Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Washing machines and fridges

Posted by Kimberley Webb 
Washing machines and fridges
November 23, 2004 11:40PM
Hi everyone,

My partner are presenting involved in buying a house. I have justed five years at university so needless to say the house is going to be rather empty for a while. However, we have identified that we definately need to get a washing machine and fridge. I would be keen to hear any recommendations/comments/warnings regarding either of these items as we can't afford to make a mistake and buy a dud.

In addition are there any other ideas about 'must haves' that we should think of getting??

Thanks, Kimberley
Re: Washing machines and fridges
November 24, 2004 01:22AM
Buy a fridge bigger than you actually think you'll need. Its amazing how easy it is to fill it up.

In our current house we have a Westinghouse fridge which is great. It has a small freezer at the bottom. But we also have a frigidair fridge and freezer set in the garage. These two are now 13yrs old and still going strong. So hubby now has a large beer fridge. The old freezer I use for meat, bread etc.

We moved into this new house 3yrs ago, and bought a front loading Bosch washing machine, as there is a bench across the width of the laundry. I hate the length of time it takes to do a load - 2 hrs!! And if I had my way, would go back to a top loading washing machine. But then others love the front loaders as they're supposed to use less water, less powder but just more time. A few months ago, we actually had to spend $300 on the washing machine, as it had stopped spinning. So I wouldn't recommend a Bosch. I actually asked the repair guy about what was the best one, and he said they get a huge variety of appliances of all brands, in for repairs. He says its basically the luck of the draw if you get a dud or a good one.

Perhaps somebody here may have access to Consumer magazines, and see what they recommend.

No matter what you buy, within a short time it will be superceded by a new model.

Good luck with the appliance shopping. If you buy all the stuff in one hit, don't forget to ask for a good discount.

Linda.
November 24, 2004 02:01AM
Won't comment about the fridge, ours is too old to be included for comparison.... but do agree on the idea of go BIG. Washing machine, I have a F & P, Eco intuitive, that I ahve had for 2 yrs, it is great. I like the fact that it can wash at so many different water levels, and it just so easy to use, so far, no trouble what so ever. Would recommend it. Have tried front loading washing machines, at other prople's homes, and do not like them at all, take ages, and you can't find a sock under the bed, adn race to the machine, to pop it in... once going, it is too late. Annoying also the way the door stays locked for ages, after cycle finished, you can't just switch it off, and get the door open.
Kaye.
Megan
November 24, 2004 05:14AM
Hi - Washing machine, Ours is a Simpson one with the dials not the electronic one - love it!!

We had to replace our old one late last year after 13 years, that also was a Simpson one with dials.

And I would buy this make again.

Good luck with your new home and your studies!!! smiling smiley
November 24, 2004 07:52PM
I have a new Simpson Fridge to go with the Simpson dishwasher and stove that came with my new house. I like the dishwasher & stove, but I hate the fridge. It never seems to sit level, no matter how I adjust the legs, and it's so noisy! I've had a Zanussi front load washing machine for aobut 7 years and think it's great. The only problem I had was daughter put her bra in and one of the underwires got caught in the barrell, but that can happen to any washing machine. The time it takes doesn't bother me: put it on, walk away and come back later. The washing is all so clean. Zanussi must have changed their name, I haven't seen one in any advertising for a long while.

By the way, Kimberley, I hope English is one of your Uni Subjects smiling smiley, I had to read your first couple of sentences a couple of times to get the drift! ?:-( :/ grinning smiley

Lorna
November 24, 2004 09:09PM
Hi Kimberley,
When our old F&P washing machine broke down we bought a front loading Westinghouse and it was dreadful!! Took ages to run a cycle and didn't spin out half as much water as the F&P top loader did, so we sent it back and went back to F&P, its just the basic model, top loading and great!
When we moved to our new house 18 months ago it already had a "Whirlpool" fridge/freezer plumbed in. It has the icemaker and cold water "thingy" on the front....and we wouldn't ever be without it!!! So thoroughly recommend it:}
Cheers,
Sandra.

November 24, 2004 11:37PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. I have just re-read my first few sentences and I am appropriately shocked. My excuse is that everything seems to be happening at once and the message was posted in haste. I haven't studied English at uni but I would have prided myself I being able to write a decent message (especially as I am about to hand in a 40 page dissertation today!) I will let you know how things pan out. Thanks again, Kimberley
November 25, 2004 07:53AM
Having had a Bosch washing machine for about 10 years, I would recommend it to everyone. We have only had one problem with ours and that was this year, so would say that its very reliable. Ours does have a "short cycle" which takes about an hour and I use this regularly. The reason that there is a delay once it is finished, or stopped is a safety feature. It stops water pouring out if a child should try to open the door. Also, why would you want to add something when part-way through the cycle? It won't be washed properly! I wouldn't go back to a top loader again. Good luck with your purchases
November 27, 2004 07:28AM
The other thing I meant to mention about the front loader washing machines, is the rubber seal thing around the opening of the door gets very black and mildew looking. I've been back to the shop and apparently its a comman complaint, and they said its to do with the humidity of NZ air, and that they're designed for European countries. Also they advise to keep the door open as much as possible, but this is a bit hard when the machine is constantly going, when you're doing washing for a family.

Ours went black after about 6mths. Doesn't seem to affect the washing, but just looks pretty awful.

Linda.
I own a large Kleenmaid which washes well, but the kids own F&P as do a couple of my friends and family, and I really like the way the spin the clothes almost dry. So important in a wet climate.
I have always used a top loading washing machine but have a friend who swears by a front loader - she says they are so much more gentle on clothes.
December 17, 2004 06:26AM
Hi there,I agree with Lorna.We have simpson fridge and freezer and they are terrible for making a noise?:-(
January 25, 2005 08:55PM
Hi everyone, thought I would drag this message up and just let you know what we decided in the end - thanks for all the helpful messages. My partner, Damian, and I moved into our first home together over the weekend - it all went smoothly thank goodness - and the fridge and washing machine arrived yesterday. We ended up getting a 6kg Westinghouse top loading washing machine and Westinghouse bottom mount stainless steel fridge (with blue lights in the back of it which according to Damian are the best thing about it). Both look really good and we were pleased with the price that we got them for.

Just one more question then....how are you best to clean a stainless steel fridge??

Have a great day, Kimberley
January 26, 2005 03:57AM
Hi there,

I know you have made you purchase but I just want to give my opinion.

We have a westinghouse fridge/freezer....It is on the bigger size and is empty most of the time but I wouldnt change it for anything...

As for a washing machine...
i personally would never go any smaller than a 6-7 kg machine and I also would NEVER get an electronic one again. The mother boards tend to blow after a short time.

Unfortuanley we have a F&P machine it is 5 years old and has be broken 4 times in 3 years....
Next machine I get will be a Simpson...

Just my opinion

Zeetra
ditto Zeetra, re washing machines. I will never go electronic again. Have had a Simpson for nearly 4 years now and not one problem to date.
I did have a Westinghouse Fridge (not now), and also had no problems with it. I like them as a brand, but they were too expensive for me when I was setting up house again
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.