Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Rosemary

Posted by Nellie 
Rosemary
February 08, 2006 01:26AM
Could someone enlighten me, please. Is there a difference in flavour in the various types of rosemary.
Cheers
Nellie
Re: Rosemary
February 08, 2006 01:45AM
Hi Nelli,
Do you mean the home grown, or the different types of dried? Great variation in the dried.
Cheers
February 08, 2006 02:06AM
While on the Rosemary theme can someone tell me what to do with the huge quantities that we have on our section. It was not until I saw the subject title that I thought about using it more effectively. I could dry enough to keep all of the Foodlovers happy for a year or more !!!

Could I make a kind of pesto with it?

Thankyou
February 08, 2006 02:18AM
It is home grown Lynne. I have a semi prostrate form, but after seeing other types at the nursery I was wondering if a more bushy, upright form is the one I should have for cooking.
Cheers
Nellie
February 08, 2006 03:59AM
I have just checked my Gillian Painter A herb cookbook (publ 1983) and she says "all [cultivars] have the beautiful rosemary fragrance and can be used in cooking." She has 13 pages of rosemary recipes - incl gin and rosemary punch, rosemary ice blocks, rosemary orange fizz, rosemary conserve (uses 1/2 litres rosemary sprigs!), rosemary jelly, and various stuffings, marinades, chicken recipes, cakes and desserts etc etc.
February 08, 2006 11:48AM
thanks for the karena.
cheers
Nellie
February 09, 2006 12:06AM
Hi Nellie,
I've just been out sniffing my rosemary fo you and have decided that the upright one is the most perfumed as against the prostrate and semi prostrate and indeed that's the one I prefer for cooking.
Cheers
February 09, 2006 08:29AM
Gaylene
It is supposed to be very good for keeping witches away. So I guess with large quantities your place will be witch free!

Stephanie
February 09, 2006 08:37AM
You can thread meat on the stalks & cook like shishkebabs
I have done it & quite nice.
February 09, 2006 09:53AM
Lyn V..you just took the words I was going to type right away...someone in Australia is cutting the woody stalks and marketing them for bbq kebabs TRUE..they are making a fortune selling to city people..Read this week in paper.
also rosemary in warm water lovely as hair rinse after final shampoo for brunette hair..gives shine and lovely smell
when you roast lamb make a 'bed' of leaves/stalks for lamb to lie on..imparts lovely aroma to meat [don't forget to stud meat with garlic...]
dried rosemary burnt as 'incense' gets rid of odours
I have added dried rosemary,chilli flakes garlic flakes to flaked salt to make rub for meat
dry some special garment over bush..will smell beautiful...
used for rememberance..say Anzac Day..sprigs worn in lapel..it is also given as sign of friendship....and yes was grown to scare witches away...
According to my plant lore book rosemary grows best where 'the wife is dominant'!!!
SO POWER TO YOU!!
February 09, 2006 11:39AM
Hey thanks everybody. I feel as though I have some homework to do now.

I have just read all these letters out to my husband and yes we agree that I probably am the more dominant one here but he says that some of the plants are dying . So maybe I am becoming less dominant at last!!!!

Thankyou again Janet, Lyn, Stephanie and Karena for the info. What an amazing lot of knowledgable people out there
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.