Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

New Breville 280

Posted by feildo 
New Breville 280
July 28, 2007 11:58PM
Hey everyone,

I brought a Breville 280 yesterday and I have tried to make 4 loaves so far with no success. My last breadmaker which I had for 7 yrs I had no problem in getting a perfect loaf.
Every loaf I have made so far, doesn't seem to rise enough and is very dense and sticky, I have used the recipes in the breville manual that came with the maker, I have also brought new yeast flour and milk powder to use.

I have weighed out everything pretty accurately as well and added them in the sequence the recipe says to.

Does anyone have some insight to what im doing wrong, im hoping i have a fauty breadmaker now...seen as how the instructions are very simple to follow.

Cheers

Matt
Re: New Breville 280
July 29, 2007 01:58AM
Hi Matt.
I always remember my first disasters with a breadmaker. Are you using the New Zealand instructions with your particular machine? Don't forget to use Surebake yeast as well. I also find it helps to warm the flour in the microwave for 30 secs or so before putting it into the bread tin. If all this is of no help to you, I'd say you definitely have a faulty machine. Good luck whichever way it turns out.
Cheers
Andrew
July 29, 2007 02:46AM
Hi Andrew

Thanks for your input i will try what you said.
Just after i wrote the first post, tried it again, i used 3 tsp of surebake yeast instead of the 1 1/2 tsp which the recipe says to use.
It turned out better than the last 4 attempts, it rose to the lid and was looking good untill the last 10 mins,when the top sunk a little....still it was eatible.

Thanks, Matt
Please let me know where I can buy the base of the attachment means the motor for the attachments to use and make pasta and sausage..Thanks.
September 16, 2007 11:30AM
Hi Matt

I am having the same problem with my new Breville. I have used 3 tsps of Surebake yeast and the loaf still isn't great. I have used breadmakers before with no problems. If anyone is able to give a New Zealand recipe for this machine that would be great.

Thanks, Donna
September 16, 2007 01:18PM
Hi Donna,

I took my breville back to the shop and changed it with a Sunbeam bread maker, brought all new flour and yeast and tried again... i followed the recipe and had the same result as i had with the breville. I ended up trying different recipes and they were all the same.

I ended up overdosing on the yeast and got a perfect loaf...hahaha.
It said to add 1 1/2 ts yeast so i added 4 ts. I also added the water last.

Here is the recipe i used.

4 ts yeast
600 gms Flour
2 ts sugar
2 TBS of butter
2 TBS or Milk powder
2 ts salt
400 mls water

1kg loaf, medium crust setting

Good Luck

Matt
December 29, 2007 11:28AM

Man, I just thought the breadmaker had something against me, was considering taking it back, it was your recipe that convinced me I could actually turn out something great!

Thanks a bunch, let me know if you have any great wholemeal recipes!

Cheers, Iz.
Matt
December 30, 2007 01:14PM
Hey Iz,

I did take mine back.....probably didnt need to in the end...haha,

Anyhow, seems like all the recipes in the book need an extra one or two tsps of yeast.
Breville is an Auzzie make, so maybe Auzzie yeast is stronger than NZ yeast.

Good Luck

Matt
January 09, 2008 08:50PM
Hi

I got in touch with Breville customer service and received a prompt reply and some recipes. Email Madeliene Thompson [[email protected]]. I suggest everyone lets them know their product should come with recipes which NZers can use if they are selling it in NZ. While I have one or two recipes that work, I am annoyed because I bought it on the understanding there were a lot of recipes I could make with this breadmaker.

Give customer service the feedback and perhaps others might avoid the hassle we have been through.

Donna
January 10, 2008 10:39AM
Hey Donna,

Happy New Year

I doubt very much they will put out a book for NZ. I have still found that adding 2 tsps of yeast to the recipe seems to work fine.
I'd be intrested in seeing what recipes the Auzzie woman sent you, are you able to post them on here, or maybe email them to me.

Regards

Matt.
January 10, 2008 10:49AM
NZ Recipes for Breville Breadmaker model BB280

For best results place ingredients in pan in the order that they appear in the list. Use a NZ standard metric 250ml (1 cup) and NZ standard metric spoons. Check food measurements by placing cup on a flat surface and check measurements at eye level.

Basic White Loaf

1 cup tepid water, plus 3 tablespoons
3 1/2 cups High grade flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon light olive oil
1 tablespoon skim milk powder
3 1/3 teaspoons Sure Bake Yeast (red cap)

Setting – Basic
Crust – Medium

50/50 Wholemeal Loaf

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons tepid water
1 ½ cups wholemeal flour
1 ½ cups high grade flour
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 ¾ teaspoons Sure Bake yeast ( red cap )

Setting – Wholemeal
Crust – Medium

French Loaf

1 cup tepid water, plus 4 tablespoons
3 1/2 cups High grade flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 teaspoons Sure Bake Yeast (red cap)

Setting – French
Crust – Light

Spicy Fruit Loaf

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons tepid water
2 ¾ cups high grade flour
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 ¾ teaspoons all spice
1 ¾ teaspoons cinnamon
2¼ teaspoons Sure Bake yeast ( red cap )
¾ cup Sultanas TO BE ADDED AT BEEPS

Setting – Sweet
Crust – Medium

Potato Loaf*
*Not suitable for delay setting

1 cup tepid water, plus 3 tablespoons
3 cups High grade flour
1 cup Potato Flakes
11/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 1/3 teaspoons Sure Bake Yeast (red cap)

Setting –Basic
Crust – light

Mediterranean Loaf

1 1/4 cups tepid water,
4 cups High grade flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 3/4 teaspoons Sure Bake Yeast (red cap)
At the beeps add
2 tablespoons Olives, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons Sundried Tomatoes
¼ cup Mozzarella Cheese

Setting – French
Crust – Medium

PRE-MIX BREAD

The following are recipes for brands of bread pre-mix that we have tried, however the measurements below can be used as a guide for other brands.

Water and yeast are usually the only additional ingredients required to add to a bread pre-mix.

When baking with a pre-mix use New Zealand measuring cups and spoons. It is also important to check the cup capacity measurement of the bread mix.

Elfin Soft White Pre- mix

For best results, add ingredients in the following order:
Water
Pre-mix
Yeast

For each cup of pre-mix, use:
1 tsp Surebake Yeast
85ml warm water

Setting – Basic
Crust – Medium

Country Harvest Wholemeal Pre -mix

For best results, add ingredients in the following order:
Water
Pre-mix
Yeast

For each cup of pre-mix, use:
1 tsp Surebake Yeast
100ml warm water

Setting – Basic
Crust – Medium
Matt
February 07, 2008 01:07AM
Thanks Donna. :-)
Bea
March 03, 2008 01:41AM
Just discovered that Elfin has been discontinued, along with the fantastic 5kg bags of bread premix! Disaster! Edmunds (who owned Elfin anyway) have now brought out tiny 2.5kg bags for nearly the same price - $11.95. When I asked them they said it was due to low consumer interest, which amazed me. The premix was so easy, particularly when you just don't have time to do all the measuring, and you could still add your own flavourings.
March 12, 2008 03:32AM
Hi there, I am new to this forum, but have been browsing the bread recipes because I am about to purchase a breville bakers oven from trademe. My main concern is making organic loaves for my family because I have recently heard that when wheat is harvested, it is cut green, and then sprayed with fungicide. Once dry it is then milled, therefore retaining all the fungicide chemicals. Has anyone used organic flour in any of their breadmaker recipes?

Rana

March 12, 2008 08:44PM
Hi Rana, I've copied and pasted your query into the Foodlovers Food Talk forum because not all the members visit the Buy Swap & Sell forum and there are lots of us who make bread in various ways. Go to the top of the page and click on the Forum List in the bar just under the long red advertisement, then click on the Foodlovers Food Talk heading and you will be taken to the very active and friendly place where I have copied your post. Welcome, I hope you find the answer to your query and also become a regular contributor to our little family.
Lorna
March 12, 2008 11:31PM
Hi Rana. I have answered your query on the Food forum. Rachel.
Re: New Breville 280_DonnaC
April 25, 2008 05:45AM
Hey Donna, thanks so much for the recipes.
I can now enjoy some great bread!
May 13, 2009 05:35PM
Hi,
I was looking for wholemeal premix and so @ Coopers Beach 4-square noticed 1.5 kg of Pams white bread pre-mix for roughly $7 - that's probably enough for 3 loaves.

I want to make my own wholemeal loaves, so has anyone got any other recommendations for bread machine premixes?

Thanks!
July 22, 2009 02:12PM
I have this same machine and the recipes in the book dont work at all and I have sent then emails stateing that and thing arnt going well there

but i will try the recipes that i have found on this blog and give them ago

I dont think i would buy breville again if that make the recipes for one country and not the other

shaun
una
September 17, 2009 01:59PM
Hi The secret with the any bread machine is to look at the dough 5 or 10 minutes after the machine has started making your bread at the dough stage. Check if it is too sticky or too dry. The temperature where the machine is makes a lot of difference to how much water is needed and whether the loaf turns out sticky or too dry or doesnt rise enough or rises too much or has a bubble in the top. I RECOMMEND JENNY SHAPTER ULTIMATE BREAD MACHINE COOKBOOK . I swear by it and I have now two bread machines which are working very well .
una
September 17, 2009 02:00PM
Hi The secret with the any bread machine is to look at the dough 5 or 10 minutes after the machine has started making your bread at the dough stage. Check if it is too sticky or too dry. The temperature where the machine is makes a lot of difference to how much water is needed and whether the loaf turns out sticky or too dry or doesnt rise enough or rises too much or has a bubble in the top. I RECOMMEND JENNY SHAPTER ULTIMATE BREAD MACHINE COOKBOOK . I swear by it and I have now two bread machines which are working very well .
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.