Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

can of maltexo

Posted by carolynab 
can of maltexo
April 28, 2006 10:54PM
hi guys
hoping you can help me again. I have been given a can of Maltexo and am wondering what i can do with it.
Baking etc i have no idea, but you dont say no to these things do you
any help would be great
cheers
carolyn
Re: can of maltexo
April 29, 2006 12:26AM
Hi, I am Lynley's daughter Daisy.

I have to take Maltexo, and I did not like it off the spoon, so Mum decided to put it in my porridge. I couldn't taste it. So porridge is a good thing to put it in, or, you can put it in a cake or something like muffins.smiling smiley

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
April 29, 2006 12:29AM
I have a recipe for Malt and Sultana biscuits. If you like, I will send it to you when I have looked it out.

Margaret
April 29, 2006 12:46AM
Hi Margaret
that recipe sounds good please
cheers
carolyn
April 29, 2006 01:54AM
I know Ang puts it into her bread instead of sugar.(Her breadmaker).
April 29, 2006 03:58AM
Malt and Sultana Biscuits

6 oz flour
4 oz butter
2 tbs condensed milk
1 tsp baking powder
3 oz sultanas
2 oz sugar
1 dessertspoon malt

Cream butter, sugar, malt and cond. milk. Add dry ingredients. Roll into balls, flatten with fork.
Bake in moderate oven about 10 minutes.

Watch carefully as they burn quickly.

Sorry about the old measurements, but it is a very old recipe.

Margaret
April 29, 2006 04:01AM
I use it in bread (especially fruit bread) and muesli (Alison Holst recipe). I have also sent you a pm with a different biscuit recipe.
April 29, 2006 07:34AM
Is it anything like the Virol my Mum used to give me as a child back in the UK?I loved it straight from the spoon. Thick, almost transparent, golden brown malt. Yummy, I can almost tast it now.
April 29, 2006 07:48AM
I don't know what Virol is like but it sounds similar. My brother used to have a spoonful each day to "build him up" and I used to try to persuade my Mum that I needed building up too! It is yummy, i was surprised to read that Daisy doesn't like it straight.
June 21, 2006 02:13PM
we used to have a spoonful on a regular basis when we were kids , i loved the taste ..... mind you i loved the taste of the worm tablets toowe had when we needed them lol
i cant remember when the last time i had maltexo was, and i wonder if it still tastes the same

Tessa....

"A computer and a cat are somewhat alike - they both purr, and spend a lot of the day motionless.
They also have secrets they don't share."

Bev
June 21, 2006 10:12PM
I have also used it in bread. I still love the taste of it straight from the jar.
June 23, 2006 09:05AM
Mum always had a huge jar and she would eat it by the spoon full. right up until she was very ill, she still loved it. I liked it alot as a child and occassionally as I grew up, mum used to say when i craved it it was because i lacked something that was in it. Unfortunately because mum liked it as is sooooo much i never thought of using it in ay other way.
I remember too, eating the malt or treacle for the horses that was kept in the tack room, It was much stronger tasting than maltexo........ the things we do as kids eurrgk!
So sorry I'm not much help. with porridge sounds nice though!
Warm fuzzies
lisa
June 23, 2006 10:34AM
I loved it compared to the olds Lanes Emulsion....now, did any other poor sole have that one....ewwwwwwww!!! Thankfully it didn't put "hairs on my chest" as it deserved to as it was SO horrid! Still got every cold that went around at the time too!!! I think you have to be "40 somethings" to know about that one!

Clare
July 09, 2006 09:21AM
No Clare 50-somethings remember Lanes Emulsion very well indeed and it's not a happy memory. We had Lanes and Maltexo every school day (somehow weekends and holidays were exempt) and I insisted in having the Lanes first so the Maltexo took away the taste. However even as an 8 year old I remember the Lanes repeating on me all morning. Hideous taste. Like you, no haies on my chest and I also caught everything going. I guess the old ducks thought they were doing their best for us smiling smiley

Jane
July 10, 2006 08:13AM
I wonder if you could use it in some way to coat the raw muesli mix before toasting it - I imagine it would make delicious muesli.
July 10, 2006 10:30AM
I also remember it but can`t think why we all needed it.??
July 10, 2006 10:54AM
its full of malt and i think it was getting those supposed extra vitamins that kids need

Tessa....

"A computer and a cat are somewhat alike - they both purr, and spend a lot of the day motionless.

July 10, 2006 12:02PM
Bronwyn - Alison Holst has a recipe for malted muesli in one of her kitchen diaries. It is nice - PM me if you would like it.
Sharon - you used to be able to get 2 kinds of maltexo. One sort had cod liver oil in it and I suspect that was the one given to people to "build them up"
July 10, 2006 12:14PM
i dont ever remember the cod liver one .... it sounds disgusting smiling smiley

Tessa....

July 10, 2006 02:21PM
Not cod liver oil it is Halibut oil and orange juice and the other is plain maltexo I liked it and tried it on my children so I could have some as well.
As kids we used to get cod liver oil on its own that was yuuuukkkkyyyyyyy and we would pretend to swallow then race ouside and spit it out or sometimes it would be out the bed room window so I never tried that on mine.
Jean
July 10, 2006 10:39PM
We were given cod-liver oil as kids, but it was in a Seven Seas gelatine capsule so it was tasteless. I loved those capsules; hold them up to the light and they were a gorgeous little golden globe. I think we also had the same ones in halibut oil. Mum probably got the one that was fashinionable at the time.
July 11, 2006 01:16AM
Thanks for the offer Penny G. As I'm the only one in the house that likes muesli (and I should only really eat the bland, boring, low fat, low sugar ones), I don't make it - more's the pity!
July 14, 2006 11:49AM
Yum, I always have malt in the fridge in case I make malt biscuits. As kids we had malt, lanes emulsion (yuk) & clements tonic, don't forget warm school milk too! Those were the days. Cheers, Chris (& I am not that old!)
March 12, 2007 10:55PM
Hi,

I am a busy mum needing energy so purchased some maltexo thinking it might make a nice drink however I find it too sweet.
I am not one to do baking so am unsure what I can put it in on a daily basis anyone out there that can help me with this.

Thanks
March 13, 2007 12:49AM
What about standing the container in warm water for a couple of minutes then pouring a spoonful or so over your favourite breakfast cereal. Or if you use a breadmaker, put some in your favourite recipe, perhaps reducing the sugar a bit to compensate.
March 13, 2007 06:53AM
Here is a malt biscuit recipe that is more-ish, dark, crisp and yummy made along the lines of Hokey Pokey biscuits. We call them Polly biscuits after an old aunt Polly. Makes approx 3 doz and they do spread out a bit. sorry about the Imperial measurements but you are all so clever on this forum it wont be problem :-)

Malt Biscuits:
heat in a pot slowly -
1/4 pound butter,
3 oz brown sugar,
1 tbs Golden Syrup,
and 1 tbs Malt
Add 1 small tsp Baking Soda dissolved in water and then 1/2 pound flour. (or enough to make a firm dough)
Make small balls press flat on greased tray and cook 180 for 10 - 12 mins

Mary
March 14, 2007 10:20AM
I used to have a malt and sultana slice recipe, it was divine, but have since found it again in recipe book, but was misprinted, and had missed out some of the ingredients.
Does anyone have a similar recipe?
Re: Lanes Emulsion
October 14, 2007 12:18PM
Does anyone know where / who made Lanes Emulsion ?
I recently found an old bottle with "The Property of Lane Latimer Ltd" around the base and wonder if the two are related ??
October 16, 2007 09:12AM
Clare i was talking about Lanes Emulsion on sunday night , I can still smell it when its talked about and feel.................... like you I guess ,,,,, yick ( and Im 61)
loved malt tho
October 22, 2007 12:11AM
My husband loves Maltexo and has it on either toast or crumpets every morning.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.