Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Particularly Perplexing Parsley Problem

Posted by Rachel - Ashburton 
Particularly Perplexing Parsley Problem
January 22, 2006 01:19AM
I planted several strawberry plants in a disused (I thought) part of my vege garden. Unfortunately the strawberries are now over-run by parsley. I am slowly uncovering them, but does anyone have a recipe for using up parsley? I'd hate to let it go to waste. Thanks.
Re: Particularly Perplexing Parsley Problem
January 22, 2006 01:21AM
just freeze it Rachel, just pop it into bags and it will freeze fine. Or I have dried the parsley out, and then stored it in tins. Either works well
Hi Rachel
You can freeze parsley for when you need it later. I add tons of it to homemade hummus, tabbouli (sp) omelettes, Country Potato soup (can give you the recipe if you want - my kids love it), on anything that has melted cheese on the top etc. Can be hidden in all sorts of things like burgers (vego ones in my house though) homemade sausages (ditto), bolognaise sauce (ditto )
HTH
Robyn (PPP)
Actually Rachel I should have signed my message "PPPPPPP" (particularly perplexing parsley problem purple power princess)
January 22, 2006 02:02AM
You do realise that the poor people reading this particular post will be perplexed when pondering this preposterous personage?
ok - you win that round Rachel!!! (but did I help out with the parsley problem?)

Robyn (particularly put-out parsley-posting purple power princess!)
January 22, 2006 02:43AM
What about making Parsley Pesto? It is delicious and you can make it the same way as if you are making Basil Pesto.

How about selling bunches of it to your local fish shop? Or to a nursing home etc
January 22, 2006 02:51AM
Naaa, those poor people perusing previous, preposterous passage, perfectly presient, perplexing posthumous parsley problem, perse, probably preparing for propitious, auspicious outcome presented posthaste by pals on FL's.

well Kerry we are totally outclassed and I will henceforth be reluctant to use my nickname (Purple Power Princess) on the other forum that Rachel and I belong to it. Slinking off, feeling very inferior in my alliteration skills

Robyn
January 22, 2006 04:22AM
Oh my gosh Kerry - I'm not even going to TRY to outdo that one!

Rachel (Laughing her head off & bowing to your greatness!)
January 22, 2006 04:38AM
:-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
January 22, 2006 04:52AM
I have just found the parsley pesto threads from February & August 2004. I think I'll get out the kitchen whizz! Thanks for your help (and the giggles!).
January 22, 2006 06:43AM
Robyn, we were totally outclassed because you started us off sad smiley Alliteration skills eh? I will have to look that one up. Must be French eye rolling smiley
Kerry - I meant that Rachel and I were totally outclassed by your perspicacious ponderisms!!
January 22, 2006 09:00AM
Ah sooo...perpetually ponderous, pompous and pissed perhaps. What the fishcake...is a ponderism? Rhymes with origami.

I'm going back to school. Did you read about going to zillions of school this morning in a certain newspaper, having an effect on you in later life...Well, I went to 19 of the buggers..

B4 anyone rips me up for putting ponderous and newspaper in one sentence, I humbly oopsolopigse.

Love me and my bootles.
No no no, not asking youse all to love muy (bugger, that's my 1/19th bit of Splashish or Italish coming out) bootles...just...
Love and warm fuzzies as Lisa would say.. Biig hugs Lisa!!

Coming glass!! don't evaporate on me!!!
January 22, 2006 09:56AM
I'm laughing so hard the tears are rolling down my che... face!!!!!!!!!!!
Hmmmmm - wonder how Kerry's head was this morning. Pounding away nicely, methinks. Wonder if there is a hangover cure anywhere using parsley!!
January 23, 2006 09:38AM
Ronbin Ribobs well whoever you are,
No no no . I heck have no probs there...Not much a lot of.
Ummm yes. Oh. no. what.??oops ooo did it rite first tie]emed... yep got it now.

My head..????

Funny u shud arsk. bloody brill...yep..got too of them on top of showlders this morning. One sings the holly and the ivy and the other is reading me the gettys'syslysankylising..bug address. I don't know why for i hav evry other dype of bud in me cpt US red whyt n bue tuff. eeerps stuff.

I luv parslyei that green muck.. Think you would be brill cownsilla can oil make a appoybntmint peese. oops ????

Roby Robs...bye any charns are yu a horrible tee totalling type??? Mite haf to crox u of my list of favs you nose?
Sorrry sory... sensitive teetotalling types into orange juice pretend types such as me have been exteenct for aeons...aaaaahahahahahldfkdjfldkfjdlfk dead now..happpy? Sorry mems know u are ttttt but bewt birdy anyway.. (secret code here..)
Ha.. Yaweeee. XXX
January 23, 2006 09:40AM
PS.. No u r winding me up you old babe winking smiley
Am definitely teetotalling type - but "sensitive"??? nah - just don't like the taste, you old lush. Oops - didn't mean to say that out loud winking smiley. But you can't wipe me off your Christmas list because I'm always useful as a sober driver. Well SOMEBODY has to stay sane and sensible (or staid and stupefyingly stolid!)
And just so that this thread isn't completely off-topic - ta-daaaaaa..................

"The ancient Greeks apparently believed that if you wore a garland of parsley on your head while you were out on the razzle you wouldn't get a hangover in the morning. That seems highly unlikely, but -- like you, I imagine -- I haven't tried it. Many of the places I frequent would almost certainly refuse to serve a customer with a garland of parsley on his head, even a regular."

Kerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Roby Robs...bye any charns are yu a horrible tee
> totalling type??? Mite haf to crox u of my list of
> favs you nose?
> Sorrry sory... sensitive teetotalling types into
> orange juice pretend types such as me have been
> exteenct for
> aeons...aaaaahahahahahldfkdjfldkfjdlfk dead
> now..happpy? Sorry mems know u are ttttt but bewt
> birdy anyway.. (secret code here..)
> Ha.. Yaweeee. XXX

Or another parsley potion for partying p***heads

Bloody Mary Soup
(a little hair of the dog??)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In medieval times, the Medical School of Salerno was already recommending the hair of the dog:
Si nocturna tibi noceat potatio vini
Hoc tu mane bibas iterum, et fuerit medicina
or
If an evening of wine does you in,
More the next morning will be medicine.
This recipe should help out up to 8 people you find sleeping on your floor in the morning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/3 cup parsley leaves
3 garlic cloves
1 onion, quartered
2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and quartered
1 46-ounce can of tomato juice
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 and 1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
1 cup vodka
Garnish: 1 green pepper and 1 cucumber, both peeled, seeded, and chopped fine.
In a blender or food processor, chop the parsley, then drop in the garlic and onion. Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup of tomato juice, and the coriander. Stir into the rest of the tomato juice, with the worcestershire sauce, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. When ready to serve, stir in vodka, ladle into bowls, and garnish with green pepper and cucumber. Serve with a side dish of ice packs.
January 23, 2006 09:57PM
That sounds absolutely scrumptious but I wouldn't waste it on anyone found lying around my house next morning. Stale bread and water for them. I'd certainly serve it as a soup before a meal. Bet it's nicer than gazpacho even and one cup of vodka shared with 8 people wouldn't even give you lift off, (okay perhaps a little vrrroom vrrroooom??) so nothing too extreme there and it is such a tonic in its own right. Yum yum yum!!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.