Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Burnt pot

Posted by Cath 
Burnt pot
July 22, 2003 08:01AM
Can someone please help? I let a Pentole pot boil dry (water only). I managed to rescue it, but it is now very grey on the bottom. Is there anything which I can do to restore the surface to it's original shiny look.?:-(
Re: Burnt pot
July 22, 2003 08:40AM
Hi cath, What a catrastrophy.I really can't help. But in the old days the solution was to bury the pot in the garden. Never did it myself. But I remember very well. I went to the cowshed and left a pot of babies milk on the element. It's a wonder I didn't burn the house down. The pot was never the same again. It took a lot of elbow grease to get it looking shiny a gain. Good luck, maybe someone has the solution for you.
July 22, 2003 10:11AM
What is the pot made of?If its stainless steel sometimes salt and baking soda followed by vinegar which will foam can clean it.Burying in the garden does work as long as you can remember where you put it but I do remember Dear old Aunt Daisy saying put it in the chicken run If you have something burnt on the bottom and they will peck it clean.
July 22, 2003 11:56AM
Polaris stainless steel cleaner may do it - but it will probably take many goes to come right.
Stephanie
July 23, 2003 12:40AM
If it is stainless steel I have found that water and vinegar works. Bring to the boil and then leave to cool.
Good luck

July 23, 2003 03:50AM
Hi Cath

I remember someone saying to use dishwasher powder (that goes in your dishwasher) - sprinkle some in the bottom and put some water in and boil for about 10 minutes and then let cool. That would work for stainless steel - not sure if it would make the pot shiny or not, but I have heard it helps clean pots up if you burn things on them. Good luck.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.