Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

rusty biscuits cutters

Posted by Tammy 
rusty biscuits cutters
January 21, 2005 03:51AM
My Grandma has moved out of her house and in the clean up Mum saved me some things. As i am the foodie in the family amongst other things,i got the enamel pie tins - (which i have cleaned up to look like new) and also a cute little tin with the words "cutters" painted on the outside, and inside is a set of serated edge round cutters. they are quite rusty and i haven;t tried to attack them yet. Not sure whether a steelo pad is the best way or whether with being rusty they are not usable - any thoughts??

i also got 3 little pinnies (aprons) that I used to wear when i was about 3! Must have started young - they are so sweet!!! grinning smiley
Re: rusty biscuits cutters
January 21, 2005 05:46AM
Hi Tammy - I would use a steelo and then lightly oil them with a bland cooking/light cooking oil, I've done the same with mine after they were in storage and all is well.....
Jan
January 21, 2005 12:59PM
I would do the same as lynley has suggested, that was they will at least be usable again.....Jan
January 21, 2005 08:13PM
And don't forget to oil them lightly after each wash. Once rust gets a hold, it's hard to keep at bay.

Lorna
January 21, 2005 11:09PM
Tammy - the same thing happened to me. I was offered my Nana's old baking tins - no one else wanted them as they looking so gross - but I could see they were shapes you just can't get anymore and was prepared to give them a go.

I also landed her recipe and "hints" book and would you believe it included what to do with rusty cake tins.

I smothered them in oil and left them 24hrs - this helps to soften and lift the rust. The following day I soaked them in boiling water and baking soda until the water had gone cold - then scrubbed them with a steelo. I won't say they came up like new but they are perfectly useable and I now have my treasured Nana's special tins. I am careful to keep them oiled after every use - and have had them nearly 20yrs - whenever I use them I can feel her spirit with me - she was a great cook too so she inspires me.

Good luck - and sending you plenty of elbow grease - it is worth is.
Raewyn G
January 21, 2005 11:52PM
Something that no-one has mentioned so far is to make sure they are thoroughly DRY after washing, and before putting a little oil on. If your oven is still warm after doing the washing up, pop them in there to dry completely. It's the dampness that causes the rust, afterall. NEVER put them in the dishwasher!!!!! as I find the chemicals can react with the aluminium, so Hand Wash Only!

My dear old Mum passed on a hint to me years ago for rusty tins etc. My Nana used to scrub the tins, smear on some dripping and bake in the oven till blackened (Not Burnt). Then wash and dry them out again in a warm oven. Problem should be solved.

It is a frustrating problem I know, but my Nana's remedy does work. Have alot of 2nd hand cake tins, in fact I have never bought a new one.

Good luck
Raewyn Gsmiling smiley

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.