Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Food for party

Posted by Zeetra 
Food for party
May 03, 2006 07:37AM
Hi all,

Now I did have a post asking aobut catering for a party, but circumstances have changed and we arent having such a large party, due to lack of RSVP's.

So we now have changed the menu but I need help as im only stuck on food such as

pizza
sausage rolls
chicken nibbles
cocktail sausages

We dont have fancy foods etc... can anyone suggest any other food we can do, finger food etc... but so we can make enough to help fill people up.

there is
23 adults and 10-13 kids coming.
give or take a few....

Re: Food for party
May 03, 2006 07:48AM
Club sandwiches are always popular, and perhaps something like mini quiches.

Linda.

May 03, 2006 08:19AM
If you look back on my thread about my Easter party you will see what I served. Send me a pm if you want any of the recipes.
May 03, 2006 08:20AM
little corn fritters can be pre made and heated up when needed, spice them up if wanted with cumin, coriander and chili sauce and serve with sour cream and extra chili sauce.

Onion bahjis are again easy to pre make and heat up when needed.

cob bread filled with hot dips, served with extra bread and fresh veggies.

Or what about a few platters of salad, bread rollls ham with relishes/chutnies etc.

mini pies and or samosas

May 03, 2006 01:20PM
How about DIY hot dogs? with long rolls, frankfurters, onions, gherkin, chutney and mustard.

Meatballs and dipping sauce
Savouries made in bread cases

Ooh - my mind's gone blank - better rest it....

Cheers
Nozzie
May 03, 2006 08:44PM
What about doing a heap of baked potatoes, either in the oven or the crockpot. You could have various things like grated cheese, sour cream and some chutneys/sauces so that people can top them with whatever they like.
May 04, 2006 01:53AM
some of my favourites:

bread cases with cream corn
dim sims with dipping sauce
asparagus rolls
savoury eggs

These are oldies but goodies and very rarely there are any leftovers. Anything with pastry always goes down well with men!!!

cheers
Nellie
LJT
May 04, 2006 02:26AM
Little potatoes cut in half and roasted with salt and pepper, and smoked paprika or herbs are always a hit.
Can be cooked the day before and reheated too.
May 04, 2006 02:42PM
Hi some more thoughts
cream puff cases make small and fill with something savoury in a creamy sauce/white sauce type of thing--smoked fish, oysters, mushrooms,cheese & onion / pineapple, asparagus.
toasted rolled bread, cut off crusts from sandwich slice butter.apply filling to otherside, similar type to above, roll up (butterside out) and place join down in lined dish and toast in oven till lightly toasted ,can be sprinkled with cheese or sesame seeds
Dips with raw or blanched vegetable fingers-carrot,cauliflower florets,capsicum,corgette, mushroom, tomatoe
If you want something sweet small cream puffs again but use custard with fruit, or cold custard and set jelly, or with whipped cream and fruit, or set jelly, or a chiffon or foam or fool type mixture that is set and spoon in
Sweet dips,I use a peanut and chocolate dip from Alison Holst, fromage frae (spelling?) I make a type of cream cheese dip just cream cheese, icing sugar and juice of lemon and/or orange to get a good consistency and a flavour you like. serve wih pieces of fruit fresh or firm cooked fruit kiwifruit,mandarines,persimmon,banana,pineapple,apple,pear,grape,walnuts,
Fruit chiffon or whips but done on a biscuit or cooked base and cut in small squares.
Happy party
May 05, 2006 07:24PM
bump.... sorry need help the party is this coming weekend.

Have got some great ideas so far but need more.
May 11, 2006 06:58AM
<<<<<<<BUMP>>>>>>>
May 11, 2006 07:19AM
what have you decided to have Zeetra?

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
May 11, 2006 12:16PM
hey
i have done lots of little gatherings and what i find popular is

lots of small sweet things

e.g. fruit kebabs
marangs
chikin nibbles with a honey sauce (hit with the kids)
like sanwhich rolls you know like peice of bread with maybe thin chiken strips and some veges in the middle
e.t.c hope it helps
May 11, 2006 01:59PM
Hi Zeetra
Let us know what you finally have and how it goes.
How about a cheese ball or cheese log I do a log as It seems easier to serve.
Nan's Cheese Log.
Best made the day before.
4 oz Grated Tasty Cheese
2 oz chopped Ham (or salami or beer stick)
2-3 spring onions, (or chives)
2-3 tbsp Mayonaise
Mix together shape into log and wrap in foil or cling wrap.
chill in fridge till firm
Beat 2 oz cream cheese til smooth
spread over the log and roll in Chopped Nuts or toasted sesame seeds or chopped parsley
chill again then wrap till required
serve with plain crackers.

Happy party Jean
May 12, 2006 04:52AM
ok, so far the menu stands at

pizza
sausage rolls
mini bread cases
aspragus rolls
chicken nibbles
a few savouries
cocktail sausages
chop suey

For sweets I have

2 pavalovas ( homemade of course)
2 banoffie pies ( homemade of course)
piklets
fruit salad

Of course have chips and dip, fresh veges to dip, popcorn

So hopefully I have enough quantities of everything, we did stipulate that it wasnt a dinner so i hope they dont expect a full meal.
If so Maccas is up the road winking smiley

thanks for your help

Zeetra

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.