Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

South Australia/Barossa/Melbourne

Posted by Helen Coveny-Bell 
Hello Everyone

I have returned finally. I am well and truly travelled out but we had a wonderful trip, ate too much, drank too much but have some wonderful memories of fun times. Traveled from Melbourne, to Adelaide via the Great Ocean road, which was amazing as the sea absolutely whips in, in parts and up on the cliff face where you drive is beautiful natural scenery. We stopped in several little places and explored. Spent 5 days in Adelaide and then ventured!!!!! into the Barossa Valley and spent 3 days there.
Dined at Maggie Beers Farm Shop/Winery and sampled her goodies plus had a beautiful lunch with wine to match the food. I had (very original) roast chook (her naming not mine) with spices & herbs with a delicate salad along side with a matching riesling (Superb) . Had a divine meal of Green beans, thinly sliced fennel, preserved figs and gorgonzola with a glass of Saltrams Mamre Brooke Cab Sav. (You can tell I really enjoyed that meal) It was just a superb match of flavours and to die for. Didnt need dinner after those meals. Had a genuine German meal in Hahndorf (Thanks for that tip Irene). Then back to Melbourne. Explored Lygon street but one meal there left a lot to be desired, poor service, food was okay and the atmosphere left us wanting. Decided to have dessert somewhere else and found the most wonderful Cafe Italia down a little lane off Lygon St and had a wonderful flourless orange cake with greek yogurt. The cake was absolutely tasty and wonderful, so made up for the poor service and okay food before hand. Ventured down the Southbank and had a couple of wonderful meals with friends there at No. 8 and at Waterfront. Both came highly recommended and full marks to the staff at No. 8. Very professional and very knowledgeable. Explored Queen Vic market and went there on the Wed night international cuisine night. Food from so many nationalities that it was confusing which to try. I ended up with Greek and Darrell SPanish ( both lovely).
Now home to work and into the gym (big time) and facing the heap of untouched work for 3 weeks.

Hope you are all well

Helen CB
Welcome Back Helen!!!! Glad to hear all went well and you enjoyed Hahndorf. This is interesting reading. Just to let you know Lynette is back here (flew in last Friday), but is camping up the Coromandel. We spent the weekend with them and had a glorious time up there. They are back Friday evening, up to Auckland on Sat afternoon for their early morning Sunday flight (glad its them not me!!)
Re: South Australia/Barossa/Melbourne
January 19, 2005 04:50AM
Welcome home Helen - it sounds as though your holiday was bliss - I haven't been to the Victoria Market for years, I think that they have really developed the foodie aspect a great deal since I was there last.smiling smiley
Welcome home helen I have missed your postings and emails.
Kind Regards
lisa
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.