Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Hibiscus flowers!

Posted by TraceyA 
Re: Hibiscus flowers!
December 06, 2006 03:18AM
OK Ladies, I am obssessed now, is there no place that sells these fascinating things that also couriers them?
December 06, 2006 03:30AM
I thought I would buy some for Christmas but when I discovered they were $18 I changed my mind!
December 06, 2006 04:16AM
Sorry but the question has to be asked, are they real flowers, if so can you DIY????
December 06, 2006 04:33AM
I've got mine - the Auckland distributor emailed me this morning and told me my closest retailer was Fly ing Saucers at St Lukes - however - I would have preferred going to Mt Eden - nevertheless I am now the proud owner of 2 jars - one for me and one gift wrapped for some lucky visitor/last minute forgotten gift recipient!

$16 per jar - and they are labelled as "Native Hibiscus" - Australian native hibiscus (Hibiscus sabdariffa), Cane sugar, spring water

hand made, different, natural, 11 flowers in a jar - I think that's good value.

Four legs good, two legs bad. George Orwell
December 06, 2006 08:16AM
I have phoned and ordered these today so foodlovers will have them in stock as of Friday.
If you want a jar then do email me.

Helen
December 06, 2006 08:31AM
They are often one of the ingredients in herbal tea so I wonder if fresh ones put in a glass wouldn't look prettier?Maybe with a little glug of some pretty coloured liqueur.Sorry I haven't seen them so the ones in a jar MAY be pretty!I will have to imagine them.
December 06, 2006 10:25AM
here's what they look like....

[www.wildhibiscus.com]

December 06, 2006 10:49PM
Have ordered off Foodlovers. Thank you Helen! You are wonderful!!!
Warm Fuzzies
Lisa
December 06, 2006 11:48PM
I have e-mailed Helen for my jar also.
Looking forward to seeing them.
Thankyou Helen.

Kind regards,
-Kathie-
December 07, 2006 12:33AM
Sorry all you girls paying $17.95 a jar - just returned from Farro Foods, Lunn Avenue,Mt Wellington and they are $12.95 a jar and have heaps.
December 07, 2006 10:20PM
b****r !!
December 07, 2006 11:00PM
oh well! thanks Anne - what else do they have over that way? I'm looking for good quality (of course) reasonably priced oils and vinegars...

December 08, 2006 01:54AM
Honestly, its worth the journey to see their variety at Farro (I know I've been raving on about them recently but I really like the store and likewise all my friends!). Several afternoons a week they do demonsrations (in past week theyv'e had Ray McVinnie, Julie Buisoand Lorraine Jacobs. I've bought so many things there that I've never spotted on my travels before - a HUGE variety of oils and vinegars too Lynley. They also do gorgeous gift boxes which I bought for my husband's office - lovely black quality cardboard boxes filled with goodies (depending on your price range) and tied with a black and white ribbon with Farro written on. Maybe if you are making the journey over you could ring and find out times for demos. I also love their fresh fruit/vegetables - quality and prices beat other local stores. They are licenced to sell wine too.

(My only very slight criticism is the smell of fish when entering the store - Nosh has the same problem). Don't let it stop you coming though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2006 06:00AM by anneb.
December 08, 2006 08:18PM
In looking at the website that Lynley posted, I noted there were two different sizes of the Hibiscus flowers: one had 11 flowers for around $12.95 and the other had about 20 flowers for $17.95 (or something close to that), so before you start crying at paying more, check the size of your jar.
December 08, 2006 09:26PM
I was given a jar for my birthday. Good for something different - a talking point. I wouldn't have said they were hideous - just different and fun to try. I found people were keen to try them as they were something different. Wild Hibiscus Flowers in Syrup - I'm not sure of the price, but if you're interested, a phone call would tell you.

They are available in Gisborne from [www.downtoearth.co.nz] and they have a freephone number if you'd like to phone them 0800 787 999 (they are a health food shop who send products all around the country).

Have a great Christmas - it's going to be a miserable weekend here - just right for baking!! Cheers, Janet
December 09, 2006 03:29AM
Greetings ladies , was looking at Helens ( moderator) store site and one of the new things for sale is
Wild Hibiscus flowers in a syrup $ 15.00.... Wonder if thats what you are all looking for
ngaire
December 15, 2006 12:52AM
Hi All,

I too have been looking for these and have found them at Nosh for only $11.99 a jar. I've just been back to buy some for Christmas pressies and the pile was getting a bit low, hope they order some more in for the rest of summer!

Have a great Christmas!
Anna
December 19, 2006 12:34AM
Buy these from Helen! Somebody way back in this post said something that made me think they may be a bit naff - but I bought some (locally & paid too much) and last night decided they had to be sampled in case they were awful, and they're not! They are very pretty, whether open or closed, and taste lovely. So we will have them in the present-opening glass of bubbles at around 11.00ish on Christmas morning.
Happy Christmas!
Stephanie
December 19, 2006 03:22AM
I got mine from Helen the day I ordered them, so I can't complain - bring on Christmas morning bubbles...
However, I did notice that Rural Deli in Pukekohe had some, can't recall the price - may have been $12, but I am happy with Helen's deal...
December 19, 2006 05:10AM
Just had to go into Hamilton, and Urge have them at $18.30 !! Glad I got mine through Helen smiling smiley
December 20, 2006 10:47PM
The fruit is actually a rosella. I have grown these and the colour is ruby red. Noticed the local florist was selling them on the stem last winter. The jam is really delicious - along with cumquat, my two favourites.
December 22, 2006 02:45PM
Thought I posted re hibiscus flowers - however they are really rosella flowers - hibiscus family. I have grown them in my garden. They are the most beautiful colour and I notice that the local florist was using them in her floral displays.
Rosella jam and cumquat jam are my all time favourites.
March 02, 2008 01:51AM
Hi

Just wondering if you know where I can purchase these from. Had the flower's in Australia. Just wondering if you know of a stockist or a online ordering company. Its proving to be some what of a mission.

Thank you,

Monique
March 02, 2008 11:20AM
AS I mentioned earlier in this thread, i bought mine before Xmas at our Giftworld store in small jars next ot all the choc dessert sauces etc and they had about 11 or 12 flowers in them for around $&11 or $12 each jar.
March 02, 2008 09:00PM
Helen used to have them in the store on this website. Go back to the top of the page and click on store and do a search for them. But maybe she only has them in for Christmas. You could email her and ask.
March 03, 2008 03:31AM
The importer is NZ herb and spice mill
[www.herbandspicemill.co.nz]
I don't know if they will sell to you direct or point you in the direction of your nearest stockist.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.