. And it makes lovelly ckes muffins etc... Just add a touch of boiling water.
Kind Regards
Lisa
March 30, 2005 06:29AM
Carla

I agree with Lisa. That's exactly what I do & the flavour is absolutely fine.

Regards Sandy
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.